Alexei opts out of 1.5 mil- Sox have a week to accept 2.5 op

Frank_Thomas

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
Apparently Ken Rosenthal doesn't think that highly of Alexei, or at least isn't in his top 7 SS in baseball.

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz...8?new_post=true

WTF? When you include the fact that Alexei has been healthy and he has to qualify 3 of them, Alexei winds up 3rd on that list in my book.

I wouldn't mind giving him a decent amount for the next couple years during his arb-eligible time in order to lock him up at an amount closer to bargain amount in his first few years of free agency. I'd be willing to give him 8 a year. He's liable to be a very expensive commodity when he hits free agency.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
Apparently Ken Rosenthal doesn't think that highly of Alexei, or at least isn't in his top 7 SS in baseball.

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz...8?new_post=true

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 03:01 PM)
WTF? When you include the fact that Alexei has been healthy and he has to qualify 3 of them, Alexei winds up 3rd on that list in my book.

Rosenthal is a cool dude, after being reminded about his omissions by Rangers/Sox fans (including yours truly) via twitter, he added both Andurs and Ramirez to the list and then even managed to reply with the news.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
Rosenthal is a cool dude, after being reminded about his omissions by Rangers/Sox fans (including yours truly) via twitter, he added both Andurs and Ramirez to the list and then even managed to reply with the news.

Yes he is. He has responded to my emails personally regarding info on trade rumors before, which I thought was pretty classy given how busy the guy is. Also nice in person, as I had a brief discussion with him at the Winter Meetings a couple of years ago. Really a class act.

Alexei is easily worth 12.5M a year seeing as hes entering his prime.

According to his UZR/150 and WAR, Alexei was the 2nd best defensive SS in the MLB in '10 (1st in AL) and 4th best overall SS (1st in AL)

If he was a FA this year, I could see the Yanks offering him a generous contract to replace Jeter...

Edited by scotty22hotty

QUOTE (scotty22hotty @ Dec 1, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
Alexei is easily worth 12.5M a year seeing as hes entering his prime.

According to his UZR/150 and WAR, Alexei was the 2nd best defensive SS in the MLB in '10 (1st in AL) and 4th best overall SS (1st in AL)

If he was a FA this year, I could see the Yanks offering him a generous contract to replace Jeter...

He's 29 right now, he's not "Entering his prime" by really any definition.