KW just traded Foulke/Johnson/Joe Valentine for Koch?

bulokis

Okay, I was waiting patiently for any Sox move for some time now. I havent posted anything bcoz I am so disappointed we havent gotten any starter yet (of course I want Bartolo Colon.) Then, I checked back here yesterday and there's a post about foulke for Koch. Ok, I said may be this is a good move, we get a real closer now and not having a guessing game in 9th inning who will close out.

Today, I just got home and saw from the Sox's website that we traded Foulke, Johnson and Joe Valentine for Koch and 2 PTBNL. Its okay for me to let Johnson and Foulke go for Koch but why did we have to give up Joe Valentine. I think without Valentine, the trade seemed equal to me. But KW just keep giving up to much to get what he wants. Does KW knows the other side really wants our players also and we dont need to give up too much. Why would the PTBNL for us is Joe? Do you guys think KW will get high quality guys like Valentine for our 2 PTBNL from A's? I dont think KW is that smart!!!!

Anyway, what do you guys think about this trade? For me I cant believe we gave up Valentine bcoz he is not just a minor leaguer, he has so much upsides in him that he can play in MLB.

If we need a guy to replace Valentine AND Foulke, it's Edwin Almonte. Almonte had better numbers than Valentine in AA by 1/2 a run and Almonte compiled a 2.24 ERA in Charlotte this year. Almonte is a Foulke clone, but for 5,700,000 dollars less.

Wait and see who the two prospects are, then complain :D

you know what is weird. the reaction the rumor and actually trade have gotten different reactions from both teams. The A's fans for the most part seem to not like the trade, and so do we.

it all depends on those two minor leaguers. HOPEFULLY they are AA and above, relitively young, and perferebly position players.

if we got an outfielder and shortstop in the deal, even if they are just midlevel prospects, I could feel better about this.

My first post was just my initial anger towards the trade. I guess it all depends on who we get for those 2 PTBNL from the A's. Hopefully we get players with close to a major league talent because I think Valentine will make it to MLB soon.

well, let us look at this way.

we gave up three guys, and got three guys. so compare

Keith Foulke VS. Billy Koch

Both have put up similiar numbers. Only difference is Koch not only wants to be a closer, but is more of a typical closer. He will also be here for 2-3 more years as opposed to Foulke who would've been gone to venture onto his starting career. Foulke is good, but we are getting a closer. before this, we weren't sure on who it was.

Mark Johnson VS ?????

Joe Valentine VS ?????

Now obviously Valentine is a top prospect and we more than likely aren't getting anyone who will be similiar or better. But the key hopefully is to get two solid guys, where one is clearly better than MJ.

because then we would've traded a top prospect closer and a weak hitting backup catcher for two minor leaguers are worse than Valentine, but better than Johnson.

that make sense? cause what i'm trying to say is we didn't win nor lose on this deal. I can't compliment KW on this though, because we didn't solve any big problem. it'll be interesting what will happen next, because we won't go into ST with two catchers.

Originally posted by bulokis Do you guys think KW will get high quality guys like Valentine for our 2 PTBNL from A's? I dont think KW is that smart!!!! 

You just answered your own question. When was the last time a PTBNL turned out to be a HUGE star? GM's must be salivating to deal with this jerkoff KW. Foulke should have gone straight up for Koch. Even though I'm not disappointed to see MJ go, Foulke and MJ for Koch was too much. Now KW throws in Valentine too. AND I'M GETTING SICK AND TIRED OF KW TRADING FOR PTBN-f***ing-LATER! :mad:

This was a very good trade indeed. We lose a closer who is a liability, as well as a catcher who is below average, and we gain a closer who is far from old who has POSTSEASON EXPERIENCE!

This move solidifies our bullpen, which will be one of the strongest in the league. A strong bullpen makes for a stronger starting rotation, as the starters feel the comfort of good back-ups. Moves such as this are subsequently going to make Wright and Garland better pitchers.

Originally posted by Cerbaho-WG

If we need a guy to replace Valentine AND Foulke, it's Edwin Almonte. Almonte had better numbers than Valentine in AA by 1/2 a run and Almonte compiled a 2.24 ERA in Charlotte this year. Almonte is a Foulke clone, but for 5,700,000 dollars less.

Wait and see who the two prospects are, then complain :D

Plus we have another hard throwing righty Gary Majewski who I always mention every time people say we moved JB for nothing. This guy has great stuff, to me better stuff the Joe Valentine and when he suceeds in AAA next year, and eventually makes it to the show, we'll see why Joe was dealt, plus, Koch is a stud.

Some people are saying we'll be getting some decent prospects in return too.

I simply love Koch so I like this deal. We were going to lose Foulke at the end of the year and no way would we ever of gotten this kind of value for him midseason. Who would think we could get a closer whose just about to enter the prime of his career and will be a Sox for the next 3 years.