Flowers voted Southern League's best defensive catcher

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
kind of hard to believe because NOBODY was calling him a top defensive catcher last year.

They were calling him a guy who might have to move to first base or DH.

Saw him play in AAA severall weeks ago. Looks a little stiff and mechanical behind the plate.

Not only that, but he was being called terrible and a future corner infielder.

Wow...

Withholding excitement because he looked pretty bad this spring, but still great news. Can't wait to watch him in ST as he should see a lot of time. I thought the biggest concern going into the season was whether his bat would play at 1B, but so far he has answered those questions in the affirmative, so the improvement behind the plate is just gravy. It would be fantastic to finally be able to develop a strong all-around catcher after years of Ben Davis, Josh Paul, Mark Johnson, etc.

'

I do hope we can bring Castro back at near the minimum and ease Flowers in instead of throwing him into the fire right away.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
I want Flowers up and in a Platoon next year too, but seriously who is going to give Castro that money?:

If he's platooning with AJ, where would Flowers play against righties? 1B? DH? I guess if we had PK, AJ, and Flowers split up the C, 1B, and DH spots we could get them all enough playing time, but I really think we're going to need a lefty DH.

Maybe we can pick up a lefty RF to replace Thome's bat, but finding a good defensive lefty-hitting right fielder who can also get on base and hit for power is like finding Amelia Earhart in the bottom of the ocean.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
If he's platooning with AJ, where would Flowers play against righties? 1B? DH? I guess if we had PK, AJ, and Flowers split up the C, 1B, and DH spots we could get them all enough playing time, but I really think we're going to need a lefty DH.

Maybe we can pick up a lefty RF to replace Thome's bat, but finding a good defensive lefty-hitting right fielder who can also get on base and hit for power is like finding Amelia Earhart in the bottom of the ocean.

We're never DHing the backup catcher unless we carry 3 catchers.

I have no real problem with Flowers getting 250-300 PA'ss next year with fairly generous use as a a platoon player behind AJ while he hopefully learns the staff and realizes his time is coming and his time there puts him a year closer to FA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
We're never DHing the backup catcher unless we carry 3 catchers.

I have no real problem with Flowers getting 250-300 PA'ss next year with fairly generous use as a a platoon player behind AJ while he hopefully learns the staff and realizes his time is coming and his time there puts him a year closer to FA.

Again, unless one of the bench guys can play catcher. Then you don't have to worry about it.

Heck even if you don't have that, the once or twice a year it MIGHT come up that you need that 3rd guy AND Flowers happens to be at DH, its so rare, its not a huge worry.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 01:22 PM)
Heck even if you don't have that, the once or twice a year it MIGHT come up that you need that 3rd guy AND Flowers happens to be at DH, its so rare, its not a huge worry.

While this is true...here's the question you have to ask yourself...is it something our manager would do?

Unless KW straps him down and orders him to get Flowers 400 PA's at gunpoint, Ozzie just won't do that. He's never risked having his backup catcher at DH. Ozzie would probably rather put Flowers at 1b if he needs more AB's.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)

Christian Marrero.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
Well that's pretty awesome. If Flowers can be even an average defensive catcher, with his bat, he is a real find. I had joked before that I wish we could combine Donny Lucy's defense and Tyler Flowers' offense into a single super-catcher, but this is getting close to that.

Donny Lucy has actually been slipping defensively.

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Wow, that's really nice to hear. JPN, what did you think about Flowers' defense when you saw him in AA?

I think the results speak for themselves, but the only flaw I saw was his footwork. But, even that seemed to improve over time as he was gunning down baserunners.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
Donny Lucy has actually been slipping defensively.

Everything is slipping for Donny. He's pretty much toast at this point, and I am sure he knows that. I hate to say that, because I really wanted him to succeed, but he's an extreme long shot to see the majors now. He's hitting barely over .200, in AA, at 27, after having played that level 2 years ago. Plus his injury, and if his defense is slipping... his value is just gone.

I hope I'm wrong.

Do these type of awards often go to top offensive players/prospects (a la gold glove voting)? Is this mostly based on CS% or do you think the managers have a good handle on overall defensive prowess?

How much of his improvement might have to do with weight loss?

Edited by JorgeFabregas

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 04:18 PM)
Can he catch too?

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 13, 2009 -> 04:45 PM)
Yes, he can catch the ball at 1st, LF and RF.

I think he meant play catcher (which I don't think he can).

Marrero is definitely becoming an interesting prospect. He hasn't done enough to make me believe he will ever be a starter, but I really think he could become a great backup at LF, RF and 1B at the major league level. He seems to have the perfect blend of average and power you'd want in a corner bench player. I'm sure the Sox will keep a close eye on him because of his left-handed bat.