Future of AJ

jimmiething

The Sox need to fill several roles next year (1B, DH, C, #5 SP, closer, two middle relievers, utility IF, utility OF), will need to give Danks a raise and, according to JR, will likely have to budget all of this with a reduced payroll (I'd guess $90M max). Even if they wanted to, there's no way that they could afford to give AJ arbitration. Even letting him walk as a FA and resigning him in the 2/8 range would be a waste of money.

As much as I like what AJ brings to this team (I completely agree that his handling of pitchers and intangibles are underrated), it's time for him to go. Flowers won't handle the staff nearly as well and he'll probably struggle at the plate, but Kenny can't put off the growing pains forever.

Agreed.

Now if we see the likes of the rest of the Charlotte roster (including Jordan Danks, Lucy or Morel) trying to man any roles in 2011, then you know we're in serious trouble.

But it's really limited to Viciedo, Hudson, Flowers and the very unlikely possibility Mitchell catches fire and can replace Pierre next season, although that's looking like a 5-10% likelihood at best.

Perhaps you can add Sale into that mix. We'll just have to wait and see, as well as Threets for Williams.

Other than that, it's just a few pitchers like Santeliz, Torres or Nunez possibly trying to replace Jenks/Pena, but we might have to go outside of the organization via trade or FA, like we did with Putz (one of KW's better offseason moves).

Edited by caulfield12