Runners Thread

maggsmaggs

So for all you runners, who's got races coming up? I have two half-marathons in Chicago, the first one being in June. I am excited, trying to go sub-90 minutes. I have been at 92 minutes in pretty hilly courses in Madison and Columbia, Mo., so I feel like the flatness of Chicago should definitely take two minutes off my half-marathon time. What's everyone else got? 5Ks, 10Ks, halfs or fulls?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010's going to be a big running year for me. Last year was my entrance to the racing 'circuit', as I did a variety of 5 and 10Ks, in addition to a couple of odd distances (15Ks).

I'm going to do the Shamrock Shuffle 8K in March to kick off my year. I'm also signed up for four Pikermis (Google it) this year: IU Mini-Marathon (4/3), Indy Mini-Marathon (5/8), Chicago RNR Half (8/1), and Fort4Fitness (9/25). I imagine I'll add some local 5 and 10Ks to the schedule throughout the summer.

My ultimate goal for this year is to run the Chicago Marathon (10/10) this fall, to complete my first ever 26.2.

I still feel like a big novice to the sport, so I don't really have any definite goals, except for to improve on what I did last year. My PR in a 5K was 20:22, so I would love to eclipse 20 minutes this year. My PR in the 10K is 45:30 and the 15K is 1:07:33; I would like to shave minutes off of those as well.

I'm running a half marathon next month out in Vegas. I've never really run before, just started in early November. I did the 8k Turkey Trot in Lincoln Park on Thanksgiving and am up to 10 miles in my training, so I should be ready for it.

I have an idea of how fast I should be able run it in, but my #1 goal will be to get to that finish line. After I see how this one goes, I'll probably decide if I want to do more in the summer/fall.

• 1 month later...

Ran my first ever half marathon Saturday in Vegas. Finished just under 2:05, which is way better than I thought I would. Probably could have had a better time too, but miles 9-11 were mostly all uphill, which was killer late in the race. Three days later my legs are still sore as can be, so still not thinking about what future races I might do. One thing I do know is that I could never do a full marathon. After this half was over, I couldn't imagine running another 13 miles at that point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 09:47 AM)
Ran my first ever half marathon Saturday in Vegas. Finished just under 2:05, which is way better than I thought I would. Probably could have had a better time too, but miles 9-11 were mostly all uphill, which was killer late in the race. Three days later my legs are still sore as can be, so still not thinking about what future races I might do. One thing I do know is that I could never do a full marathon. After this half was over, I couldn't imagine running another 13 miles at that point.

Ah, don't say that. I have run multiple half-marathons and two full marathons. First, once you legs feel normal and you start running again, you'll be back to good thinking you can run all the time again. Second, the pace you would run your full marathon is likely two minutes per mile slower, if not a little more. It's normal to say that right after a race, I do all the time haha. In a week, you'll start thinking about the next race. CONGRATS THOUGH!! :cheers

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 12:11 PM)
Ah, don't say that. I have run multiple half-marathons and two full marathons. First, once you legs feel normal and you start running again, you'll be back to good thinking you can run all the time again. Second, the pace you would run your full marathon is likely two minutes per mile slower, if not a little more. It's normal to say that right after a race, I do all the time haha. In a week, you'll start thinking about the next race. CONGRATS THOUGH!! :cheers

first of all, i love your sig. perfection.

i was considering doing the Chicago Marathon this year, or at least half, but a good friend's getting married that day so it doesn't look like it's in the cards... maybe next year.

• 3 weeks later...

IU-Mini-Elevation.gif

Ran my first half yesterday and finished in 1:40:36. I didn't really know where I would finish, as I had never run this distance on a clock. I was hoping to finish between 1:40 and 1:45. Extremely rewarding feeling after finishing the race.

Definitely the toughest track I've run; I have the elevation posted above. There's obviously nothing to compare to that here, and we also had a torrential downpour for miles 8-13. With my half-cherry popped, this race has got me excited for the rest of the year, as things will only get easier/better than my first one.

My next race is another half, as I'm running the Indy-Mini in May. My goal is to break 1:40.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 4, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
I don't know how you long distance runners do it. I can run on a treadmill for a mile or two, but half marathon, marathon, etc, you guys amaze me.

^^^^

I hate running unless it is playing a game or something like that. So, I can never get excited to just go out for a run. However, big props to you all who can do that.

QUOTE (vandy125 @ Apr 5, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
^^^^

I hate running unless it is playing a game or something like that. So, I can never get excited to just go out for a run. However, big props to you all who can do that.

Even in the years I ran XC, I had that problem.

Honestly for me, there is nothing I love more than on a nice, sunny Sunday morning just running from my house to the beach and back. About 8 miles. I love just being one of the few people out that early on the morning, running on the sand near the water while listening to music. For me, it's just the definition of relaxation. Not to mention I eat whatever the hell I want after. Yesterday, ran 15 miles and 5 more this morning and just ate myself into oblivion and didn't feel bad about it. And congrats Greasy, 100 minutes for the first half marathon is awesome, especially on a tough course. No doubt you can break 100 minutes next time out.

Edited by maggsmaggs

• 1 month later...

Now I see what kind of effect those hills had on the first half-marathon, as I finished the Indy Mini-Marathon in 1:34:40. Very pumped with my time. Running on the Speedway was definitely the toughest part of the race IMO; it was very cool to do though, as I had never been to the track before. With my new time, I can now submit to start in Corral B at the Chicago Marathon.

Also, I've been telling myself, if I broke 100 minutes, I would finally reward myself by getting a Garmin. Do any of the runners on here have a running watch? Is there any difference between the 205 and 305, outside of the heart monitor?

QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ May 10, 2010 -> 07:09 AM)
Now I see what kind of effect those hills had on the first half-marathon, as I finished the Indy Mini-Marathon in 1:34:40. Very pumped with my time. Running on the Speedway was definitely the toughest part of the race IMO; it was very cool to do though, as I had never been to the track before. With my new time, I can now submit to start in Corral B at the Chicago Marathon.

Also, I've been telling myself, if I broke 100 minutes, I would finally reward myself by getting a Garmin. Do any of the runners on here have a running watch? Is there any difference between the 205 and 305, outside of the heart monitor?

I got the 305 but that's really the only benefit that I know of is having the heart monitor.

Congrats on your time! This was my third time and by far the worst I have done with a 2:17:13

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 13, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
Did the 13.1 Chicago Half-Marathon today. Hit 87 minutes, 45 seconds. PR by about five minutes. So happy. Now on to doing nothing the rest of the day.

Show off. LoL

Awesome job.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome thread and good racing maggsmaggs.

I ran a 1:33:40 half marathon on a hilly (and somewhat sandy) course in Ludington, MI two weekends ago. Followed it up the following Tuesday with five sub six minute miles in a race called Mile Madness in Lisle/Naperville/beats me where Nequa Valley is (five 1600 meter time trials at five different tracks the same evening) then ran a sprint triathlon (700m, 14mi, 4.5mi) in Palatine on Sunday.

My goal is to break 3 hours at Chicago. I would love to qualify for Boston as well (need to break 3:10). After that, I want to compete in a half Ironman and maybe one day, a full Ironman. All of those are pretty lofty goals but I feel if I am committed and work hard, they're attainable.

QUOTE (SuperSteve @ Jun 29, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
Awesome thread and good racing maggsmaggs.

I ran a 1:33:40 half marathon on a hilly (and somewhat sandy) course in Ludington, MI two weekends ago. Followed it up the following Tuesday with five sub six minute miles in a race called Mile Madness in Lisle/Naperville/beats me where Nequa Valley is (five 1600 meter time trials at five different tracks the same evening) then ran a sprint triathlon (700m, 14mi, 4.5mi) in Palatine on Sunday.

My goal is to break 3 hours at Chicago. I would love to qualify for Boston as well (need to break 3:10). After that, I want to compete in a half Ironman and maybe one day, a full Ironman. All of those are pretty lofty goals but I feel if I am committed and work hard, they're attainable.

Damn. You hilly half is very impressive, especially sandy too. Nice work. How many miles you run per week?

Ran a 40:45 10k (6.21mi) on another hilly course on Saturday. It was in Stroh, Indiana and there was probably less than 100 total people for the 10k and 5k combined. I was out there visiting my aunt and uncle's lake house. The weird thing about the race was there was no water and the 3rd and 4th miles were not even marked. Since there were so few people, I ran by myself for 95% of the race (couldn't even see anyone for 85% of it). It turned into a glorified training run.