scouts from 8 teams at Sox-Toronto series

scenario

Well, that was the whole idea of the Garcia move....it never would have been made without the "handshake" agreement that was verified days after the trade about a long-term extension, with Ozzie supposedly in the middle of it all.

It was also one of the keys to bringing Contreras on board.

What will be interesting to see is if KW puts pressure on Danks to sign a multi-year deal extending into Year 1 of Free Agency...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
Well, that was the whole idea of the Garcia move....it never would have been made without the "handshake" agreement that was verified days after the trade about a long-term extension, with Ozzie supposedly in the middle of it all.

It was also one of the keys to bringing Contreras on board.

What will be interesting to see is if KW puts pressure on Danks to sign a multi-year deal extending into Year 1 of Free Agency...

I don't think extending Contreras had anything to do with acquiring him. Getting something worth a s*** for an expiring contract in Loaiza had everything to do with it. I can't imagine why the Sox would have wanted to resign Contreras at that time because his career ERA was like 5.50 at the time.

I also don't think Williams is going to put any pressure on Danks, but Danks has to realize that if you pitch for the White Sox, you are almost always safe from being dealt if you are in the middle of a contract, and you are very vulnerable to being traded if you are in the final year of your contract, especially as a starting pitcher. Williams dealt both Garcia and Garland in the offseason of the last year of their deals, and he dealt Contreras near the end of the year for his deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
I don't think extending Contreras had anything to do with acquiring him. Getting something worth a s*** for an expiring contract in Loaiza had everything to do with it. I can't imagine why the Sox would have wanted to resign Contreras at that time because his career ERA was like 5.50 at the time.

I also don't think Williams is going to put any pressure on Danks, but Danks has to realize that if you pitch for the White Sox, you are almost always safe from being dealt if you are in the middle of a contract, and you are very vulnerable to being traded if you are in the final year of your contract, especially as a starting pitcher. Williams dealt both Garcia and Garland in the offseason of the last year of their deals, and he dealt Contreras near the end of the year for his deal.

I meant, he (Contreras) had already signed a "subsidized" contract with the Yankees and he was going to be under our control for multiple seasons at that point. I can't remember exactly, I thought that Yankees deal was something like $32 million for 4 years, his first contract.

Loaiza was a one-and-done at that point, wasn't he? After 2003?

QUOTE (Ranger @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Well, first, we don't know that for sure. You would think he would test teh market, but you never really know. It all depends on what he deems to be important at the time.

Second, I think it's wrong to assume that KW would trade all of the farm's best prospects for one player if he didn't have a pretty good idea they would be able to lock him up beyond the current contract.

Considering how much he will cost, it isn't exactly a ridiculous assumption. I think KW is well aware that he can't afford him without severely hampering the team, unless JR finds a couple hundred million lying around somewhere, of course.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Apr 16, 2010 -> 08:33 PM)
Considering how much he will cost, it isn't exactly a ridiculous assumption. I think KW is well aware that he can't afford him without severely hampering the team, unless JR finds a couple hundred million lying around somewhere, of course.

best...laundry day.....EVER!!!

I really don't like these type of posts.

You guys do realize that there are 10-12 scouts at every pro major league game. Every organization has scouts that are in charge of scouting professional teams and writing reports on each and everyone of the guys that they see. That way if a name ever comes up in a trade discussion the GM will have some idea of what a guy can offer him. Gonzalez is just trying to create something out of nothing.