White Sox All-Decade Team

TitoMB345

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
White Sox All-Decade Team

What do you guys think? Besides my obvious hate of the pick of Juan Uribe, the only one I question/laugh at is John Danks as one of the 5 best starting pitchers. I would have gone with Loaiza for 2003, like the article states.

I'm fine with Uribe. For every homer that Valentin hit, he would throw the ball into the 1st bsae stands on a routine grounder. Doesn't Loaiza also get credit for netting us another one of the top 5 SPs via trade??

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 01:16 PM)
Carlos Lee, Magglio Ordonez, Jermaine Dye in the OF.

I tell you what, they'll hit 110 home runs between them, and they'll be the worst defensive OF in history.

This year they might hit 75 between them, if JD can find a job.

Only 14 times did a White Sox starter put up a 120+ ERA+ this past decade:

7 Buehrle

2 Danks

1 Loaiza

1 Contreras

1 Garland

1 Sirotka

1 Vazquez

The top ERA+ season is Loaiza at 159, Buehrle has a couple in the 140's and Danks is #4 with the 138 he put up in 2008.

Given that he's 1 of 2 Sox starting pitchers to have multiple well above average seasons (in terms of ERA+, anyway) it's kinda hard to keep him out of the rotation. Jose Contreras had a 4.47 ERA, 1.35 WHIP and 104 ERA+ in a White Sox uniform. I suppose 2005 trumps all.

One could argue Valentin for SS given his .247/.319/.483/.802 line and 136 HR in 5 seasons with the White Sox compared to Uribe's .251/.293/.431/.724 and 87 HR over 5 seasons but Juan's defense and appearance on the 2005 team gives him the easy edge. The only other candidates would be Cabrera, Clayton and Alexei none of which spent enough time at short to warrant a case.

Actually, I would have gone with Peavy for the 5th spot. His innings last year with us were awesome, ha. He was 3-0, with a 1.35 ERA, 344 ERA+, .850 WHIP, with 18 K's in 20.0 IP.

Honestly, I'm just kidding, but I do have a huge man crush on this guy already. Can't wait for the season to start!

C AJ Pierzynski (Do I have to remind you why?)

1B Paul Konerko (by default)

2B Alexei Ramirez (Sexy Alexei brought us to the playoffs the last time we made it)

3B Joe Crede (default)

SS Alexei Ramirez(yes, I did it)

RF Magglio Ordonez(never had a bad year with us; just left on bad terms)

LF Carlos Lee (very good)

CF Scott Podsednik (what? I can't choose him. Fine, I choose rolling plastic bag in CF between 2000-2004)

DH - Franklin James Thomas (I threw in the James cause it sounds important)

Edited by nitetrain8601

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 02:16 PM)
Carlos Lee, Magglio Ordonez, Jermaine Dye in the OF.

I tell you what, they'll hit 110 home runs between them, and they'll be the worst defensive OF in history.

I think they should have had to pick at least one guy who could play CF.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)
I think they should have had to pick at least one guy who could play CF.

Then I'd go with Rowand: .283/.337/.451/.788 batting line in 1823 PA and UZR/150's of 12.4, 26.3, 19.0 and 18.7 from '02 to '05.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 19, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
C AJ Pierzynski (Do I have to remind you why?)

1B Paul Konerko (by default)

2B Alexei Ramirez (Sexy Alexei brought us to the playoffs the last time we made it)

3B Joe Crede (default)

SS Alexei Ramirez(yes, I did it)

RF Magglio Ordonez(never had a bad year with us; just left on bad terms)

LF Carlos Lee (very good)

CF Scott Podsednik (what? I can't choose him. Fine, I choose rolling plastic bag in CF between 2000-2004)

DH - Franklin James Thomas (I threw in the James cause it sounds important)

Iguchi and Durham are far better candidates at 2B than Ramirez, and Uribe and Valentin are far better candidates at SS than Ramirez. There's really no argument. He might be a favorite player, but he's not worthy of being on an all-decade team TWICE when he only played each position 1 season.

Oh, and Frank Edward Thomas Jr. Franklin James Thomas sounds like a 19th century politician, not the greatest hitter in White Sox history.