Time to revisit the 2nd Amendment?

BigSqwert

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 10:27 AM)
That could also be turned back around the other way... How come people who want regulations and rules for one amendment, don't want any for another? It works both ways.

but it's not changing the amendment. it says you have the right to keep and bear arms. under my suggestions you STILL HAVE THAT RIGHT! you just have to go through some red tape. it would make it harder for people to get guns with which to commit crimes. no it wouldn't eradicate crime, that's impossible. but why is it so wrong of us to do something that may deter it?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
That could also be turned back around the other way... How come people who want regulations and rules for one amendment, don't want any for another? It works both ways.

because one is doing demonstrable harm to our society and is questionably an individual right in the first place?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
None of that would prevent mass shootings so I don't see the point. You're going to allow people to own a gun, but if they own too many, what? Have police on constant surveillance? You want someone with mental disorders from guns? How's that going to stop a mentally unstable 20 year old taking his mom's guns?

Require guns to be securely stored and locked. Severely restrict or ban handguns such that no one has easy access to them. Restrict rifles based on the rate of fire. Introduce magazine size limits. Require a license-with-justification, not shall-issue permits.

Listen, making it illegal to have semi-automatic guns and handguns would, without a doubt, lower the murder rate in this country. Though the number would obviously be much higher, even just a 1% decrease in the murder rate in this country would be worth it.

If you disagree, then you are pro-murder. :o

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
Listen, making it illegal to have semi-automatic guns and handguns would, without a doubt, lower the murder rate in this country. Though the number would obviously be much higher, even just a 1% decrease in the murder rate in this country would be worth it.

truth.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
Require guns to be securely stored and locked. Severely restrict or ban handguns such that no one has easy access to them. Restrict rifles based on the rate of fire. Introduce magazine size limits. Require a license-with-justification, not shall-issue permits.

The justification is because it is my right and I want it. Who are you to decide that for me? Maybe you should need to justify that cheeseburger you want to order for lunch when they decide to regulate what you eat next.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)

sem·i·au·to·mat·ic

[ sèmmee àwtə máttik ]

1. reloading automatically: automatically ejecting a spent shell from a weapon's chamber and replacing it with another round each time the weapon is fired

2. partially automated: operated partly automatically and partly manually

3. semiautomatic weapon: a weapon that is semiautomatic. One trigger pull, one shot

NOT a machine gun. NOT an automatic weapon. MOST handguns and rifles sold are semi-automatic. Identifying guns with that phrase is meant only to instill fear or cause confusion with people that don't know the difference.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
The justification is because it is my right and I want it. Who are you to decide that for me? Maybe you should need to justify that cheeseburger you want to order for lunch when they decide to regulate what you eat next.

can i use a cheeseburger to kill 20 children?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
but it's not changing the amendment. it says you have the right to keep and bear arms. under my suggestions you STILL HAVE THAT RIGHT! you just have to go through some red tape. it would make it harder for people to get guns with which to commit crimes. no it wouldn't eradicate crime, that's impossible. but why is it so wrong of us to do something that may deter it?

And you still would have the right to vote...

I did not read through this entire thread, but my opinion on this is that there is no reason a regular citizen needs an assault rifle - none. Handguns, however, can have many personal uses and I believe fully in American's right to own them. That being said, I also think it is currently way too easy to acquire the license to do so and have no problems with stricter regulations and background checks before granted someone that privilege.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
can i use a cheeseburger to kill 20 children?

Obesity is a national epidemic. Cheeseburgers kill people all the time! Come on. didn't you get that memo from Michelle? You shoudl have to justify why you want it, for the good of the country. if it saves just one life, it is worth it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
And you still would have the right to vote...

yeah i know. but comparing voting to owning a weapon that can kill 26 people in the span of a couple minutes... well... i just don't really think they're equatable

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:48 AM)
I did not read through this entire thread, but my opinion on this is that there is no reason a regular citizen needs an assault rifle - none. Handguns, however, can have many personal uses and I believe fully in American's right to own them. That being said, I also think it is currently way too easy to acquire the license to do so and have no problems with stricter regulations and background checks before granted someone that privilege.

You are aware that the current shooter did not acquire his guns legally, aren't you? So no matter what rules you had in place, he would have still got them. There ARE background checks, which stopped him from actually purchasing one himself.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)

I'm somebody living in a democracy who can take part in the discussion to craft policies for social good. I believe that the current liberalized gun laws in this country are demonstrably harmful and should be changed. I don't feel the need to placate your desire to own a handgun if it comes at the expense of the current saturation of weapons we have in this country. There are plenty of weapons we as a society tell you you cannot have.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
Obesity is a national epidemic. Cheeseburgers kill people all the time! Come on. didn't you get that memo from Michelle? You shoudl have to justify why you want it, for the good of the country. if it saves just one life, it is worth it.

i would love, just once, for you to have an opinion that is supported by something other than sarcasm and snark. do you even KNOW why you hold the opinions you do? can you defend your positions without comparing them to completely unrelated subjects and creating false correlations?

i don't think you can.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
yeah i know. but comparing voting to owning a weapon that can kill 26 people in the span of a couple minutes... well... i just don't really think they're equatable

Hamas got voted in in Gaza, look at all the deaths there. Elections have consequences.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)

How about equitable to an abortion doctor? It is interesting how the arguments for the two issues are so similar. The side that is pro- doesn't want to cede any ground on the idea that it will lead to a slippery slope which will end up in the complete loss of the issue for the group. The common sense stuff in the middle gets completely lost because of the negatively political ground given up by the slippery slope.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
You are aware that the current shooter did not acquire his guns legally, aren't you? So no matter what rules you had in place, he would have still got them. There ARE background checks, which stopped him from actually purchasing one himself.

1) his mother bought them legally

2) there was nothing in his background that would have set off a red flag on his check. he had no criminal record.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:47 AM)
sem·i·au·to·mat·ic

[ sèmmee àwtə máttik ]

1. reloading automatically: automatically ejecting a spent shell from a weapon's chamber and replacing it with another round each time the weapon is fired

2. partially automated: operated partly automatically and partly manually

3. semiautomatic weapon: a weapon that is semiautomatic. One trigger pull, one shot

NOT a machine gun. NOT an automatic weapon. MOST handguns and rifles sold are semi-automatic. Identifying guns with that phrase is meant only to instill fear or cause confusion with people that don't know the difference.

Identify guns with that phrase is an accurate description. They are semi-automatic, and they generally have rates of fire that exceed non-automatic weapons.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 10:52 AM)
How about equitable to an abortion doctor? It is interesting how the arguments for the two issues are so similar. The side that is pro- doesn't want to cede any ground on the idea that it will lead to a slippery slope which will end up in the complete loss of the issue for the group. The common sense stuff in the middle gets completely lost because of the negatively political ground given up by the slippery slope.

nobody disagrees that a 6 year old girl is a person. and nobody disagrees that a 40 year old teacher is a person.

there's your difference.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)

Unless we had rules that wouldn't have allowed his mother, whom he took the guns from and then shot to death, to own those guns. She was a law-abiding citizen.