Will this routine work?

WhiteSoxfan1986

Hey guys, first time posting in the Soxtalk Gym. Long story short, about a month ago I decided I want to live a healthier lifestyle and lose some weight. Right now I'm about 6 foot and 225 pounds. For the past few weeks I've been trying to jog every day for about 1-1.5 miles. In the past week I've also started doing 100 situps and 100 curls about four times per week. I also play in a hockey league once a week, and that's a great workout.

If I do this consistently, I should be able to see some results right?

My main problem is I'm a picky eater, and I eat a lot of bad food (pizza, fast food, etc.). But, I'm going to try to get some more fruits into my diet. I used to drink a ton of pop, and I've actually cut that out. Right now all I drink is gatorade or water.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 01:47 AM)
Hey guys, first time posting in the Soxtalk Gym. Long story short, about a month ago I decided I want to live a healthier lifestyle and lose some weight. Right now I'm about 6 foot and 225 pounds. For the past few weeks I've been trying to jog every day for about 1-1.5 miles. In the past week I've also started doing 100 situps and 100 curls about four times per week. I also play in a hockey league once a week, and that's a great workout.

If I do this consistently, I should be able to see some results right?

My main problem is I'm a picky eater, and I eat a lot of bad food (pizza, fast food, etc.). But, I'm going to try to get some more fruits into my diet. I used to drink a ton of pop, and I've actually cut that out. Right now all I drink is gatorade or water.

Some results, but there's a lot of other things you can switch in/out. Try mixing up the lifting more than just the curls/situps. Try to build up additional miles on top of the jogging. try knocking out as much of the gatorade as you can...that's just as sugar loaded as pop. Just be creative. There's really nothing you can do that is wrong in terms of cutting out sugar and adding activity.

try lean ground turkey and other poultry, you can spice those things up a lot and they taste very good... biggest thing I would advocate is cut out white flower most of the time, there is a ton of good wheat or other alternatives available. Best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
Balta pretty much nailed it. But you gotta give up the fast food, bro. I know it's hard. Believe me. But if you want to drop the weight you gotta pay the price.

did you give yourself cheat days? I do and it helps me tremendously, although I was/am doing pretty high intensity work outs 5 days a week, sometimes x2 a day, so wasn't doing it strictly on diet. I know people who a cheat day works for and other people flat out can't handle them, one day turns into a week

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)
did you give yourself cheat days? I do and it helps me tremendously, although I was/am doing pretty high intensity work outs 5 days a week, sometimes x2 a day, so wasn't doing it strictly on diet. I know people who a cheat day works for and other people flat out can't handle them, one day turns into a week

Actually, for about the first 8 months, I had no cheat days at all. And even now I don't have cheat days (i.e. eat everything in site for that day). It's cheat 'meals' for me. I give myself 2, no more than 3 meals, a week that I allow myself to eat whatever I want. Just the other day I had a Gyro/Fries combo with a piece of Apple pie for dessert for dinner. But for breakfast I had a small bowl of raisin bran, a banana, one hard boiled egg and a slice of whole grain toast. For lunch I had a protein shake with 8 celery sticks and carrots (4 each). So I try to keep my calorie intake real low leading up to my cheat meal, which is usually always dinner. And you're right. One meal or one day can definitely turn into a week or even longer. It's a constant battle that lasts for eternity. Fortunately, I've been able to keep the weight I lost (67 pounds) off for about a year now. But it's a war that never ends.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
Actually, for about the first 8 months, I had no cheat days at all. And even now I don't have cheat days (i.e. eat everything in site for that day). It's cheat 'meals' for me. I give myself 2, no more than 3 meals, a week that I allow myself to eat whatever I want. Just the other day I had a Gyro/Fries combo with a piece of Apple pie for dessert for dinner. But for breakfast I had a small bowl of raisin bran, a banana, one hard boiled egg and a slice of whole grain toast. For lunch I had a protein shake with 8 celery sticks and carrots (4 each). So I try to keep my calorie intake real low leading up to my cheat meal, which is usually always dinner. And you're right. One meal or one day can definitely turn into a week or even longer. It's a constant battle that lasts for eternity. Fortunately, I've been able to keep the weight I lost (67 pounds) off for about a year now. But it's a war that never ends.

It really is a war that never ends. I went from 230 to 160, now I'm up to 180 with the addition of muscle. But it's all about the lifestyle change. You can't just lose the weight and go back to the way you were. You have to make the lifestyle change and commit to it for life. It's well worth it. It's been just about a year since I lost the weight and theres really no going back to where I was. I won't let myself become that way again.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
Balta pretty much nailed it. But you gotta give up the fast food, bro. I know it's hard. Believe me. But if you want to drop the weight you gotta pay the price.

Believe it or not, I have gave up fast food. I'll maybe eat it here or there, but it's pretty rare. I've been eating better (lots of fruit), and I've been running around 2.5 miles per day, although I've increased that to about 3.5. I've been seeing results and losing a decent amount of weight.