White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
huh? I was just providing evidence that he slacks when he's not motivated. I never said I didn't want him. s***. I'll drive him here from Milwaukee tonight if they ask me to.

Let's carpool. We'll stop at a few clubs on the way back.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
huh? I was just providing evidence that he slacks when he's not motivated. I never said I didn't want him. s***. I'll drive him here from Milwaukee tonight if they ask me to.

But that is 3 games. When you look at the big picture, for the numbers you guys are talking about paying the guy, he can take 30 games off a year, and I'll still be happy about his .900 OPS.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
But that is 3 games. When you look at the big picture, for the numbers you guys are talking about paying the guy, he can take 30 games off a year, and I'll still be happy about his .900 OPS.

The real worry is...he's taken a lot more than 30 games off this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
The real worry is...he's taken a lot more than 30 games off this year.

Well he's 38 years old. This happens to 38 year olds.

Again, you have better options for $5-7 million, you go ahead and make a list. Until then, I'm not going to rule Manny out as our DH next year.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
Well he's 38 years old. This happens to 38 year olds.

Again, you have better options for $5-7 million, you go ahead and make a list. Until then, I'm not going to rule Manny out as our DH next year.

I wouldn't rule him out as DH next year either but I wouldn't offer him $5-7 million when he's gotten fewer at bats this year than Thome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
I wouldn't rule him out as DH next year either but I wouldn't offer him $5-7 million when he's gotten fewer at bats this year than Thome.

He's been injured. In no way does that fact that he's been injured this season mean he will be injured next season as well.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
He's been injured. In no way does that fact that he's been injured this season mean he will be injured next season as well.

But it's absolutely ridiculous to pay a 39 year old guy coming off probably decades of steroid abuse in a way that would only make sense if he is mostly healthy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
But it's absolutely ridiculous to pay a 39 year old guy coming off probably decades of steroid abuse in a way that would only make sense if he is mostly healthy.

I wouldn't want him back next year. With our annual April swoon he'll be a cancer in the clubhouse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
Annual? I thought our swoon was always in the 2nd half.

We're good from mid-May through early August. Where a big proportion of games are against the NL.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:08 PM)
Alright, then live with your pal Kotsay.

You're just talking in circles now. You take the hyperbolic case on one side saying you can't prove his laziness statistically therefore it doesn't exist, then one someone questions the logic, you assume they are happy with Kotsay. Most of us are in the reality between those two things.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)

Decades of steroid abuse? Riiiight.

The hit when he came off the suspension last year. He's hit when healthy this year.

I'm not saying he's the ideal candidate, but for our budget, he's a damn good fit for us.

Now I'm not trying to be "pedantic" here, but Manny is one of the hitters of the modern era. His numbers are incrediblty consistent, his knowledge of the strike zone and his pitch recognition are amongst the best I have ever seen, and he will sell tickets.

Some of the most vocal opponents of our current DH situation are also the ones who want to be really picky concerning who we bring in to rectify the situation from here forward. Color me confused.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
Decades of steroid abuse? Riiiight.

The hit when he came off the suspension last year. He's hit when healthy this year.

I'm not saying he's the ideal candidate, but for our budget, he's a damn good fit for us.

Now I'm not trying to be "pedantic" here, but Manny is one of the hitters of the modern era. His numbers are incrediblty consistent, his knowledge of the strike zone and his pitch recognition are amongst the best I have ever seen, and he will sell tickets.

Some of the most vocal opponents of our current DH situation are also the ones who want to be really picky concerning who we bring in to rectify the situation from here forward. Color me confused.

No one is saying not to get him (of those currently discussing it here). Where are you getting that idea? Did BS or I say not to get him? I said I was torn, but clearly saw his value. What is confusing?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
You're just talking in circles now. You take the hyperbolic case on one side saying you can't prove his laziness statistically therefore it doesn't exist, then one someone questions the logic, you assume they are happy with Kotsay. Most of us are in the reality between those two things.

No, I'm really not, Northside.

You're trying to pick out flaws in one of the best hitters of the modern era when your current DH is a Mark Kotsay/Andruw Jones platoon.

That's like me turning down an Audi because I don't like the color when I'm driving a Ford Festiva.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 02:22 PM)
No, I'm really not, Northside.

You're trying to pick out flaws in one of the best hitters of the modern era when your current DH is a Mark Kotsay/Andruw Jones platoon.

That's like me turning down an Audi because I don't like the color when I'm driving a Ford Festiva.

I just don't want to pay the price for the Audi and then discover that it's got the engine of the Festiva stuck in there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
No one is saying not to get him (of those currently discussing it here). Where are you getting that idea? Did BS or I say not to get him? I said I was torn, but clearly saw his value. What is confusing?

You said two pages ago that you sure as hell didn't want to sign him for 2011. That's what I am arguing against.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
You said two pages ago that you sure as hell didn't want to sign him for 2011. That's what I am arguing.

Correct. Right now, in the waiver wire period, Manny is the only good option. So, I can be on board with signing him for his production.

Now in the offseason, its a whole different game. There are going to be moves, and other options, available, than a 39 year old who only plays hard on days he feels like it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:24 PM)
2003-2009 is at least the better part of a decade, and I'm not going to think that he just happened to start in 2003 right before the initial tests.

So do you think he started in 1994? The guy has been a freaking monster his entire career.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
So do you think he started in 1994? The guy has been a freaking monster his entire career.

Frankly, I don't know when he started, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out that he started before he even hit the majors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:27 PM)
Correct. Right now, in the waiver wire period, Manny is the only good option. So, I can be on board with signing him for his production.

Now in the offseason, its a whole different game. There are going to be moves, and other options, available, than a 39 year old who only plays hard on days he feels like it.

With our payroll, and our farm system, unless you bring back Jim Thome, I don't think you're going to find much better price for production than Manny can offer.

And what is with the "plays hard when he feels like it" stuff? His numbers show otherwise. His salary says otherwise. Even if he is a huge slacker, evidently he is better than 80% of the hitters in the game without even trying. I'll take that.