Starting pitching options

Soxplosion

Paul Byrd- This is a guy we really should consider. The Royals are having problems hooking him up financially but he wont cost much. KC offered him 2 years at about 4 million. I say we sign him for 4 years, 18 million. Thats 4.5 a year. Thats a great bargain for someone like Byrd. Last year, he was 17-11 (on the Royals who lost 100 games) with a 3.90 ERA. He would be great right behind Buehrle.

Rick Helling- So now weve signed the star, so we should just get someone cheap. Helling would be perfect. With the D-Backs last year he was 10-12 with a 4.51 ERA. Yet the D-Backs declined his option, putting him up for grabs. I say we can get him for a year at 3 million.

I also think that Todd Ritchie could come back strong, last year was surely a fluke. But I say we put him on a close watch this year. If he falters AT ALL, we get Rauch in there. Rauch is ready, he showed it when we played Minnesota towards the end of last season. So, this being said, heres my imagined rotation for next year:

Buehrle, Byrd, Helling, Garland, Ritchie/Rauch/Wright

Actually, change that, well have those three duel it out for the fifth spot in ST. If KW does this (God help us) we will have plenty of depth for 2003...

Guest hotsoxchick1

ok lets just put it this way.... whos the worst pitching fa out there right now???? get his name down pat because thats most likely who we will get in any deals that come up involving us getting pitching.....lol.........

Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

ok lets just put it this way.... whos the worst pitching fa out there right now???? get his name down pat because thats most likely who we will get in any deals that come up involving us getting pitching.....lol.........

then your choice would be starting pitcher jamey wright...career era over 5 in 8 seasons...never below 4...only one winning season and only one season of double digit wins while having four seasons of double digit losses...there's your man HSC :puke:puke

Guest hotsoxchick1

:puke:puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke :puke

geez thanks baggs....now thats something to look foward to... i think i would rather have navarro back......lol

Guest hotsoxchick1

i like the byrd idea.. i wouldnt mind picking him up but im sure we wont....kw said no big names, its not in his scheme of things......so alas he will most likely go for a few position players and get us prospect pitchers in the process.........

Originally posted by theoldroman

Cmon guys, lets be serious. I hate when my serious threads go all loony like this. Please, leave the goofiness to intentionally goofy threads. So, that being said, who do yall think we should pick up? What do you think of my ideas? Thank you.

Whoa HSC and Baggs..... you're gonna take that? :eek

Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
Originally posted by hotsoxchick1

I think Jaime Navarro is available :eek

*passes out from the thought*

Originally posted by CubKilla
Originally posted by theoldroman

Cmon guys, lets be serious. I hate when my serious threads go all loony like this. Please, leave the goofiness to intentionally goofy threads. So, that being said, who do yall think we should pick up? What do you think of my ideas? Thank you.

Whoa HSC and Baggs..... you're gonna take that? :eek

ill let him slide...im in too good a moood since we got frank back:metal

seriously , byrd or daal..but im not holding my breathe..

I wouldn't mind Helling. he isn't great, but could be cheap and a good workhorse.

I also think Ritchie will be effective this season. a lot of people are looking at waht he did in 2002 is what he'll do in 2003. he's much better and should prove it this season.

I don't think we will get Daal, but Byrd could happen. pitchers are going fast though. three guys signed today in Moyer, Reynolds, and Traschel.

a lot more signing will happen in the next week or so. we need to get a guy.

Originally posted by Molto

I wouldn't mind Helling. he isn't great, but could be cheap and a good workhorse.

I also think Ritchie will be effective this season.  a lot of people are looking at waht he did in 2002 is what he'll do in 2003.  he's much better and should prove it this season.

speaking of ritchie (and parque) what happened with them???...didnt we need to offer both arbitration as of midnight???

I don't think we will get Daal, but Byrd could happen.  pitchers are going fast though.  three guys signed today in Moyer, Reynolds, and Traschel.

a lot more signing will happen in the next week or so.  we need to get a guy.

I like the idea of Mendoza, but I don't know if we want to put all our eggs in one basket cause if he can't start, then we really are no better off in the rotation. I think he can start, but you never know what happens over a full season.

Then again, you never know anyway.

I think Byrd is my top choice as long as it isn't too expensive. I dont' mind Helling, but I don't really like him that much, and to be honest, I see Dan Wright putting numbers like Helling can do, and he's actually on the rise, so I say forget about 2, just go with one starter.

Originally posted by Molto

I also think Ritchie will be effective this season.  a lot of people are looking at waht he did in 2002 is what he'll do in 2003.  he's much better and should prove it this season.

I don't think we will get Daal, but Byrd could happen.  pitchers are going fast though.  three guys signed today in Moyer, Reynolds, and Traschel.

a lot more signing will happen in the next week or so.  we need to get a guy.

I think if KW really went for it he would be able to get Helling easily. I would not be upset at all if he did do that.

And if we had the choice of Byrd or Daal (even tho I like both) I would much prefer Byrd.

But anywho, I think KW will get us someone this offseason for the rotation. Hes gotten us a starter each of the past two seasons. And even tho they backfired, I know one will turn up right somewhere along the line.

Williams could definately bring Helling in pretty easily. I also think he could get Daal pretty easily. The question is whether they are going for Byrd, if they are, then that will be a lot harder, but it could pay big time dividends.

I think many people are pretty excited for next season on the Southside and if they sign a pitcher or two, then things will really be exciting, plus the All Star game will be at Comiskey.

I really hope we dont blow it next year. It would stink for us to be like 10 games under .500 at the break next year with only one player in the AS game. Then our beautiful Comiskey would be overrun by Skanks and Ms. That would suck.

But I doubt we should worry. I think well be darn good as long as KW doesnt do something stupid.