White Sox sign Andruw Jones

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:28 AM)
In baseball, elbow inflammation is not an injury. It's a symptom of poor mechanics and poor conditioning.

No, it's not always. It could also be a correction of mechanics, putting him into an arm slot he hasn't used before. Anytime you start using new muscles and tendons, you risk injuries.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 08:26 AM)
So it what, five or six games, you have seen enough of two minor leaguers that you can project their minor league arc AND their major league futures?

Quit your day job, and go into baseball.

:aussie:

You were "curious" and I answered your question. Was I not supposed to?

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
In baseball, elbow inflammation is not an injury. It's a symptom of poor mechanics and poor conditioning.

No it's not.

As Mike said it could be a mechanical issue. I slightly tore something in my shoulder in high school when I played baseball and it had nothing to do with conditioning.

I see you did mention mechanics. However, mechanical problems and conditioning problems are two very different issues.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
No, it's not always. It could also be a correction of mechanics, putting him into an arm slot he hasn't used before. Anytime you start using new muscles and tendons, you risk injuries.

He played a full AA season at 3B. His mechanics were addressed almost a year ago when he prepped for ST. There are no variances in arm slot for 3B like there is across the field at 2B.

The point is, if he maintained his workouts he wouldn't have had that problem. Shutting Viciedo down in AZ was not taken lightly. The AFL was considered an important measure of his first year progress

after committing a critical $10M to him last offseason. That $10M could be used to sign a key FA these days. The Sox as an organization are not standing for these conditioning issues anymore as has been widely reported recently and they shouldn't. I like that the team is prioritizing defense and conditioning this year. Those are two "secondary concerns" that hurt the team in 2009.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
No it's not.

As Mike said it could be a mechanical issue. I slightly tore something in my shoulder in high school when I played baseball and it had nothing to do with conditioning.

I see you did mention mechanics. However, mechanical problems and conditioning problems are two very different issues.

They are different but they are a critical marriage. Conditioning is not just cardio and diet. It's maintaining the optimal "condition" of your body to deliver.

Poor conditioning of muscles/tendons...etc. allows for poor mechanics to result in injury. Mechanics alone didn't cause your injury. Mechanics alone would have simply

allowed/not allowed you to execute the plays effectively.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 2, 2009 -> 09:43 AM)
He played a full AA season at 3B. His mechanics were addressed almost a year ago when he prepped for ST. There are no variances in arm slot for 3B like there is across the field at 2B.

The point is, if he maintained his workouts he wouldn't have had that problem. Shutting Viciedo down in AZ was not taken lightly. The AFL was considered an important measure of his first year progress

after committing a critical $10M to him last offseason. That $10M could be used to sign a key FA these days. The Sox as an organization are not standing for these conditioning issues anymore as has been widely reported recently and they shouldn't. I like that the team is prioritizing defense and conditioning this year. Those are two "secondary concerns" that hurt the team in 2009.

This stuff doesn't have to happen right away. Also realize he played more games this year than he ever has played, with new mechanics.