AAP: Leighton Pangilinan

DaTank

I've been following this guy since I couldn't find any info on him earlier in the season.

Name: Leighton Pangilinan

Born: March 6, 1991

Height: 6'3

Weight: 230

Position: 1B

Bats: Left

Throws: Right

School: Escalon High School (California)

Drafted: 2009, 40th Round - 1213 overall

2009 Stats (Bristol):

AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS SH SF GIDP OBP SLG OPS

.299 44 144 11 43 10 0 4 22 6 34 0 1 1 2 6 .327 451 .778

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 25, 2009 -> 01:34 AM)
That's fine. So he would be mine?

Yes, well, assuming you want him.

I should have edited the title before I moved it to a board I couldn't moderate.

<_>

Edited by Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 24, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
I've been following this guy since I couldn't find any info on him earlier in the season.

Name: Leighton Pangilinan

Born: March 6, 1991

Height: 6'3

Weight: 230

Position: 1B

Bats: Left

Throws: Right

School: Escalon High School (California)

Drafted: 2009, 40th Round - 1213 overall

Stats at Bristol:

AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS SH SF GIDP OBP SLG OPS

.303 37 119 8 36 7 0 3 15 4 24 0 1 1 2 6 .325 .437 .762

Great name, too. Pangilinan and Shoemaker on same team.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

His "about me" on myspace does make me cringe a bit though.

HEY EVERYBODY MY NAME IZ LEIGHTON PANGILINAN I'M FILIPINO,HAWAIIAN,WHITE MIX AND PROUD OF IT I'M 18 RIGHT NOW 6'2"MORE TO LOVE I GO TO ESKI HIGH IN THE 209...MY THING I DEW 24/7 IZ BASEBALL IM PLAYN IN BRISTOL,VIRGINIA FOR THE CHICAGO WHITESOX ON THE MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM TRYN TO FOR FILL MY DREAM TO PLAY IN DA MLB...THEN THERE IS THE MOST AMAZING GIRL I HAVE MET IN MY LIFE KAYCEE DANEILLE GONZALES SHE IS MY LOVE AND WILL ALWAYZ BE FOREVER AND EVER AND THEN THERES DRAWING ITZ SOMETHING I DEW ALSO I ALWAYZ GET IN TROUBLE IN SKOO CUZ I DRAW SO MUCH AND I DON'T TAG I JUS DRAW GRAFFITI ITZ TIGHT HOW IT LOOKS AND JUS DEWN IT I'M A REAL GREAT GUY TO GET TO KNO I TREAT DA LADIES WIT RESPECT DON'T TALK s*** AND TRY TO BE FRIENDZ WIT EVEREYBODY WHO WILL LET ME AND DATZ HOW I AM LUVN LIFE AND MEETING NEW FRIENDZ WELL DATZ ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT ME SO IF U WANNA KNO MORE COME HIT ME UP WIT A COMMENT AND TALK IGHT THANKZ

• 9 months later...

Leighton's starting the year as the starting 1B for Great Falls. Doesn't strike out as much as your average 1B (34 times in 44 games last year) but also doesn't walk much either (6 times). Still, I find him to be a very intriguing prospect for a prep player taken in the 40th round.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Filling in for the missing poster...

Leighton was a nnice surprise for a 40th round pick in 2009, putting up high averages and a little power in Bristol in 2009, and Great Falls in 2010. But that all go sidetracked in late 2010, when he broke his arm in an altercation off the field, missing some time that year.

2011 he spent mostly repeating Great Falls, putting up numbers that were actually a little worse than in 2010. He was in Kanny for 19 games as well, and seemed overmatched.

Here in 2012, having just turned 21, Pangilinan is in Kanny. He started off on fire, but has fallen off since, and currently has a .252/.328/.400/.728 line. For a firstbaseman, he needs to do better than that, and he's striking out a fair amount too (35 K in 124 PA). He's still young, but a 40th round pick with a history of off-field issues really needs to make more happen with the bat to be taken seriously as a prospect.

• 5 months later...