HIS name is RIOS and HE dances on the sand

CyAcosta41

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 12:08 AM)
I don't think any team would risk paying that kind of money for Rios with his past history of alleged laziness. He's having a great year. He'll remain a White Sox IMO with no offers coming KW's way. We just should be happy he's turned it around. Look at Cubs' Soriano. He's been a waste for years making all that loot. Rios hopefully has reinvented himself. That swing is a thing of beauty now.

But really, you're only looking at a down year in 2009 (still had 71 RBI's after only putting up 9 for the Sox in basically 2 months), a very strong 2010 where he did tail off at the end...there's only 2011 that is the outlier, and a lot of that can be blamed on Ozzie and the general malaise around the entire organization, the split between KW's "side" and Ozzie's "side," etc.

Also, one has to remember that he was taking playing time directly away from one of the most popular Sox players in Jermaine Dye, and that must have caused some level of discomfort in the clubhouse as well, in terms of the team chemistry, having been jettisoned by the only organization he'd ever played for in the Blue Jays...etc.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
:notworthy

Absolutely. Kudos to you, dude. I know that somebody has been doing the Duran Duran Rios thing for awhile now, but couldn't remember who it was.

In no way was I trying to steal your thunder. Rather, with the sand of the sliding pit right there, and with the importance of that play, YOUR Duran Duran Rios thing has never been more apt!

:lol:

You aren't the only one using it lately and I was mostly just kidding.

But thanks :headbang

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Specific examples? I remember a couple times when he seemed like he was moving in slow motion in CF, but nobody has ever proven to me that he wasn't trying. Contrast that with AJ and PK who never run out pop ups and grounders, but it's never brought up. Or, when Lillibridge lost us a game in CF last year, and he was a cult hero. My point I guess is that some guys unfairly develop reputations they don't deserve. Hell, Rowands a great example too. He had a reputation for his effort, but it was the result of being a bad CF. He was diving all over the place because he never got a read or broke the wrong way. Sorry for rambling. I like Alex Rios.

Google is your friend.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Asoxt...lient=firefox-a

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)
There were plenty of people who would have traded him at this deadline just for the salary relief.

I don't think there is any way in hell you move him this offseason unless you actually get a really nice package of young players.

We acquired him so we could win. Now that we are winning, and he is showing you what you knew he could, you don't move him unless someone makes you.

I would say most of Soxtalk would have moved him. And we would have been f***ed without him.

There were plenty of people who would have traded him at this deadline just for the salary relief.

I don't think there is any way in hell you move him this offseason unless you actually get a really nice package of young players.

We acquired him so we could win. Now that we are winning, and he is showing you what you knew he could, you don't move him unless someone makes you.

On July 31 the Sox were 2½ games up on Detroit. There's no way I'd have moved Rios without getting a very good starting pitcher in return, and the teams that would have been interested in Rios were contenders who weren't giving up starting pitching.

Same thing this offseason. No chance I move Rios unless I get a starter back who's better and cheaper than Gavin Floyd.