Weaver signs 5 yr/$85 million extension

fathom

Mark Buehrle signing a 4/$56 deal that essentially ensured he would stay in Chicago (due to his salary increasing by $1 mill a year along with an additional year at $15 mill attached) was pretty incredible hometown discount considering he probably could have gotten 6 years or more money in general on the free agent market. He's not nearly as good as Weaver is, but I would say he is a top 50 pitcher in the game.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 07:25 AM)
That's great of Weaver and really speaks to his character but I'm surprised the players union allowed or it or at least didn't try and act like a detriment.

I'm sure they are pissed, but really what can you do about it, that you don't come off looking even worse than you did before?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 04:41 AM)
Mark Buehrle signing a 4/$56 deal that essentially ensured he would stay in Chicago (due to his salary increasing by $1 mill a year along with an additional year at $15 mill attached) was pretty incredible hometown discount considering he probably could have gotten 6 years or more money in general on the free agent market. He's not nearly as good as Weaver is, but I would say he is a top 50 pitcher in the game.

I'd guess the difference with Buehrle is mainly the years. Weaver could have gotten more years and more money per year.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
I'd guess the difference with Buehrle is mainly the years. Weaver could have gotten more years and more money per year.

Mark was looking at least at 5 years on the open market. Honestly he probably could have gotten something similar to what Weaver just did at the very top end.

Weaver left way more on the table. There is an outside chance he could have left 50% of the total on the table. Could he have pushed it to say 7 years at $25 mil per season? Especially if CC opted out and looked to go somewhere else. Not likely, but possible, especially if the Yanks didn't win the WS.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
Mark was looking at least at 5 years on the open market. Honestly he probably could have gotten something similar to what Weaver just did at the very top end.

Weaver left way more on the table. There is an outside chance he could have left 50% of the total on the table. Could he have pushed it to say 7 years at $25 mil per season? Especially if CC opted out and looked to go somewhere else. Not likely, but possible, especially if the Yanks didn't win the WS.

That's roughly the number I had in mind. I can't say enough about how much I respect Weaver now.