Thornton + Sale's struggles

joeynach

QUOTE (joeynach @ May 2, 2011 -> 11:20 PM)
Also check this out. PitchFX data in Fangraphs shows that Thornton is featuring a ChangeUp 9.8% of the time after throwing 0 change's in 2009 or 2010. How can that be. Did Thronton really try and come out and feature a change? Or is this an error in the way the PitchFX algorithms determine pitch type from the data and its actually his slider?

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?play...&position=P

I think Matt listened to all of the people who said a one pitch pitcher couldn't close, and made changes he didn't need to make. Feature the fastball, and go back to being Matt Thornton.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ May 3, 2011 -> 12:30 AM)
Danks' FB is down 0.3mph

Floyd's is down 1.8mph

Buehrle's is down 0.5mph

Santos is down 1.2mph

Ohman is down 0.7mph

Jackson is down 0.8mph

Crain is down 0.9mph

Notice a trend? Fastball velocities are almost always down at the start of the season. That's not the problem.

I take it those numbers are from season end last year, and not YTD vs YTD?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
I think Matt listened to all of the people who said a one pitch pitcher couldn't close, and made changes he didn't need to make. Feature the fastball, and go back to being Matt Thornton.

He's overthrowing at this point. I think it wil come back as he relaxes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 3, 2011 -> 05:07 AM)
I do agree with you on the eye test part. Sale and Thornton do not pass the eye test at this point of the season.

It's no fun watching either guy pitch.

How bout they take the approach of throwing strikes maybe?

Maybe rushing Sale was a mistake, or they should get another lefty reliever and groom Sale now to be a starter? Sales has been less than what I was expecting this year and Thornton too for that matter. But, Matt is the veteran

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 3, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
Maybe rushing Sale was a mistake, or they should get another lefty reliever and groom Sale now to be a starter? Sales has been less than what I was expecting this year and Thornton too for that matter. But, Matt is the veteran

There was no way Sale didn't break camp with the Sox after the way he finished last year. He seems to be having repeatability and arm slot problems, which shouldn't be a big surprise with him working out of the pen for the first time in his life starting last year, and not having a whole lot of innings under his belt.