Dallas McPherson

Lillian

I've been very intrigued by the acquisition of Dallas McPherson, ever since his signing was announced.

This guy was a "can't miss" prospect in the Angel's organization, before he hurt his back.

Now seemingly healthy, after a couple of surgeries, it may not be too late for him to realize some of his potential.

He dominated the minor leagues, with a homer every 12 at bats in 1,287 at bats in AAA, over his last 5 minor league seasons. His OPS was .966 over that time.

Moreover, he didn't do that badly in his very limited Major League playing time.

I understand that the Sox already have a bit of a log jam at 3rd base with Morel, Teahen and Vizquel, but if McPherson can stay healthy, he could be a major contributor from the left side, in the middle of the lineup.

Does anyone have any real insight into his health?

How is he defensively, when healthy?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 08:06 AM)
One very simple question answers your question.

Where would he play?

Well, with the condition that he were healthy, and adequate defensively, third base.

That would give the Sox one more big left handed bat, which they still lack, with Dunn providing the only real left handed threat.

They're much better balanced in that regard than they were last year, but they are still very heavily weighted with right handed hitting.

If they are still considering Teahen as a third base candidate, then why shouldn't they consider McPherson. He is probably better defensively, and has much more potential offensively than Teahen.

If they simply want to go with the best defense at third, then Morel is the obvious choice.

Vizquel should be a late inning defensive replacement, and their first option as backup at 3rd, SS and 2nd.

I love Omar, but at 44, it just isn't realistic to expect him to be much more than that.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
Well, with the condition that he were healthy, and adequate defensively, third base.

That would give the Sox one more big left handed bat, which they still lack, with Dunn providing the only real left handed threat.

They're much better balanced in that regard than they were last year, but they are still very heavily weighted with right handed hitting.

If they are still considering Teahen as a third base candidate, then why shouldn't they consider McPherson. He is probably better defensively, and has much more potential offensively than Teahen.

If they simply want to go with the best defense at third, then Morel is the obvious choice.

Vizquel should be a late inning defensive replacement, and their first option as backup at 3rd, SS and 2nd.

I love Omar, but at 44, it just isn't realistic to expect him to be much more than that.

If there was even a hint of an opening, it would be different. But there are so many people in line in front of Dallas, who don't have near the questions that he does, it would take something crazy for him to be a realistic option. It isn't like we are talking about a bullpen spot where there is legitimate competition right now, or the 5th starter spot where Peavy is still a question mark.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
If there was even a hint of an opening, it would be different. But there are so many people in line in front of Dallas, who don't have near the questions that he does, it would take something crazy for him to be a realistic option. It isn't like we are talking about a bullpen spot where there is legitimate competition right now, or the 5th starter spot where Peavy is still a question mark.

Morel is hardly a sure thing, Teahen is not the answer and Vizquel is too old to hold the job through the season. Tank is, well, lacking defensively. I'm not saying it'll happen, but the opportunity for DM is there if he can grab it.

Dallas MacPherson is, in some ways, like an infield version of Josh Kroeger when he arrived in the Sox system a couple years ago. Lots of potential never fully realized, still the possibility he makes it work, but chances are remote, and there is a crowd in front of him. He's a guy worth taking a flyer on in AAA, and if the need is there for him, he's your backup plan.

Viciedo is an outfielder now, it seems. Vizquel is a bench guy and then probably retiring. The only real 3B candidates are Morel and Teahen, and they are pretty much both assured a roster spot.

If Morel stumbles really badly, or if he or Teahen or one of the 1B/DH types are injured, then Dallas comes into the picture.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
Dallas MacPherson is, in some ways, like an infield version of Josh Kroeger when he arrived in the Sox system a couple years ago. Lots of potential never fully realized, still the possibility he makes it work, but chances are remote, and there is a crowd in front of him. He's a guy worth taking a flyer on in AAA, and if the need is there for him, he's your backup plan.

Viciedo is an outfielder now, it seems. Vizquel is a bench guy and then probably retiring. The only real 3B candidates are Morel and Teahen, and they are pretty much both assured a roster spot.

If Morel stumbles really badly, or if he or Teahen or one of the 1B/DH types are injured, then Dallas comes into the picture.

Dallas had way more potential than Kroeger ever did.

Neither Mark Teahen nor Brent Morel have ever posted offensive numbers, at any level of professional baseball, comparable to McPherson's 5 year stats at AAA. Therefore, the questions we should be asking are; Is he healthy? And can he translate those numbers at the Big League level?

His injuries are the obvious explanation for why he has not yet had the opportunity to perform at the Major League level.

Again, for me, he is a better option than Teahen.

If the Sox decide to go with the defense, then Morel is the frontrunner.

In any case, I think that it's an open competition at 3rd base. We'll just have to wait and see how Spring Training goes, and then how these guys perform once the season starts.

I'll say this; if McPherson starts the season at AAA, I will be surprised if he is not the best hitter on the Knights, by far.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
Neither Mark Teahen nor Brent Morel have ever posted offensive numbers, at any level of professional baseball, comparable to McPherson's 5 year stats at AAA. Therefore, the questions we should be asking are; Is he healthy? And can he translate those numbers at the Big League level?

His injuries are the obvious explanation for why he has not yet had the opportunity to perform at the Major League level.

Again, for me, he is a better option than Teahen.

If the Sox decide to go with the defense, then Morel is the frontrunner.

In any case, I think that it's an open competition at 3rd base. We'll just have to wait and see how Spring Training goes, and then how these guys perform once the season starts.

I'll say this; if McPherson starts the season at AAA, I will be surprised if he is not the best hitter on the Knights, by far.

Oh course, McPherson proved he cant do it at the major league level, which is more of an indicator of what his contribution could be to the team. His minor league numbers are useless at this point since he's a know quantity at the MLB level.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
Morel is hardly a sure thing, Teahen is not the answer and Vizquel is too old to hold the job through the season. Tank is, well, lacking defensively. I'm not saying it'll happen, but the opportunity for DM is there if he can grab it.

Just by your list, that makes him the 5th person in line.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
Just by your list, that makes him the 5th person in line.

I just put the other options before him. I consider Viciedo that the last resort. Visquel just can't physically do it over the long haul. Morel is the favorite and it's probably his job to lose. I consider the other two a coin flip. Teahen has the contract, DM has the tools. I don't know that he has what it takes to take advantage of this opportunity. The possibility is there. The probability ... eh, not so much.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 11:46 AM)
Oh course, McPherson proved he cant do it at the major league level, which is more of an indicator of what his contribution could be to the team. His minor league numbers are useless at this point since he's a know quantity at the MLB level.

Is that really fair? He's only had 371 Major League at bats, all but 11 of those were before he turned 26. Don't you think that it's a little premature to judge his ability to play at the Big League level?

Ted Williams used to say that it takes about 1,000 at bats for most guys to figure it out at the Major League level.

What better source of wisdom on the subject can you consult than Ted Williams?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Is that really fair? He's only had 371 Major League at bats, all but 11 of those were before he turned 26. Don't you think that it's a little premature to judge his ability to play at the Big League level?

Ted Williams used to say that it takes about 1,000 at bats for most guys to figure it out at the Major League level.

What better source of wisdom on the subject can you consult than Ted Williams?

You tell me... How many guys toil in the minors until they are 31 and then become starters at the major league level in some productive capacity?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
You tell me... How many guys toil in the minors until they are 31 and then become starters at the major league level in some productive capacity?

I wouldn't describe his effort as "toiling" in the minors. He dominated during his time there.

The explanation for why he has not had more time in the Majors is quite simple. He has had one hip and two back surgeries.

It's reasonable to question his health, which I do as well. However, is it really fair to say that he has already demonstrated that he can't play in the Majors?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
It's reasonable to question his health, which I do as well. However, is it really fair to say that he has already demonstrated that he can't play in the Majors?

Depends on our definition.

So far, he's revealed that he's not been able to be an above average major league player. He's put up numbers that are reasonable for a part time or platoon player, but you can only fit so many of those on a roster. He hasn't put up the numbers of a full time MLB starter.

You can say "oh that's just the injuries" but then why do you expect him to be healthy this year.

If he were to take a step forwards, then we'd have a bargain.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 01:57 PM)
I wouldn't describe his effort as "toiling" in the minors. He dominated during his time there.

The explanation for why he has not had more time in the Majors is quite simple. He has had one hip and two back surgeries.

Still same question, different form. How many people establish themselves as major leaguers at 31?