Sox an Expensive 85 win team?

Marty34

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 06:07 AM)
I think was one of the most consisten things you can count on for the Sox over the years has been the performance of Buerhle. Why would this year be any different?

I have no idea. I think it's pretty much a given that Buehrle is going to give the Sox 200+ innings and an ERA anywhere between 3.75-4.25 with one terrible month thrown into the mix.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)
I have no idea. I think it's pretty much a given that Buehrle is going to give the Sox 200+ innings and an ERA anywhere between 3.75-4.25 with one terrible month thrown into the mix.

I have two concerns about this year's team as constructed today. First is the bullpen, we lost Jenks and Putz who were for the most part pretty solid for us. Assuming Thronton will be the closer, the other guys that get us from the SP to Thornton have to step up (Pena, Crain, maybe Sale). I think the success or failure of those guys will determine our fate as far as getting to the postseason.

Second concern is we have some guys that are up there in age (PK, AJ, Pierre) and I just hope they don't start to drop off significantly.

I think our starting pitching will be fine.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Carlos Quentin stats for the SEASON 131 453 73 110 217 doubles 25 triples 2 homers 26 RBI's 87 50 3 83 2 2 .243 .342 .479 .821 0.80

Me thinks you try and analyze too much and see only the black cloud of despair. :lol: CQ has a ton of talent and was coming back around last year after those injuries. harness that drive he has and we will see a 30-40 homer 100 plus RBI man again. Be patient instead of calling for the beheading of every player who has an off year at times. :gosox3:

There's nothing wrong with analyzing the future roster. It's more prudent than assuming a player will repeat his greatest season ever, about 3x more productive than he's been in any other season, after he just "harnesses his drive" (whatever that means). I didn't have despair or call for a beheading. But I don't think we're a playoff contending team without a more significant contribution from Quentin/Peavy than we've seen from them the past two seasons. And how can you have an off-year at times? I can understand forgetting something at times or feeling lazy at times, but if you can have an entire bad year at times, that's not good.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
I have two concerns about this year's team as constructed today. First is the bullpen, we lost Jenks and Putz who were for the most part pretty solid for us. Assuming Thronton will be the closer, the other guys that get us from the SP to Thornton have to step up (Pena, Crain, maybe Sale). I think the success or failure of those guys will determine our fate as far as getting to the postseason.

Second concern is we have some guys that are up there in age (PK, AJ, Pierre) and I just hope they don't start to drop off significantly.

I think our starting pitching will be fine.

I generally agree with this, except the idea that Jenks was pretty solid. He was far from that, and his overall performance is pretty easy to replace.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
I generally agree with this, except the idea that Jenks was pretty solid. He was far from that, and his overall performance is pretty easy to replace.

I agree that last year wasn't Jenks' best year but he wasn't bad either. He was 27/31 in save opportunities. Regardless the bullpen is going to have to step it up this year for the Sox to be a contender.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Dec 17, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
I agree that last year wasn't Jenks' best year but he wasn't bad either. He was 27/31 in save opportunities. Regardless the bullpen is going to have to step it up this year for the Sox to be a contender.

Please, stop quoting Jenks's save percentage as though it means anything at all.

Let me give you an example. The game Jenks blew against Minnesota, the game that for all practical purposes ended the Sox's June run and set Minnesota in motion, Jenks came in for the 9th inning with a 3 run lead, save situation. Jenks loaded the bases and gave up 2 runs. Jenks was pulled without getting an out, having faced 5 guys.

Santos came in, promptly gave up the game winning double.

Because Jenks was pulled before he gave up the winning run, he was NOT credited with a save attempt or a blown save. Santos took the Blown Save, while Jenks took the loss.

The blown save statistic is lying to you. Stop quoting it as though it means anything.