The Ghetto is Public Policy

StrangeSox

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you reconcile the fact that in each of the situations you linked they are suing for damages?

It kind of disproves your point that white society believes this is type of profiling is acceptable behavior, it actually shows the exact opposite.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 28, 2014 -> 05:35 PM)
How do you reconcile the fact that in each of the situations you linked they are suing for damages?

It kind of disproves your point that white society believes this is type of profiling is acceptable behavior, it actually shows the exact opposite.

It shows that it still happens on a regular basis. Stop and frisk was standard NYPD policy until very recently. Getting pulled over for "Driving While Black" is a thing. Enough of white society believes its okay that it's an ongoing factor.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 28, 2014 -> 05:32 PM)
No, it's about how you'll be viewed by the white majority society, which can only be defined by white society.

Which is how success and failure is measured in this society, and what passes for fair in repaying any historical slights.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 28, 2014 -> 05:37 PM)
It shows that it still happens on a regular basis. Stop and frisk was standard NYPD policy until very recently. Getting pulled over for "Driving While Black" is a thing. Enough of white society believes its okay that it's an ongoing factor.

Youre reaching. A certain subset of clowns think its acceptable, but I do not believe they speak for white society. If they did, then you wouldnt get successful lawsuits for profiling. You are trying to blame the whole for the actions of the few.

Its no different than saying all black people are gang members, because well some of them are and I can find articles to prove it.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 28, 2014 -> 05:40 PM)
Youre reaching. A certain subset of clowns think its acceptable, but I do not believe they speak for white society. If they did, then you wouldnt get successful lawsuits for profiling. You are trying to blame the whole for the actions of the few.

Its no different than saying all black people are gang members, because well some of them are and I can find articles to prove it.

Again, the NYPD had a policy of explicitly stopping and frisking black people, particularly young men, simply for being black people. Up until last year. How can you discount the policy of the police in the country's largest city?

And then throw the ongoing housing discrimination on top of it by major banks. The disparity in discipline for young children. The disparity in crime prosecution rates and sentencing. etc. etc.

edit: so S&F is still the policy of the NYPD, but the new mayor has promised to reform it.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 28, 2014 -> 05:43 PM)
Again, the NYPD had a policy of explicitly stopping and frisking black people, particularly young men, simply for being black people. Up until last year. How can you discount the policy of the police in the country's largest city?

And then throw the ongoing housing discrimination on top of it by major banks. The disparity in discipline for young children. The disparity in crime prosecution rates and sentencing. etc. etc.

edit: so S&F is still the policy of the NYPD, but the new mayor has promised to reform it.

You've officially become the guiltiest white man at Shawshank.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 28, 2014 -> 07:56 PM)
I don't even know what that's supposed to mean

You absolutely do, and you absolutely personify it.

Maybe you should donate all of your money and give your home/apartment away to a black person, perhaps that would make you feel better and absolve you of sins you never committed.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 28, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)
You absolutely do, and you absolutely personify it.

Maybe you should donate all of your money and give your home/apartment away to a black person, perhaps that would make you feel better and absolve you of sins you never committed.

I think it's reversed. Look at the ridiculous lengths you guys are going to in order to sleep at night.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 28, 2014 -> 07:05 PM)
Also apparently y2hh hasn't bothered to read the article or this thread, because I've said feeling white guilt is dumb and unproductive anyway.

Especially considering the arguments they've posed to avoid it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 28, 2014 -> 09:29 PM)
Especially considering the arguments they've posed to avoid it.

...and we have the second guiltiest white man at Shawshank.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 28, 2014 -> 09:05 PM)
Also apparently y2hh hasn't bothered to read the article or this thread, because I've said feeling white guilt is dumb and unproductive anyway.

You can say anything you want, but the actions of your words say otherwise.

You are so full of white guilt you can't even see anymore.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 29, 2014 -> 07:46 AM)
I wonder if you can articulate what you even mean by that and how it applies to this article. Hell, more importantly, put me aside entirely and just engage the article.

My opinions on it fall in line with what Soxbadger has written about quite a few times in this thread. There is no need to rehash what he's saying, he's already said it perfectly.

the nerve!

eta on the other hand, you guys have definitely never rejected what a black person or persons claim is or isn't racist.

eta2 it can also be useful to distinguish between argue and discuss-with-disagreements

Edited by StrangeSox

Prof. Sharkey replied to me regarding the work referenced in the article. I haven't had a chance to read the links yet but thought I'd drop them here:

Thanks for your note. You might want to check out the paper that generated this statistic: http://patricksharkey.net/images/pdf/Sharkey_AJS_2014.pdf

Lots of factors lead to this: continuing discrimination; informal hostility toward blacks; remnants of housing policy from decades ago; continuing zoning policies that constrain the housing options of nonwhites; preferences among affluent members of all groups to not live w African Americans.

This article is probably the best analysis of why these discrepancies exist and are not explained by wealth and income: http://asr.sagepub.com/content/77/3/354.abstract

I read the article, it doesnt support his position. It supports my position that its not just black minorities and instead it it includes Hispanics. Which ultimately destroys the entire essence of the original piece that somehow this is a black phenomenon and that blacks exclusively should be deserving of reparations due to something bad that happened a long time ago.

If the article was "minorities in America deserve a better chance", id 100% agree. But when you arbitrarily select 1 race, its self-serving.

So, the practices ended in 1960. Whites created the ghetto. It's been 50 years. Why are they still ghettos? At some point he, and others, need to recognize there's an internal black community issue at play here that also needs fixing. Blaming the white man doesn't really help.