Halladay Superthread

chisoxfan09

I really think an offer giving the Jays two major league ready starting pitchers might be enough to tempt them if we include some potential from the minor league level. I know they want to ditch Wells or Rios, but they need to cut cash in a hurry, and no one will want those player without the Jays kicking in some cash, which they won't do.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
A LOT of pitchers pitch well into their late 30s and Roy seems to be a guy who has an arm made of rubber. A rotation of Halladay, Buehrle, Danks, Count and Floyd has World Title written all over it.

Since he is 33, a premier pitcher I would say Doc will be asking for a 3 or 4 year extension. Reinsdorf doesn't like to sign pitchers long term.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:55 PM)
I really think an offer giving the Jays two major league ready starting pitchers might be enough to tempt them if we include some potential from the minor league level. I know they want to ditch Wells or Rios, but they need to cut cash in a hurry, and no one will want those player without the Jays kicking in some cash, which they won't do.

Richard + Allen = Wells + Halliday + little money :)

Throw in Linebrink to unload that salary.

I am now thinkin a great package cold be centered around Poreda/Richard/Allen. But we don't pick up that terrible salary attached to Alex Rios. Never never kow what KW will do.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
not a chance in hell you trade a 23 yo Danks for a 33 yo Halladay. I wouldn't even do that straight up, let alone with Allen.

You're right.

Edited by Steve9347

I think people are over blowing the age thing. Halladay isn't a velocity pitcher, he tops out at like 92 with his fastball and sits around 89-90. We don't have to worry about a loss in velocity as much as we would for lets say an Oswalt. Plus, Halladay really isn't an injury risk either.

I think he will continue to be really good until he is 35 or 36, and even after his good years, I think he'll still be solid thanks to how good of a pitcher he is and how he uses all of his pitches effectively.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Throw in Linebrink to unload that salary.

No GM in his right mind would pick up Linebrink's bum shoulder and salary. Not even a megalomaniac half-wit like Ricciardi.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
I think people are over blowing the age thing. Halladay isn't a velocity pitcher, he tops out at like 92 with his fastball and sits around 89-90. We don't have to worry about a loss in velocity as much as we would for lets say an Oswalt. Plus, Halladay really isn't an injury risk either.

I think he will continue to be really good until he is 35 or 36, and even after his good years, I think he'll still be solid thanks to how good of a pitcher he is and how he uses all of his pitches effectively.

Halladay probably has another 2-3 really good years in him. But I still wouldn't trade a somebody like Danks for him.

I also don't see Ricciardi moving Halladay until the Jays are completely out of it, as his job is likely resting on how they do this season. They'll probably still be semi-competitive by the deadline, so I don't see him going anywhere until this winter.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
No GM in his right mind would pick up Linebrink's bum shoulder and salary. Not even a megalomaniac half-wit like Ricciardi.

All we gotta do is send the tape of the KC game where the gun had Linebrink at 97 mph

:lolhitting

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
Halladay probably has another 2-3 really good years in him. But I still wouldn't trade a somebody like Danks for him.

I also don't see Ricciardi moving Halladay until the Jays are completely out of it, as his job is likely resting on how they do this season. They'll probably still be semi-competitive by the deadline, so I don't see him going anywhere until this winter.

Agreed about Danks, but I was just saying in regards to a contract extension.

As for when they move Halladay, they probably can get more value for at least 1 and 1/2 seasons of Halladay than they can for 1 season of Halladay.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
not a chance in hell you trade a 23 yo Danks for a 33 yo Halladay. I wouldn't even do that straight up, let alone with Allen.

Don't be a Cub fan - you have to give talent to get talent. Why would the Jays trade Halladay for an unproven starter (Richard) and a minor-league hitter (Allen)? They have to compete with the Yanks and Red Sox.

If I'm Ricciardi, I want a major league starter in return that isn't some team's rookie 5th starter........ that's all I'm saying.....

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 03:30 PM)
Don't be a Cub fan - you have to give talent to get talent. Why would the Jays trade Halladay for an unproven starter (Richard) and a minor-league hitter (Allen)? They have to compete with the Yanks and Red Sox.

If I'm Ricciardi, I want a major league starter in return that isn't some team's rookie 5th starter........ that's all I'm saying.....

Dollah dollah bills ya'll.

lol, no way you trade Danks for Halladay. No way you trade Danks period. He's part of our core.

And no one is just saying Richard and Allen. Most ideas have been centered around a top prospect in Poreda, a decent prospect in Richard, a good prospect in Allen, and a few other players.

Blue Jays can keep Halladay for most of these trade ideas.

To put things into perspective, by the end of this season (barring injury) Halladay will have pitched around 911 innings in the last 4 years (ages 29-32).

At age 25 and 26 he pitched 239 and 261 ip, and subsequently only pitched 133 and 141 innings in the next 2 seasons.

So are we to believe that his body is more durable at age 32?

My answer is no, and would say that the amount of mileage being put on Halladay's arm is an accident waiting to happen.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 01:33 PM)
lol, no way you trade Danks for Halladay. No way you trade Danks period. He's part of our core.

And no one is just saying Richard and Allen. Most ideas have been centered around a top prospect in Poreda, a decent prospect in Richard, a good prospect in Allen, and a few other players.

Then don't make the trade, but I can't believe anything else will actually do the trick.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)

Halladay's average fastball last season and this season has been 92.7. He hits 95 multiple times a game.

The real point is throughout the whole thread halladay has been vastly underrated... and unfinished products in a middle of the pack farm system have been equally overrated. I love it.

Then you'd be the GM who couldn't trade Holladay. Yes, you trade talent for talent, but 23 yo talent and 33 yo talent are not equal. There are other factors involved than just pure talent, and trading a future ace @ 1/10 the salary and under control for years for an aging ace with about 10,000,000 IP and a sizeable salary + extenstion would be stupid as s***.

This is about money for the BJ's. They are bleeding money and will not be able to resign him anyway, so why not dump his salary for a couple good prospects while you still can.

The first two players Riccardi would ask for would be Beckham and Danks, almost positive on that. Also positive in saying that Kenny wouldn't trade John or Gordon. Honestly, since those names wouldn't work, I'm sure Tyler Flowers and Poreda would have to be involved. I think the only way something between us and Toronto would happen is if our package at least involved 3 really good prospects and at least another solid one. Maybe a package like: Flowers, Poreda, Allen/Dayan and Richard. I still don't know if the Blue Jays would do that but I really think they'd want at least something along those lines.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
Then you'd be the GM who couldn't trade Holladay. Yes, you trade talent for talent, but 23 yo talent and 33 yo talent are not equal. There are other factors involved than just pure talent, and trading a future ace @ 1/10 the salary and under control for years for an aging ace with about 10,000,000 IP and a sizeable salary + extenstion would be stupid as s***.

This is about money for the BJ's. They are bleeding money and will not be able to resign him anyway, so why not dump his salary for a couple good prospects while you still can.

Then I guess we won't get him. I wonder who will......

The first two players Riccardi would ask for would be Beckham and Danks, almost positive on that. Also positive in saying that Kenny wouldn't trade John or Gordon. Honestly, since those names wouldn't work, I'm sure Tyler Flowers and Poreda would have to be involved. I think the only way something between us and Toronto would happen is if our package at least involved 3 really good prospects and at least another solid one. Maybe a package like: Flowers, Poreda, Allen/Dayan and Richard. I still don't know if the Blue Jays would do that but I really think they'd want at least something along those lines.

Row, do you agree we gotta ask Halladay for an extension? Or next year if this by some miracle worked?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 6, 2009 -> 01:51 PM)

There is no way I'd give up anything close to that package for Halladay. We're better off with the kids and the money to go spend on FA's.