Grad School for Accounting

SnB

Just starting to look into it now. I got my bachelors in Economics, but I'm looking to specialize and I think Accy would be a good fit for me. I'm seeing that most schools have an MS in Accy that's open to folks who didn't get their Bachelors in it. It seems like some schools require A TON of prereqs (UIC) while others require one or two classes (Depaul, Roosevelt).

Any school recommendations / what to stay away from? (Looking to stay local)

Any advice in general?

What is your ultimate goal? If it's to sit for the CPA exam, an MA program is the way to go.

If it's not, perhaps an MBA in Finance might be more suited for you. Along with the MBA in Finance, you could sit for an exam like the CMA and still get a good accounting related position (more in an analysis role). The CMA will force you to understand management accounting and model things out.

Just some thoughts to pass your way.

I would definitely try to bypass any of UIC's pre-reqs and go to Roosevelt or DePaul. Preferably DePaul. If I'm not mistaken, DePaul has got one of the best business schools around...I might be going for a Master's in PR or some bulls*** like that at DePaul.

Steve if you want to chat more thoroughly about accounting let me know. I'd assume I'm one of the experts on the board in the field and I'm still pretty fresh blood so I've been through it all and honestly it depends on what you want to pursue as to whether accounting would be the right choice.

Tons of potential if you go that route, but it depends on what you want to do with your career. Ie, if you are willing to put yourself through some hell for a few years.