Interesting Stat for AJ

RME JICO

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
Or AJ on the other end of things.

AJ, he's saying just suffers because guys like Floyd and Garcia don't know how to hold runners close. If that's the case, then if you looked at a guy with a great throwing arm, he shouldn't be able to go from team to team throwing people out. IRoid gunned people down whoever was pitching.

AJ also has gotten to work with Buehrle, who had one of the best pickoff moves in the game.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
AJ, he's saying just suffers because guys like Floyd and Garcia don't know how to hold runners close. If that's the case, then if you looked at a guy with a great throwing arm, he shouldn't be able to go from team to team throwing people out. IRoid gunned people down whoever was pitching.

AJ also has gotten to work with Buehrle, who had one of the best pickoff moves in the game.

And he still was amongst the leagues worst at throwing out runners.

But that's just the point that HickoryHuskers was making. It's just a catcher or 2 or 3 on either end of the spectrum that really affect that stat one way or the other, a minority. Other than Buehrle, the Sox pitchers over the years have done a very poor job of helping him out at all.

Edited by balfanman

46%. AJ is at 28% and always hung around 30% for his career.

So the difference between a very good catcher and a very bad catcher is under 20%, which, like I said, is a minority of stealing attempts. Over 80% of the time the outcome is determined by the pitcher and the runner.

When I sign a catcher, I'm going to worry much more about his hitting and how he handles the pitching staff. If he can throw out runners, that's just a bonus.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
So the difference between a very good catcher and a very bad catcher is under 20%, which, like I said, is a minority of stealing attempts. Over 80% of the time the outcome is determined by the pitcher and the runner.

When I sign a catcher, I'm going to worry much more about his hitting and how he handles the pitching staff. If he can throw out runners, that's just a bonus.

Just think though about how big the difference was when Juan Pierre was stealing successfully about 75% of the time versus when he was stealing 50% of the time last year.

In the former case, it becomes an effective weapon. In the latter case, you're angry every time he runs.

Just think though about how big the difference was when Juan Pierre was stealing successfully about 75% of the time versus when he was stealing 50% of the time last year.

In the former case, it becomes an effective weapon. In the latter case, you're angry every time he runs.

Unless he's at 80%, I'm angry every time he runs with less than 2 outs. And he's only been above 75% in half of his seasons anyway.