White Sox sign Andruw Jones

Big Daddy Kool

The problem with Pods was not speed or contact, maybe not even as much defense as in the past.

The problem was the fact that he'd do Lonnie Smith impersonations when he got on base. He just showed no awareness when he got on base. The man was picked off or thrown out due to poor jumps, more than anyone that I can remember in the last 5 years.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 28, 2009 -> 02:50 PM)
The problem with Pods was not speed or contact, maybe not even as much defense as in the past.

The problem was the fact that he'd do Lonnie Smith impersonations when he got on base. He just showed no awareness when he got on base. The man was picked off or thrown out due to poor jumps, more than anyone that I can remember in the last 5 years.

Yeah, that wasn't good. The reality, though, is that you will have a difficult time finding a leadoff hitter that isn't flawed in some way. And you hate that stuff because it seems easily fixable, but as long as he does other things right, you kind of just have to live with those faults. Ultimately, he scored a fairly good amount of runs for a team that was not good at driving them in. More often than not, Podsednik put himself in position to score.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 28, 2009 -> 03:03 PM)
The big question, why couldn't a scientist just clone Rickey Henderson?

The paradox. Rickey would be confused, because Rickey is the best of all time. But if Rickey is the best of all time, then how is Rickey the best of all time?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
Are you guys worried about our team speed heading into next year?

Ranger?

Others?

Yes or no.

We'll have to see the other moves. Right now, without Thome and Dye, that's 2 base cloggers gone. However, the Sox had 113 SB last year, and assuming Lillibridge and Nix are both in AAA or elsewhere, 78 of those SB have departed with 17 coming back. So while the team speed might be a little better, I think the baserunners need to be schooled a lot better. Of course you will have Rios for an entire year and if he can get on base he can get you a steal. It doesn't appear the home runs are going to be like they were in the heyday, so moving runners and stealing bases will be important. I know some don't think strikeouts are a big deal, but the Sox are going to have to cut those down and use their outs to get something done.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 02:21 PM)
We'll have to see the other moves. Right now, without Thome and Dye, that's 2 base cloggers gone. However, the Sox had 113 SB last year, and assuming Lillibridge and Nix are both in AAA or elsewhere, 78 of those SB have departed with 17 coming back. So while the team speed might be a little better, I think the baserunners need to be schooled a lot better. Of course you will have Rios for an entire year and if he can get on base he can get you a steal. It doesn't appear the home runs are going to be like they were in the heyday, so moving runners and stealing bases will be important. I know some don't think strikeouts are a big deal, but the Sox are going to have to cut those down and use their outs to get something done.

78+17= 105?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 29, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
Are you guys worried about our team speed heading into next year?

Ranger?

Others?

Yes or no.

Only reason I dislike the Andruw Jones signing, because it knocks De Aza off the roster as the speed guy from the bench, unless we really do have a rotating DH.

Though Alexei, Rios, Beckham aren't slow and could all have possibly 20 SB. If we get Pods he could have 40 SB, but be caught 15+ times.

But who am I kidding.

Paulie will have 100 SB.

Little tidbit from Jon Heyman's SI article abaout offseason moves:

18. Kenny Williams, White Sox GM. The White Sox weren't expected to do much, but they've already traded Chris Getz and Josh Fields for Mark Teahen, and signed Andruw Jones and Vizquel, two big-time former stars. Williams surprised folks by forging a deal with Boras for Jones, whom he has coveted for years (they tried many years ago to pry him away from the Braves). Boras, who's had a sticky relationship with Williams, also tried to sell him on signing Crede rather than trading two young players for the talented unproven Teahen. But apparently détente has its limitations.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ....shakers/1.html

Edited by CSF

QUOTE (CSF @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
Little tidbit from Jon Heyman's SI article abaout offseason moves:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ....shakers/1.html

As I said before, the best Joe can hope for is a minor league invite, and the minimumish salary. I wouldn't be opposed to that, but I would for sure go into camp with someone else as the starter.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Nov 30, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
Crede trying to do what Pods did last year...hmm...

If it came down to accepting a minor league deal, I wonder if his top two choices would be here and his hometown Royals.

If Crede could return I'd be ecstatic to have that glove and bat back at third.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 01:20 AM)
Maybe I should have clarified....

If he was healthy (could get over back issues) and possibly return to '06 form, I'd be ecstatic.

He hasn't been able to make it through a full season healthy since 2005. What makes you think 2010 would be the year?

Let's just get the usual stuff out of the way:

--Yes, he was good for about 1.5 seasons with the bat

--Yes, he was very good defensively at one point, when his back was only an occasional problem

--Yes, he played a big part in the championship, and we'll always love him for that

--Yes, we all played more f***ing Journey on our iPods for 2 years than should ever have been the case

--No, he's not healthy

--No, he hasn't been able to play a full season in years

--No, he's not worth the investment

--No, he is not a great bat, career-wise

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
He hasn't been able to make it through a full season healthy since 2005. What makes you think 2010 would be the year?

Let's just get the usual stuff out of the way:

--Yes, he was good for about 1.5 seasons with the bat

--Yes, he was very good defensively at one point, when his back was only an occasional problem

--Yes, he played a big part in the championship, and we'll always love him for that

--Yes, we all played more f***ing Journey on our iPods for 2 years than should ever have been the case

--No, he's not healthy

--No, he hasn't been able to play a full season in years

--No, he's not worth the investment

--No, he is not a great bat, career-wise

He had a 12.5 UZR last year (23.4/150) and he's not even healthy. Knock his bat and health all you want but the guy can still pick it.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Dec 1, 2009 -> 07:21 AM)
He had a 12.5 UZR last year (23.4/150) and he's not even healthy. Knock his bat and health all you want but the guy can still pick it.

No doubt he's damn good with the glove, but there have also been times (2007, 2008) when his back was clearly hindering his play. And that's when he could even take the field.

I own just one actual, official, White Sox jersey - and it has the name CREDE on the back. He was one of my favorite players to watch play defense. I'm just saying, unfortunately, his health is a huge issue, and his bat hasn't been consistently good since 2006.