Dye is seriously slumping

joeynach

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
Who was the last good hitter that the Sox developed through their farm system? (Besides Beckham, who went almost straight through from college.) Josh Fields? Chris Getz? Brian Anderson? Please don't tell me that you're relying on people like Jordan Danks to replace Thome, Dye, and Konerko over the next few years.

I'm not counting on it, but I wouldn't be spending money on Blalock (or a similar player) that is likely to want a multi-year deal. If I'm the Sox, I take another year of Thome who likes playing for the Sox and will likely come at a one-year deal and a very reasonable price. This buys time to see if the younger players develop while not tying the Sox into contracts with mediocre players.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 03:08 PM)
Meh, maybe not Blalock specifically, but the Sox need a younger veteran bat. Thome won't be sporting a .900 OPS for much longer. Rios was a nice start, but they need one more. At this point, you can't even rely on Quentin to stay healthy enough to build around.

With all due respect, name that player who can put up near Thome's production without costing an arm and a leg. The Sox have made their investments in Rios and Peavy.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
I'm not counting on it, but I wouldn't be spending money on Blalock (or a similar player) that is likely to want a multi-year deal. If I'm the Sox, I take another year of Thome who likes playing for the Sox and will likely come at a one-year deal and a very reasonable price.

I wouldn't be opposed to another year of Thome. But I also be on the lookout for a Blalock-like veteran who will help fill impending the massive hole in the middle of the lineup in 2011. Looking at just 2010 is short-sighted, IMO.

This buys time to see if the younger players develop while not tying the Sox into contracts with mediocre players.

Given what the Sox farm system has produced over the past five years, a "mediocre player" who can actually hit at the major league level might be a better option. Understand that Thome, Dye, Konerko, and A.J. will all likely be gone in 2011. Do you think that the Sox farm system will go 4/4 in replacing those guys? I like what I've seen from Flowers so far, but even going 3/4 with prospects is a long shot. I'd rather spend a little on a "mediocre" veteran left-handed bat who I at least know can hit competently at the major league level.

With all due respect, name that player who can put up near Thome's production without costing an arm and a leg. The Sox have made their investments in Rios and Peavy.

With all due respect, where's your guarantee that Thome's OPS is going to stay at .900 next year, when he turns 40? His batting average already way down this season, most likely due to his slower bat (he was whiffing at 89-91 mph fastballs in the Seattle series). When pitchers realize this and stop pitching around him, he'll draw fewer walks and his OBP will drop significantly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against bringing Thome back for one more year. But you have to consider what will benefit the team in the long run as well. Peavy and Buehrle will still be around in 2011, and it'd be a shame to run half of a lineup of Josh Fields and Brian Anderson-type players out there with them.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
I wouldn't be opposed to another year of Thome. But I also be on the lookout for a Blalock-like veteran who will help fill impending the massive hole in the middle of the lineup in 2011. Looking at just 2010 is short-sighted, IMO.

You are right, looking just at 2010 is shortsighted, which is why I want to keep open the chance that one of the guys from the minors gets a chance to succeed or fail. The team doesn't have so much financial flexibility to overpay for a mediocre player right now.

Given what the Sox farm system has produced over the past five years, a "mediocre player" who can actually hit at the major league level might be a better option. Understand that Thome, Dye, Konerko, and A.J. will all likely be gone in 2011. Do you think that the Sox farm system will go 4/4 in replacing those guys? I like what I've seen from Flowers so far, but even going 3/4 with prospects is a long shot. I'd rather spend a little on a "mediocre" veteran left-handed bat who I at least know can hit competently at the major league level.

I'm not some minor league optimist who believes all our top prospects are going to become stars, let alone productive major leaguers. However, I think that the talent shown so far in the minors suggests leaving one or two spots open to see if these guys succeed or fail. I don't expect the team to go 4-for-4 in replacing Thome, Dye, Konerko, and AJ, but I don't think they have to. If players continue to perform at the minor league level, you have to give them a chance to succeed at the major league level, or you can spend a ton of money. The hardest production of those 4 to replace is AJ's production at C (offensively, at least) and the left handed power of Thome. The right handed power of Dye and Konerko can be replaced more cheaply through FA.

With all due respect, where's your guarantee that Thome's OPS is going to stay at .900 next year, when he turns 40? His batting average already way down this season, most likely due to his slower bat (he was whiffing at 89-91 mph fastballs in the Seattle series). When pitchers realize this and stop pitching around him, he'll draw fewer walks and his OBP will drop significantly.

There's no guarantee. People have been making that claim about Thome for the last couple of years. He has shown a decline but nothing so precipitous to suggest that he's gonna fall off a cliff next year. In fact, his numbers are slightly improved this year over last.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against bringing Thome back for one more year. But you have to consider what will benefit the team in the long run as well. Peavy and Buehrle will still be around in 2011, and it'd be a shame to run half of a lineup of Josh Fields and Brian Anderson-type players out there with them.

I've been one of the biggest opponents of a full "youth movement," but I recognize the importance of bringing a player or two along each year to keep replenishing the major league talent pool. You're exaggerating my point of view by suggesting I want "half a lineup" of those type players in 2011. In 2010, there's only one open spot: Dye's. Depending on what happens in 2010 in the majors and the minors, the team can decide what to do with the contracts ending after 2010 (Konerko and AJ). This also assumes that KW makes no additional trades on the offensive side, which is hard to believe. In short (too late!), I think the Sox need to give talented minor leagues a shot one (two at the most) at a time in the next couple seasons.

In any case, this has been a good discussion WCSox! :gosoxretro:

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 23, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
You sign Thome for 2010. He retires at the end of that season, then you move Konerko to DH and Viciedo takes over 1B.

Personally this is the most realistic thing I can see. As much as I love Dye...I think his time is done here with Rios being on board.