GT: SEA @ CWS, 4/25, 1:05pm

What does it mean that Bobby's been getting 2 hitters out, then letting 2 hitters on? Do the two outs make him great? Do the two hitters he lets on make him awful? Likely, the truth is somewhere in between but I don't think we should just ignore that he's capable of getting outs.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
What does it mean that Bobby's been getting 2 hitters out, then letting 2 hitters on? Do the two outs make him great? Do the two hitters he lets on make him awful? Likely, the truth is somewhere in between but I don't think we should just ignore that he's capable of getting outs.

I think it might be a mentality thing. Like he lets his guard down when he has two outs and then gets into trouble. Or he just decides he'll play around with his secondary pitches and eventually ends up getting pounded.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
I think it might be a mentality thing. Like he lets his guard down when he has two outs and then gets into trouble. Or he just decides he'll play around with his secondary pitches and eventually ends up getting pounded.

I think I agree with this. It really does seem like he takes a different approach with 2 out. Lots of balls that aren't that close. This is why I'm not anxious to get him off the team, though. He'll fix that mentality, just like a slumping hitter fixes his mentality. If his stuff looked like it was gone, then I'd say dump the contract, but it really doesn't look that way to me.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
I think I agree with this. It really does seem like he takes a different approach with 2 out. Lots of balls that aren't that close. This is why I'm not anxious to get him off the team, though. He'll fix that mentality, just like a slumping hitter fixes his mentality. If his stuff looked like it was gone, then I'd say dump the contract, but it really doesn't look that way to me.

He also has an issue with his velocity when he doesn't get enough rest. Sometimes, he'll only throw 93-94 instead of 95-96 if he doesn't get enough rest (like 2-3 days). This is what worries me most about him actually. It seems like he's not consistent on a day to day basis and that's absolutely detrimental to a closer, considering it doesn't look like he wants to throw his curveball anymore (or he doesn't have it).

The expansion of his array of pitches has led to his curveball being less consistent and his fastball velocity decreasing. Although it does save his arm a bit and makes his stay in the Majors a bit longer since he now has the hitters guessing more, it has taken away his dominance.

Who knows, maybe health might not have been an issue had he kept pumping his fastball in the high 90s and thrown the curveball on a more consistent basis. But I don't think any of us are satisfied with the type of pitcher he is now.

Edited by chw42

f the team wins - the fans think ozzie makes the right choices.

If the team loses - the fans think ozzie made the wrong choices.

It's been this way forever. Just win, baby. Lose and you can point to tons of reasons the manager was the reason for the loss.

When you have a manager who is not a clown (Bevington) and one who knows the game (ozzie) it amazes me most fans won't give the guy the benefit of the doubt on most occasions.