What do you still want to do this summer?

Texsox

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 10:54 AM)
Where in Texas? Bring your fan. It's been hot, when it's not been raining.

Houston. I haven't been there yet since they both moved last November, so I'm looking forward to seeing their new place.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
I melt rocks for a living. I hopefully have a couple post-doc opportunities set up looking at meteorites/mars/asteroids.

That sounds pretty cool. What did you major in as an undergrad? Good luck with your defense and post-doc. I'm majoring in Chemistry, and still am undecided what I would like to focus on in grad school. I'm debating between Organic and Physical Chemistry.

I've actually travelled more this summer than most, so my big summer ambition actually involves a project at work.

I have a 3 m giant squid (Architeuthis dux) in a large formalin bath that I'd like to build an exhibit display for and get on public exhibit by the end of September (it would be 4m + but its two long tentacular club arms are missing). It's going to likely involve a lot of acrylic and metal fabrication work with some custom lighting, and I'm trying to do it on a budget. At the same time, it's a scientifically valuable specimen (only the 27th specimen recorded from southeastern Atlantic waters), so I want to do right by 'Ol Stinky, as he's come to be known.

Yeah, I know how to party like a rock star during my summers. :D

olstinkycomp.jpg