Yasser Gomez and Yadel Marti

chisoxfan09

I know we have discussed this topic backwards and forwards and Cubano has provided some good insight but hopefully the 2 Cubans from December 08 posts will finally get their chance to enter free agency and be picked up to 3-4 year contracts. In prior interviews both were open to playing for a few teams to include the White Sox but at KW at the Jan Sox fest laughed off the possibility of a direct question about the CF Gomez. I do not have a complete summary of Gomez´s skills but he does have quite a bit of International experience and Marti also has good control with a high 80´s to a very low 90´s fastball. I am hoping they can both be signed to maybe AAA contracts because they both have at least 5-7 years more experience that Viciedo and more international games under their belts. What kind of controbutions do you think either could make if we can get them to play at least 2 months of AAA ball? A Sep callup to rehearse in the bigs for next year? Any opinions? Any more knowledge tidbits out there to share with all of us?

Seriously the more Cuban talent we have in our system, the more likely a recent defector would be interested in joining the sox, and it just helps stave off some of the culture shock and builds a better atmosphere for them.

add to the fact that we probably have Jamie Torres on our payroll and it makes for great advantage for the south side.

Funny comment Beautox, I actually looked up Jaime Torres when MLBTR was first discussing Marti and Gomez and found his offices in Miami but they would not pick up the phone, always got VM. I wanted to know what his strategy would be and which teams had the inside track. I gotta believe KW will at least inquire and have a chat with Torres. We will see.

I would try to sign LHP Noel Arguelles first. He is 19-20 years old. He is tall and has long arms and can hit 90-94 MPH. All these Cuban players need to go to the minors to regain their shape. They have not played in a long time. I assume any signing would be toward 2010 MLB season. They can be evaluated in the minors this year.

The Braves have a lot of Cubans too.

SS Yunel Escobar

1B Barbaro Canizares

LHP Francisley Bueno

RHP Vladimir Nunez

OF Donel Linares

I would try to sign LHP Noel Arguelles first. He is 19-20 years old. He is tall and has long arms and can hit 90-94 MPH. All these Cuban players need to go to the minors to regain their shape. They have not played in a long time. I assume any signing would be toward 2010 MLB season. They can be evaluated in the minors this year.

The Braves have a lot of Cubans too.

SS Yunel Escobar

1B Barbaro Canizares

LHP Francisley Bueno

RHP Vladimir Nunez

OF Donel Linares

Cubano, according to MLBTR, the International Free Agent signing period officially begins in 2 weeks on 2 July so that means all of the Cuban players whose paperwork is ready can sign after that. Wonder what Jaime Torres is up to?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jun 17, 2009 -> 08:52 PM)
Could anyone imagine Scott Boras trying to be the agent of the some of the up and coming Cuban propsects once they are cleared as Free Agents? Good Grief!!!!!!!!! :crying :crying

Cubans usually end up with bad agents or people that are not agents after all. Cuban players are ignorant about how the system work and Cubans do not know much about the process of signing with an MLB team, agents, etc.

I just read a link on Cubano´s blog (In Spanish) that Torres the agent for the 19 year old potential FA pitcher Noel Argüelles is now ready to start a legal war with rival agents who have induced Argüelles to fire him and sign with them. I can imagine Torres´frustration as he has done all the background work to get these kids immigration paperwork ironed out. This kid would be a good pickup if we could ever swing it as he has a 90+ fastball and good control. Don´t have any statistics but I saw on a couple of forums elsewhere that he seems to have put on wieght. The Yankees are favored to be the leaders in signing him but who knows. Will more than likely be next year as Cubano posts on his blog before any of these 3 players are ready (There are 4 but the 4th is a SS psospect of which we have tons).