Who would you mortgage serious farm pieces for?

Jerksticks

Exciting time to be a Sox fan with big changes on the near horizon. We all talk about restocking the farm even while knowing our GM loves to send kids packing. So not through your eyes, but through Kenny's; who would you sacrifice a bunch of kids for?

Any players not typically thought of as available?

Like somebody else's Danks, Beckham etc.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)
Exciting time to be a Sox fan with big changes on the near horizon. We all talk about restocking the farm even while knowing our GM loves to send kids packing. So not through your eyes, but through Kenny's; who would you sacrifice a bunch of kids for?

The man in my sig.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 11:51 AM)

Not saying it's possible but Stanton from the Marlins would look good in a Sox uni. Or if you want something a bit more realistic, Derek Norris from the Nationals.

Edited by pktmotion

Joey Votto of the Reds.

It's a long shot, but not an impossibility. The Reds have stud 1B prospect Yonder Alonso just about ready to be called up- so they'll have to either move one of these guys to LF or trade one. It wouldn't be cheap, but there's at least some logic behind it.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
Joey Votto of the Reds.

It's a long shot, but not an impossibility. The Reds have stud 1B prospect Yonder Alonso just about ready to be called up- so they'll have to either move one of these guys to LF or trade one. It wouldn't be cheap, but there's at least some logic behind it.

Would Love Votto as well. Kinda like a second coming of a young LH Konerko. If I remember correctly we got him from Cincy.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
Would Love Votto as well. Kinda like a second coming of a young LH Konerko. If I remember correctly we got him from Cincy.

Yup. For Mike Cameron. Maybe we could sell the Reds on Jordan Danks being the 2010 version of Cameron: good speed, great D, tons of Ks!!!

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 12:45 PM)
Joey Votto of the Reds.

People really need to stop mentioning Votto as a possibility to be traded. Dude's a career .310/.391/.538/.929 hitter, which I would say qualifies him as atleast a top 8 1Bman in the game. On top of that, Yonder Alonso has never showed any type of power ability whatsoever at the minor league level, and I strongly doubt his .248/.339/.376/.715 overall minor league line and .228/.284/.347/.631 line at AAA is instilling confidence within Jocketty and company that he is going to be a keeper. If anything, Alonso will be available, and with that kind of line in the minors, I wouldn't touch him.

Joey Votto is not just a long shot, he IS an impossibility. I don't even know if you could trade Danks for him, and obviously the Sox wouldn't want to do that.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
People really need to stop mentioning Votto as a possibility to be traded. Dude's a career .310/.391/.538/.929 hitter, which I would say qualifies him as atleast a top 8 1Bman in the game. On top of that, Yonder Alonso has never showed any type of power ability whatsoever at the minor league level, and I strongly doubt his .248/.339/.376/.715 overall minor league line and .228/.284/.347/.631 line at AAA is instilling confidence within Jocketty and company that he is going to be a keeper. If anything, Alonso will be available, and with that kind of line in the minors, I wouldn't touch him.

Joey Votto is not just a long shot, he IS an impossibility. I don't even know if you could trade Danks for him, and obviously the Sox wouldn't want to do that.

If the Reds are as down on Alonso as you are, I'd take him in a buy low deal in a heartbeat. The guy still has massive upside.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
People really need to stop mentioning Votto as a possibility to be traded.

He was quietly shopped this off-season IIRC. Don't know if the Reds will even think of fielding offers for him next off-season however.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 03:24 PM)
If the Reds are as down on Alonso as you are, I'd take him in a buy low deal in a heartbeat. The guy still has massive upside.

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm down on him, but it's not likely he'll be anywhere near as good as Votto. I overreacted a bit, but Votto is just really good and his name gets thrown around here too liberally as a guy who may be available for trade. He's really, really good and the Reds are a pretty damn good team too. I imagine if and when Alonso turns his season around, he'll more likely be looked at as a guy who can be dealt for a piece later on for Cincinnati, not as a guy that will force Cinci's hand into dealing Votto.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 04:52 PM)
I wouldn't necessarily say I'm down on him, but it's not likely he'll be anywhere near as good as Votto. I overreacted a bit, but Votto is just really good and his name gets thrown around here too liberally as a guy who may be available for trade. He's really, really good and the Reds are a pretty damn good team too. I imagine if and when Alonso turns his season around, he'll more likely be looked at as a guy who can be dealt for a piece later on for Cincinnati, not as a guy that will force Cinci's hand into dealing Votto.

If the Reds are down at all on Alonso, and they hang in the race this year, it makes a lot of sense to move him at the deadline this year to try to get a major upgrade somewhere.

With our top three guys from last year hurt, Flowers scuffling, Vicideo looking very 1 dimensional, and D2 whiffing at a prodigious rate, we could mortgage our entire farm system and come up with a single decent middle reliever in return. There just ain't that much in the cupboard right now, our picks today notwithstanding.

(Okay, I forgot Hudson. Other than that though...)

Edited by Dizzy Sox

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 06:37 PM)
I agree with wite. Joey Votto is right there with Evan Longoria and Ryan Zimmerman as far as superstar caliber players 26 and under. He's going nowhere. And Thunderbolt should be shot for mentioning Justin Upton.

i actually thought this was a hypothetical thread when I posted in it. I don’t actually think we can get Upton. Seriously, I’m not crazy.

QUOTE (Dizzy Sox @ Jun 8, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
With our top three guys from last year hurt, Flowers scuffling, Vicideo looking very 1 dimensional, and D2 whiffing at a prodigious rate, we could mortgage our entire farm system and come up with a single decent middle reliever in return. There just ain't that much in the cupboard right now, our picks today notwithstanding.

(Okay, I forgot Hudson. Other than that though...)

These guys still have talent. Minor leaguers do struggle, but it's a matter of whether or not they turn themselves around. Danks I've never been super high on, but Flowers has tremendous power and good plate discipline...anybody who expected him to hit for average is crazy.

And Viciedo is 21 in his first go around at AAA, and he's holding up pretty well to the competition. I imagine the walks will come eventually, though he may never be an incredibly patient hitter.

To be honest, Viciedo's numbers and everything I read about him remind me of Carlos Lee. He strikes out a bit more than him at this point, but I would be satisfied if Viciedo ended up a bit like Carlos Lee.