Olivo

Big Irish

MO didn't do a dam thing wrong last night by stealing 2nd in the 7th. At the time it was only 9 to 4 and in this day and age 5 runs with three at bats remaing for the other team doesn't mean jack. Secondly, they were holding him on, I can see if they weren't holding him on and he just took it but he was being held. He had to actually get a good jump to take it. Finally, Pena would have done the same dam thing so I don't want to hear any of his bulls***.

:fyou Pena

Just kepp kicking their ass!!!! :headbang :headbang :headbang

Did you see Carlos Lee in that altercation. He looked like he was ready to crack some skulls. With Carlos and Frank sitting on that bench, that would be the last team I would start s*** with. Not to mention the fact that Everett has a temper like a pitbull!! But I'm glad nothing happened. We don't need anyone getting suspended.

Well I guess it wasn't the SB that the Catcher was upset about, it was even dumber than that! This is from the Trib.

When Miguel Olivo stroked an eighth-inning single, it marked his fourth hit, a career high.

It also came after a tense moment. Olivo had to be separated briefly from DiFelice after the two engaged in an animated conversation.

Olivo said that DiFelice cursed at him after Olivo swung at a first-pitch fastball with the Sox leading by 10 runs. Apparently DiFelice saw that as breaking an unwritten rule. Olivo disagreed.

"I don't know why he would say that," Olivo said.

There's nothing I hate more than the "unwritten rules". If you don't want a guy stealing a base, throw him out. If you don't want him hacking 3-0, don't throw him a cookie. And it is OKAY to bunt when a guy has got a no hitter going. If a bunt was an automatic basehit, no one would swing the bat. STFU, and play defense.

Well I guess it wasn't the SB that the Catcher was upset about, it was even dumber than that!  This is from the Trib.

When Miguel Olivo stroked an eighth-inning single, it marked his fourth hit, a career high.

It also came after a tense moment. Olivo had to be separated briefly from DiFelice after the two engaged in an animated conversation.

Olivo said that DiFelice cursed at him after Olivo swung at a first-pitch fastball with the Sox leading by 10 runs. Apparently DiFelice saw that as breaking an unwritten rule. Olivo disagreed.

"I don't know why he would say that," Olivo said.

Oh my God, thats the stupidest thing Ive ever heard. Difelice needs to get a life...

I understand the unwritten rules of the game and respect them. However, it seems there is a new one each year that I have never heard of. I certainly have never heard of anything like DiFilece was complaining about.

Hell, for all he knows, Miguel could have been swinging at the first pitch trying to get the game over faster.

The unwritten rules require a little common sense from the players. There can be situations where they do apply and where they don't. You can't just say they apply with an X-run lead in the X-inning. Doesn't work that way.

MO didn't do a dam thing wrong last night by stealing 2nd in the 7th. At the time it was only 9 to 4 and in this day and age 5 runs with three at bats remaing for the other team doesn't mean jack.

no he did nothign wrong, nor did the Sox by sending him

unless KC tells us they wil quit trying, no reason for us to quit

This was very interesting in the Trib today.

About three hours before Thursday night's game, Royals manager Tony Pena saw catcher Miguel Olivo sitting in the White Sox dugout and called him over.

Pena told Olivo he was not at fault for an incident that had occurred the previous night, when Olivo and Royals catcher Mike DeFelice had to be separated after a heated argument near home plate.

Olivo said DeFelice cursed at him for supposedly violating one of baseball's unwritten rules. Olivo had taken a home-run cut at a first-pitch fastball with the Sox leading by 10 runs.

"[Pena] called me over and told me I didn't do anything wrong," Olivo said. "I said I knew I didn't do anything wrong."

Pena and DeFelice wear the same jersey.

But Pena and Olivo have a deeper bond—blood.

The two natives of the Dominican Republic are related, although it's not exactly clear how.

Olivo said they're cousins.

Pena at first said the two are "just good friends."

Then he said: "We are related but far apart."

Olivo's mother, Josefina Pena, is believed to be Tony's cousin. Not that the details matter. What's important is that Pena, a former catcher himself, has supported Olivo during his six-year professional career.

"When I was in the Dominican for winter ball, he helped me a lot," Olivo said. "He taught me a lot of things."

Pena, who caught almost 2,000 games in an 18-year career, has followed the 24-year-old Olivo since Oakland signed him as a free agent in 1996.

"He has a good future," Pena said. "I've said that since the first day I saw him in A's camp. He has lots of enthusiasm, he loves to play the game every day and, I'll tell you what, he has a rifle [for an arm]."

Olivo has used that cannon to throw out 15-of-37 would-be base-stealers. That 40.5 percent mark is tied for second in baseball with Cleveland's Josh Bard. Anaheim's Bengie Molina is first with a 42.9 percent rate.

Olivo also has ended the prolonged slump that shrunk his average to .217 on July 24.

Olivo had his first career four-hit game Wednesday.

As for the incident with DiFelice, Olivo's teammates supported his contention that he did not violate an unwritten rule.

"I swung at the first pitch in my last at-bat [Wednesday] and no one said a word," Paul Konerko said. "I've seen a guy get yelled at for trying to draw a walk before [in the late innings of a blowout].

"If it's wrong to manufacture the count to get on base and it's wrong to swing at the first pitch, it limits your options."

Konerko also defended DiFelice.

"It was a long game and he's a real good catcher," he said. "He cares about the pitching staff. We have some mutual friends. I think it was just frustration."

Life is a s***ty OBP and good money?  Damn I am screwed.

A person's career is a big part of their life, and even though he apparently has little-to-no baseball talent, he's got a hefty bank account. I'm sure he's quite happy with that. Now, I don't know about his personal life, but this discussion is not about that.