6/20 Games

danman31

Damn, I just posted the same thing. I read some stuff online about them while they were tearing up rookie ball and I could have sworn it was Hudson that was the suprise, possible #3-4 guy and Dexter Carter was the one to watch out for. Maybe you read whatever I read.

Well I followed them both in Old Dominion and saw them a couple times actually with the gun accuracy of course. But college is a different animal so people change when they reach the minors mechanically, or just filling out, etc.. With the scouting I've read I knew Huddy would increase from the 86-89 and occasional reach back to get extra on his fastball... but not this much. Very good find by the sox. I would definitely say this was a strong mechanic change that did this. Dexter as well, but he still threw harder, just the secondary pitches. Of course a mechanic tweak helps as well.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 11:27 PM)
That's great to hear. I knew (or rather heard) that he was getting his fastball up to about 95, but wasn't expecting him to be getting much higher than that. Was the higher velocity fastball his 2 seamer with the life or a 4 seamer without much life that he added? Cause if he was touching 98 and getting up to around 95-96 with the running fastball he has.... damn!

To be honest, it could be either one, I'm not sure. My view is from first base side.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 11:28 PM)
Well I followed them both in Old Dominion and saw them a couple times actually with the gun accuracy of course. But college is a different animal so people change when they reach the minors mechanically, or just filling out, etc.. With the scouting I've read I knew Huddy would increase from the 86-89 and occasional reach back to get extra on his fastball... but not this much. Very good find by the sox. I would definitely say this was a strong mechanic change that did this. Dexter as well, but he still threw harder, just the secondary pitches. Of course a mechanic tweak helps as well.

That is an enormous increase! I read before that because of a couple mechanical tweaks they each gained a couple ticks, but going from 86-89 as you say to touching 98 is unheard of. That's something you do in a video game or something, not in real life. If that gun in Birmingham is accurate then WOW!

That is an enormous increase! I read before that because of a couple mechanical tweaks they each gained a couple ticks, but going from 86-89 as you say to touching 98 is unheard of. That's something you do in a video game or something, not in real life. If that gun in Birmingham is accurate then WOW!

Well he did reach back in college to touch 92, but that's as high as I've seen him at least (anyone else can comment on that) Looks like he can reach back to touch 98 now if he's sitting 92-96 now so it isn't that far from an increase.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 11:52 PM)
Well he did reach back in college to touch 92, but that's as high as I've seen him at least (anyone else can comment on that) Looks like he can reach back to touch 98 now if he's sitting 92-96 now so it isn't that far from an increase.

His scouting video in college had him between 91-94 mph, IIRC, so an increase to 92-96 with maybe even touching 98 once in a while when he rears back isn't all that crazy, especially considering his mechanics have likely been refined a lot and as he's matured a bit body wise (most likely).

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 11:27 PM)
That's great to hear. I knew (or rather heard) that he was getting his fastball up to about 95, but wasn't expecting him to be getting much higher than that. Was the higher velocity fastball his 2 seamer with the life or a 4 seamer without much life that he added? Cause if he was touching 98 and getting up to around 95-96 with the running fastball he has.... damn!

Move over Ryan Sweeney? :lolhitting

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 20, 2009 -> 09:11 PM)
Wow, had no idea Hudson threw that hard. I thought he was low-90's and Dex was the one in the mid-90's.

NO, Huddy has good velocity. He tends to pitch more in the low 90's but he can get into the mid 90's. I wouldn't say he sits in the mid 90's though. I was stunned to hear he topped out at 98 though. Thats insane!!! His 3 quarter delivery is why I compare him a bit to Halladay who has that unique delivery.

. Hudson looked good, his fastball touched 98 at one point

98 mph?! Alright now even I am starting to get excited.

( I hope it's not Nick Masset's 98, Arnie Munoz 94 or Felix Diaz 96, though. ;))

Edited by Adele_H

Masset was throwing a legit 95 today.

generous gun. just as Linebrink likely didn't really throw 96 against the Cubs or Bobby Jenks -- 99 in Kansas City.

most of the time with the Sox Masset was barely 92-93.

not that velocity is everything. it just adds to the mistrust of minor league hype.

JP, it is possible to get the Barons games overseas on a live feed? If not do you know which local affliate carries their games? I checked out the MILB subsciption but didn´t see many AA games and definitely no Baron´s games.

QUOTE (Adele_H @ Jun 21, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
generous gun. just as Linebrink likely didn't really throw 96 against the Cubs or Bobby Jenks -- 99 in Kansas City.

most of the time with the Sox Masset was barely 92-93.

not that velocity is everything. it just adds to the mistrust of minor league hype.

I think a lot of that had to do with the Sox telling him to not worry about velocity and focus about pitching. He's been consistently clocked in the mid 90's all season in Cinncy (Masset that is). Do I think Hudson is going to come up to hte majors and throw 98 consistently, hell no, but I wouldn't be at all surprised with him in the 92-95 range.