5/2 Games

NorthSideSox72

Syracuse @ Charlotte, 6:15pm CT, Whisler (1-2, 2.61) goes for the Knights

West Tenn @ B-Ham, 7:05pm CT, McCulloch (3-1, 2.42) starts for the Barons

Winston-Salem @ Wilmington just starting, A Carter (2-1, 3.75) starting for the Dash/Phallus

Lake County @ Kannapolis, 6:05pm CT, the intimidating G Infante (1-0, 0.75) going for the Intimidators

Are Whisler or McCulloch for real? When will Infante regress to the mean? And which is the superior Carter?

Questions to be answered tonight!

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 2, 2009 -> 06:50 PM)
McCulloch got rocked in the first...

Infante touched up a bit for the first time season. Gave up 4 runs (3 earned) in 5.2 innings, with only 1 K and 2 BB.

Reality check, check.

Regression to mean, check.

How is Wes doing?

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 2, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
When will we promote Danks to the awesomeness of Birmingham? Make an already awesome and ridiculously talented lineup even more so!

Where would he play? :lolhitting :lolhitting

I guess you bump Shelby somewhere?

Who cares about the actual teams and the line-ups? If JorDanks is ready to move up boot whoever off the Barons roster. It really doesn't matter. I don't think the Sox brass is worried about Southern League championships more than developing their talent for the big club.

If JorDanks, Beckham, Dayan, Allen and Flowers all playing together, maybe they just keep right on moving up together....

QUOTE (Cali @ May 2, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
If JorDanks, Beckham, Dayan, Allen and Flowers all playing together, maybe they just keep right on moving up together....

It's fantastic for our organization that Cook and Shelby are the chopped liver of this arguement.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 2, 2009 -> 06:34 PM)
It's fantastic for our organization that Cook and Shelby are the chopped liver of this arguement.

Well Cook's 28 and in AA, I don't think he has much of a future in the bigs, Shelby maybe cause he's got speed and is younger, but neither are hitting well right now anyway....

Ugliness tonight, that's all. Especially the top of the 6th. Although I will say I'm always impressed by Stefan Gartrell's opposite field power. I had a chance to meet C.J. Retherford, John Shelby III, & Matt Zaleski tonight. C.J. was nice, but he was in a hurry to get out to the batting cage behind the right field wall. I have to say John Shelby is a tremendous kid. Very nice, very personable. I've been a fan of his since he was at Kentucky, I told him that and he seemed to appreciate it. He was swarmed by little leaguers, and made time for all of them and was very nice to them as well. Matty Z is from Aurora, Illinois by the way. I have nothing to say about Todd Jones night, accept that he shouldn't...(pregnant pause) ever...(awkward pause) speak... publicly.

On a side note, you all may get your wish about Jordan Danks. With Jerry Owens opting for free agency, that leaves a roster spot open in Charlotte, and they'll need an outfielder. I would assume David Cook is going up. And, if Jermaine Dye goes on the DL, then I assume Josh Kroeger will go up to Chicago. That would still leave a roster spot open in Charlotte and a spot open in B'ham, both for outfielders. Danks takes the spot in B'ham, and say maybe a minor league free agent takes the spot in Charlotte. Owens is no longer available, he signed with Seattle.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 2, 2009 -> 10:37 PM)
On a side note, you all may get your wish about Jordan Danks. With Jerry Owens opting for free agency, that leaves a roster spot open in Charlotte, and they'll need an outfielder. I would assume David Cook is going up. And, if Jermaine Dye goes on the DL, then I assume Josh Kroeger will go up to Chicago. That would still leave a roster spot open in Charlotte and a spot open in B'ham, both for outfielders. Danks takes the spot in B'ham, and say maybe a minor league free agent takes the spot in Charlotte. Owens is no longer available, he signed with Seattle.

Okay, so Dye's fine. But, I still think David Cook goes up to Charlotte to fill the open outfield roster spot and Danks gets promoted to B'ham.

Okay, so Dye's fine. But, I still think David Cook goes up to Charlotte to fill the open outfield roster spot and Danks gets promoted to B'ham.

Man that would be insane. The speed/athleticism in the outfield?! Unreal. Shelby-Danks2-Gartrell... Wow.

Its so odd looking at Whisler's numbers last year and this year. He actually gives up a fairly large number of baserunners - hitters average in the .280's and .290's against him, and his walk rate isn't stellar. And yet, somehow, he keeps his ERA low. I can't figure out if he is just good at pitching beyond his ability level, or if he's fortunate and will get knocked around in the majors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 3, 2009 -> 06:29 AM)
Its so odd looking at Whisler's numbers last year and this year. He actually gives up a fairly large number of baserunners - hitters average in the .280's and .290's against him, and his walk rate isn't stellar. And yet, somehow, he keeps his ERA low. I can't figure out if he is just good at pitching beyond his ability level, or if he's fortunate and will get knocked around in the majors.

I don't think KW thinks Whisler is anything but minor league fodder at this point.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ May 2, 2009 -> 07:53 PM)
Where would he play? :lolhitting :lolhitting

I guess you bump Shelby somewhere?

You'd have Danks in CF, Shelby in LF, and Gartrell in RF with Cook being the 4th OF and DH. In that case, sucks to be Lee Cruz.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 3, 2009 -> 06:57 AM)
I don't think KW thinks Whisler is anything but minor league fodder at this point.

That's the impression I got - probably due to those peripherals. I still think he's intriguing though, particularly if we lose a lefty or two to injury or the like.

I kind of wish they had kept Whisler as a position player.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 3, 2009 -> 07:40 AM)
You'd have Danks in CF, Shelby in LF, and Gartrell in RF with Cook being the 4th OF and DH. In that case, sucks to be Lee Cruz.

With Owens gone, Pods in Chicago... I'd bet Cook goes back to Charlotte in the OF there. Jordan Danks then in B-Ham.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 3, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
With Owens gone, Pods in Chicago... I'd bet Cook goes back to Charlotte in the OF there. Jordan Danks then in B-Ham.

Yeah, I just read about that after I made that post so it's a definite possibility... but that lineup would be pretty sick:

1. Danks2, CF

2. Beckham, SS

3. Flowers, C

4. Allen, 1B

5. Viciedo, 3B

6. Gartrell, RF

7. Cook, DH

8. Retherford, 2B

9. Shelby, LF

Damn!