Staying Pat

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
Paul Konerko, Great year.

Jayson Worth, Horrible year.

It evens out.

In what world is .280/.371/.502/.873, .376 wOBA, 2.2 WAR a horrible year? His wOBA is roughly equal to Rios'.

I really feel like next year is our year and we should stand pat, let some of these kids season another year. But then I look at all the 0-4s that Kotsay/Jones consistently put up in a hitting only position and it makes me wanna puke. Dunn would help, but I'd rather target a stud outfielder with our quality prospects if we must. Quentin has DH written all over his face more every passing day.

Side rant: I wish Mitchell didn't get hurt, that dude seemed determined to pull a Hudson this year.

I can think of four good reasons not to stand pat: Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Rangers. We'd have to beat two of these four teams to get to the World Series. And our current offense just doesn't match-up (although we're much closer with CQ/Beckham rising from the abyss). And like many have said, our rotation just isn't that intimidating without Peavy at the top. I really believe, and I hate to admit this, that losing Peavy is ultimately going to cost us in the end. No matter what we do.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
Your skills usually don't increase at age 34 no matter how hard you try.

Skills? Well, some skills almost always increase with age. Others inevitably decline. So performance is not always a predictable curve. I do agree that PK is overachieving though. Its unlikely he'll keep it up all year (but possible). Even less likely he does it again next year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 11:55 AM)
I can think of four good reasons not to stand pat: Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, Rangers. We'd have to beat two of these four teams to get to the World Series. And our current offense just doesn't match-up (although we're much closer with CQ/Beckham rising from the abyss). And like many have said, our rotation just isn't that intimidating without Peavy at the top. I really believe, and I hate to admit this, that losing Peavy is ultimately going to cost us in the end. No matter what we do.

Peavy at the top of the rotation in the playoffs isnt very intimidating either.

We can win this division standing pat but I think we would be a huge dog in the playoffs.