Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

OK, I know there are multiple threads already in some fashion but this might start the do all be all Doc Halladay discussion. JP Riciarddi now in an interview quotes that he will listen to offers for Doc but must be blown away to deal him. Link at bottom of quote. OK let's roll with the comments and try and get Doc!!

:headbang :headbang :headbang

And while that doesn't mean Ricciardi is ready to sell Halladay off to the highest bidder, it sure does sound like he's willing to listen.

"We have to see what makes us better," he said. "Obviously, if people have interest in Roy Halladay, they'd better realize there's a steep price that's going to come with it."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/11925937/rss

Edited by chisoxfan09

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
If we don't want to give up Hudson, Beckham, Flowers, Danks, or Viciedo, we have no chance.

I hope you don't mean all together, that would be the dumbest trade in the history of sports.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:55 PM)
I hope you don't mean all together, that would be the dumbest trade in the history of sports.

I didn't mean that. In the "who is KW trying to shake loose" thread, everyone is saying that they wouldn't give up either of those guys.

Then how the hell do we get him? We don't.

If we don't want to give up Hudson, Beckham, Flowers, Danks, or Viciedo, we have no chance.

I tend to agree but as noted before he is turning 33 next year. But I am also optimistic that at least KW will pick up the phone and start a dialogue maybe centered on Poreda/Richard. That is a starting point. A lot going against Toronto (Yearly 4th place finish forecast for at least another 3-4 years minimum, Halladay getting older and wanting to be on a winner, they are losing money, etc). Just possibly the right ingrediants that may make Ricciardi ponder it enough. Plus Chicago s pretty close flight time to Toronto which is Roy's permenant home. I know I mis-spelled the last name before, sorry.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
I tend to agree but as noted before he is turning 33 next year. But I am also optimistic that at least KW will pick up the phone and start a dialogue maybe centered on Poreda/Richard. That is a starting point. A lot going against Toronto (Yearly 4th place finish forecast for at least another 3-4 years minimum, Halladay getting older and wanting to be on a winner, they are losing money, etc). Just possibly the right ingrediants that may make Ricciardi ponder it enough. Plus Chicago s pretty close flight time to Toronto which is Roy's permenant home. I know I mis-spelled the last name before, sorry.

I wouldn't give up any of Viciedo, D2, Allen, Hudson, Beckham, or Flowers for him. If we could do a deal centered around Richard and/or Poreda that's fair. But it's those 2 PTBNL's in the Peavy trade that worry me; if the list of PTBNL's included anyone like Hudson or Allen, then we can't offer that package. I'm not sure how they feel about Richard and Poreda, but I'd probably part with both of those lefties straight up for him. I wouldn't go much beyond that though, not at his age and with only 1.5 on the contract.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
To get Halladay it will take something special. Players salary is a great concern for the Blue Jays. I would say maybe Brandon Allen, and Poreda. just a guess.

Allen, Poreda, and Richard? Done.

They can have Link, too.

I wouldn't give up any of Viciedo, D2, Allen, Hudson, Beckham, or Flowers for him. If we could do a deal centered around Richard and/or Poreda that's fair. But it's those 2 PTBNL's in the Peavy trade that worry me; if the list of PTBNL's included anyone like Hudson or Allen, then we can't offer that package. I'm not sure how they feel about Richard and Poreda, but I'd probably part with both of those lefties straight up for him. I wouldn't go much beyond that though, not at his age and with only 1.5 on the contract.

Balta, didn't mention that if KW were to look at him then an extension would have to be discussed to make it worth it. Maybe to more years until the end of 2012. Just sayin cuz I think he is gonna rock until he is at least 36/37.

Do we really want to extend a guy who'll be 33 years old at the time?

Balta, I share everyone's concerns that he may be an over worked horse but you gotta get return on your investment. Just thinkin 2 more years to keep this core together until the end of 2012.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Balta, I share everyone's concerns that he may be an over worked horse but you gotta get return on your investment. Just thinkin 2 more years to keep this core together until the end of 2012.

By Core, what exactly do you mean? Because if we make an offer to blow away the Jays, we may not have much of a core other than the old guys that people are trying to move on from.

By Core, what exactly do you mean? Because if we make an offer to blow away the Jays, we may not have much of a core other than the old guys that people are trying to move on from.

Sorry, the pitching core we have at present excluding trade candidates (Buerhle, Danks, Floyd).

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
Allen, Poreda, and Richard? Done.

They can have Link, too.

And I'll pickup peanut shells in their stadium. That's a steal (and I do like all 3 of those players we'd be sending).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
Do we really want to extend a guy who'll be 33 years old at the time?

A LOT of pitchers pitch well into their late 30s and Roy seems to be a guy who has an arm made of rubber. A rotation of Halladay, Buehrle, Danks, Count and Floyd has World Title written all over it.

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
he's the best pitcher in baseball - wouldn't they want one of our STARTERS that isnt Richard, ie Danks or Floyd?

Allen and Danks?

not a chance in hell you trade a 23 yo Danks for a 33 yo Halladay. I wouldn't even do that straight up, let alone with Allen.