Phillies sign Thome

OfficerKarkovice

Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice

Pending his physical the deal apparently done.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2002/1202/1470010.html

A couple reasons why this is good........

1. Thome can no longer launch baseballs thrown by White Sox pitching into the right-field bleechers at Jacobs Field.

2. He didn't go to the Cubs

3. Tribe now has no superstar players!

Great move for the Phillies. They get a leader in Thome as well as a guy that will help launch Phillies baseball into their new stadium in 2 years.

I'm glad we won't have to see him on the Sox. Hopefully we'll meet him in the World Series, cause i'd love to just see the Sox in the series.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Great move for the Phillies.  They get a leader in Thome as well as a guy that will help launch Phillies baseball into their new stadium in 2 years.

I'm glad we won't have to see him on the Sox.  Hopefully we'll meet him in the World Series, cause i'd love to just see the Sox in the series.

I think that if the Phillies dont show a helluva lot of improvement this next season....... heads are gonna roll starting with Bowa.

Now the Indians can concentrate soley on the younguns.

I guess Lee Stevens will start at first for them until they can develop a prospect.

Also, the Cubs signed left handed reliever Mike Remlinger to a 3yr deal with just over 10 million. ESPN is reporting that.

Guest hotsoxchick1

hey the tribe still has little omar dont they? or did they get rid of him too???? i figured thome would end up in philly....they did make the better offer and we all know money talks in most cases i dont care how many times someone says its not all about the cash.... besides this contract they offered him guarentees we wont have to see him in the al for quite a few years...........

Also, the Cubs signed left handed reliever Mike Remlinger to a 3yr deal with just over 10 million.  ESPN is reporting that.

FUUUUUUUUCK! Now we're gonna have to dodge all these Cub fans' harsh words when the win the World Series this coming year! :D

Originally posted by HeatherTheRedbird

Also, the Cubs signed left handed reliever Mike Remlinger to a 3yr deal with just over 10 million.  ESPN is reporting that.

FUUUUUUUUCK! Now we're gonna have to dodge all these Cub fans' harsh words when the win the World Series this coming year! :D

Like it or not Sox fans..... this is a move in the right direction for the North Siders.

Guest hotsoxchick1

lol heather... we still have to get past minny yet.... dependig on who they dump and keep this off season they could be the only team to be reconed with.... as far as little omar on the tribe jason he has a no trade clause in his contract which would guarentee him retirement in cleveland...... he has to approve of it first before they can deal him off.........dont look to him going anywhere anytime soon.......

How is signing a 40 year old reliever for 3.3 mil a year a "step in the right direction"?

They still have gaping holes in their lineup, and Hee Seop Choi and Bobby Hill won't fill them.

I'm VERY surprised Thome signed with the Phils. With no #1 ace, or slugger, the Injuns will probably place 3rd in the central this year. But, they have a great farm system, and I expect the Sox and the Tribe to compete very closely for the AL Central crown for the next half decade or so.

I'd have to say the Indians are probably going to contend this year....for the cellar. Their biggest bat is Ellis "My knees are so f***ing old they are about to fall off and they creak and moan when I walk because I forgot to re-lubricate them with WD-40" Burks. He is still a hell of a hitter and could hit the s*** off the ball, but that's about it. I wouldn't expect anymore 30-30 seasons from him...hell, I wouldn't expect him to get a double for the rest of his career. Sabathia is their ace as of now, and they got a pretty good core of young starters, however, we know what it's like to have young starters. Their offense may be slightly better than mediocre, and their bullpen will be in about the same area....and I haven't said a thing about their management.

I'd say a 67-95 season would be a step in the right direction...hell, that'd be a great season if you ask me personally. Thome carried that team on his back and if not for their 11-1 start, they would have lost 100 games EASILY.

The new Indians slogan: Early 90s Indians here we go again...maybe when we are good again, we will actually win a World Series!

Great move for the Phillies.  They get a leader in Thome as well as a guy that will help launch Phillies baseball into their new stadium in 2 years.

I'm glad we won't have to see him on the Sox.  Hopefully we'll meet him in the World Series, cause i'd love to just see the Sox in the series.

Juat a word of warning: The "P" on his cap and helmet will stand for Pressure,not Philadelphia.Having relatives who live half an hour from Veteran's Stadium (the home of the Phillies),Thome will be expected to have a cape on his shoulders with a red "S" on his chest.And if he doesn't,the Phiilie faithful will let him know about his shortcomings in a heartbeat.This is a group that,on a Sunday close to Christmas some time back,threw ice balls at Santa during an Eagles half time show.The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Otherwise,i'm happy that mofo is out of the A.L.!!:D:D

Originally posted by Cerbaho-WG

How is signing a 40 year old reliever for 3.3 mil a year a "step in the right direction"?

They still have gaping holes in their lineup, and Hee Seop Choi and Bobby Hill won't fill them.

I'm VERY surprised Thome signed with the Phils. With no #1 ace, or slugger, the Injuns will probably place 3rd in the central this year. But, they have a great farm system, and I expect the Sox and the Tribe to compete very closely for the AL Central crown for the next half decade or so.

How is it not a step in the right direction? Remilinger has been the best set-up man in the majors the past 3 years. Cubs bullpen was arguably the worst in the division last year..... Remlinger = reliever..... Cubs = bad bullpen....... seems intellegent to me.

They have other needs but this was a good signing. Also not their only signing.

they'll also get Kent or I-rod before this season begins.

Originally posted by Murcielago
Originally posted by Cerbaho-WG

How is it not a step in the right direction? Remilinger has been the best set-up man in the majors the past 3 years. Cubs bullpen was arguably the worst in the division last year..... Remlinger = reliever..... Cubs = bad bullpen....... seems intellegent to me.

They have other needs but this was a good signing. Also not their only signing.

they'll also get Kent or I-rod before this season begins.

I heard the sCrUBS were interested in I-Rod and possibly Vidro. This is the first I heard of interest in Kent.

People have implied that they will make a push at Kent because Baker is their and Kent has stated he wants to play for Dusty.

The only substantial stuff I've heard is they have talked with the expos for Vidro and Vazquez and they seem to be interestd in Pudge, but only if they can move Hundley.

They also have been rumored to possibly make a push at Blalock.