Dallas McPherson

Lillian

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking forward to following him and I'm hoping for big things. I'm always intrigued by a guy who has his kind of huge upside.

I think we pretty much know what Teahen is, and Morel will likely never be a big power bat. Moreover, he's another right handed hitter.

But adding a left handed bat of McPherson's potential is very intriguing, assuming that his potential is realized.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 04:11 PM)
Thanks for the responses. I'm looking forward to following him and I'm hoping for big things. I'm always intrigued by a guy who has his kind of huge upside.

I think we pretty much know what Teahen is, and Morel will likely never be a big power bat. Moreover, he's another right handed hitter.

But adding a left handed bat of McPherson's potential is very intriguing, assuming that his potential is realized.

I think the general consensus is that at age 30, if you haven't realized that potential yet.........

I would guess that if McPherson were hypothetically able to play a full season, he would hit about .200 with 25 home runs and an OPS around .700, and that's a pretty big "if," as I recall him having several back problems throughout his career. I have no idea how his defense is, but I can't imagine that it's very good. He doesn't have good contact skills whatsoever and has struggled mightily when he has played in the majors. He has legitimate power and can draw a walk every now and then, but counting on him to be anything more than the backup to the backup is asking for trouble.

I saw McPherson play quite a bit in Salt Lake. He's all right at 3rd. Pretty good range, a strong arm, but I'd say overall his defense is just ok.

He was fun to watch at the AAA level. I saw him hit a couple of moonshots.