Harmon Killebrew

oldsox

I was at a game in the late 60's. It was one of those then typical tiny crowd days. There were only maybe 2,000 in the park. Probably not even that. I was sitting behind the Sox dugout. Killebrew hit a line drive shot into the left-centerfield upper deck. I never have seen a ball hit that hard. It really took off like a rocket. There was nobody in the upper deck (there was hardly anyone in the lower deck). I remember hearing the ball crash into one of the seats. Kinda cool.

It makes me really sad to hear about Harmon. My mom died in hospice care a year ago on Mother's Day. It's really weird when you're playing doctor so to speak in your loved ones final days, administering morphine for pain and everything. But, we wouldn't have wanted it any other way. My mom wanted it that way and she was so at peace right to the end. My heart goes out to the Killebrew family.

It's been a while since I've seen former players get as emotional as a few former members of the Twins did today. It's a big loss as Killebrew had been a great advisor with the Twins and a great ambassador of the game too.

Rest in peace Harmon.