Something to consider on the potential trade front.

southsider2k5

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:14 AM)
So you have seen Beckham play SS at the major league level.........Send me the link.

I have seen Beckham play short at the collegiate level, the minor league level, and in spring training. So while I might not have seen 200 of his games, I have seen that he has limited range for a shortstop and a good enough arm (not a Ramirez or Uribe or Aybar or Furcal arm).

Basically put, he'd be a Michael Young at shortstop in time (back when he used to play ss). That isn't great and that isn't awful, but it is limited range and upside to ever be anything but an average defensive shortstop.

Ramirez has more range, a stronger arm, and softer hands. Everything about his defensive abilities says he can be a plus defensive shortstop.

Oh and scouts happen to agree with me, as does Ozzie, who I would have to think knows a thing or two about playing shortstop.

I have seen Beckham play short at the collegiate level, the minor league level, and in spring training. So while I might not have seen 200 of his games, I have seen that he has limited range for a shortstop and a good enough arm (not a Ramirez or Uribe or Aybar or Furcal arm).

Basically put, he'd be a Michael Young at shortstop in time (back when he used to play ss). That isn't great and that isn't awful, but it is limited range and upside to ever be anything but an average defensive shortstop.

Ramirez has more range, a stronger arm, and softer hands. Everything about his defensive abilities says he can be a plus defensive shortstop.

Oh and scouts happen to agree with me, as does Ozzie, who I would have to think knows a thing or two about playing shortstop.

Dude I have been the biggest Alexie supporter from way back.........But he is LAZY and hasnt lived up to the hype at SS.

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
Dont be so quick to dissmis Beckham at SS.

Hey, if we had a stud 3B prospect down in the minors or some other options that I thought were great long-term chances than I'd give Beckham ever shot at seeing what he could do at SS.

But the fact remains we have a better option in-house and don't have anyone else knocking on the door which would open up the potential to move Ramirez.

Hell, even if we did have someone else knocking on the door, you could argue that you'd benefit the most by moving Beckham to 2B, the other guy to 3B and keep Ramirez at SS.

Hey, if we had a stud 3B prospect down in the minors or some other options that I thought were great long-term chances than I'd give Beckham ever shot at seeing what he could do at SS.

But the fact remains we have a better option in-house and don't have anyone else knocking on the door which would open up the potential to move Ramirez.

Hell, even if we did have someone else knocking on the door, you could argue that you'd benefit the most by moving Beckham to 2B, the other guy to 3B and keep Ramirez at SS.

I like Nix at 3rd.............

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Dude I have been the biggest Alexie supporter from way back.........But he is LAZY and hasnt lived up to the hype at SS.

What hype? Anyone that understands the game of baseball realizes there is a major adjustment period to playing a new position at the major league level. Ramirez had very limited experience at SS (and that includes the Cuban leagues).

This was his first full-season in some time at shortstop so I would expect there to be lots of issues in regards to him learning positioning and the nuances of shortstop as well as just adjusting to the differences in fielding from short than 2nd (footwork is different, etc).

Ramirez got better each and every week and by seasons end he was an above average defensive shortstop and you'll find that many on here agree with that sentiment. Next year he'll be even better because of the tools I listed earlier that Ramirez possesses.

And if you don't believe me, go look at my posts in march where I said the Sox were going to be awful defensively and that Ramierz growing pains would be a large reason why.

What hype? Anyone that understands the game of baseball realizes there is a major adjustment period to playing a new position at the major league level. Ramirez had very limited experience at SS (and that includes the Cuban leagues).

This was his first full-season in some time at shortstop so I would expect there to be lots of issues in regards to him learning positioning and the nuances of shortstop as well as just adjusting to the differences in fielding from short than 2nd (footwork is different, etc).

Ramirez got better each and every week and by seasons end he was an above average defensive shortstop and you'll find that many on here agree with that sentiment. Next year he'll be even better because of the tools I listed earlier that Ramirez possesses.

And if you don't believe me, go look at my posts in march where I said the Sox were going to be awful defensively and that Ramierz growing pains would be a large reason why.

I dont disagree at all..........But he is a comodity and Kenny will move him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 01:24 PM)

I disagree here, strongly, and that is what worries me about Lexi at SS. He didn't improve, at all - he played in September the way he played in April-May. Defensively, he went nowhere. I was hoping, like everyone else, he'd improve, as he did show signs of potential. But he didn't.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
I disagree here, strongly, and that is what worries me about Lexi at SS. He didn't improve, at all - he played in September the way he played in April-May. Defensively, he went nowhere. I was hoping, like everyone else, he'd improve, as he did show signs of potential. But he didn't.

I disagree, I think he was much better late in the season than he was earlier in the season. He looked much more comfortable, had better footwork, etc.

Is this guy serious?

If your talking to me .........Yes..........I would trade Alexie and if I dont trade him for a stud 3rd basmean I would have no problem playing Nix at 3rd..........Now would that make him better then Beckham at 3RD I Dont know,but Beckaham at SS a POSITION he's played all his life is not out of the question.

I think a better question would be what you have see that makes you think he isn't?

My point was I heard Beckham on the radio very recently and he said he PREFERRED to play short out all the positions he can play.And YES i trust him since he's played the DAMN position before.

QUOTE (East Side Z @ Oct 23, 2009 -> 02:24 PM)
So according to a lot of people Nix is a very good second baseman and that makes him totaly ineligable to play 3rd,correct?

Actually it would be Nix's horrible defensive play at anywhere but second base that disqualifies him if you ask me.