Did we pay Viciedo 10 Million to trade him?

Jerksticks

Is it possible that Kenny has no intention of ever trading him, at least for a while. Since he's from Cuba and we recruited him, is there some agreement between Dayan's camp and the White Sox that he gets his first crack here? We all know a contract is just a contract and can be traded, but didn't the kid kinda choose to come here; or was it simply we blew the other offers away with the 10 mil?

Am I just making this scenario up in my head?? I mean he's young and from another country, and probably had alot of family input during the negotiating.

I think one of the original reasons he chose the White Sox was definitely the closeness of the relationship with Jaime Torres, KW and the "kinship" and success enjoyed by El Duque, Contreras and Alexei Ramirez with the White Sox from 2004 through the present.

No doubt about that. Many felt we had our own version of a "Cuban Pipeline" of incoming talent.

Of course, Viciedo changed agents to Boras eventually...personally, I don't think he will deal Viciedo, simply because KW wants to prove to the rest of the GM's how right he was on both Ramirez (paying low) and Viciedo (paying high). Maybe GM egoism shouldn't enter into the equation, but I think it does sometimes with KW.

I really feel he believes that Viciedo will end up something like a Miguel Cabrera Lite, or, to go old school in comparisons, one I've heard mentioned pretty frequently is former Cardinal/Dodger Pedro Guerrero.

You don't trade away 5 years of a cost-controlled Pedro Guerrero for the 2 month rental of Dunn, especially when payroll limitations mean you have to get contributions from Dayan, Hudson, Beckham, Ramirez, Santos, Flowers, Danks, Mitchell, Sale, etc.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 07:13 AM)
Did the Sox pay him $10 million up front or is that the total for the contract, I thought it was a $4 million upfront bonus, but I'm not sure. KW will trade anyone if it helps us win.

10M total, 6M in terms of a 4 year deal with a 4M signing bonus.