Disney sexies up Merida from Brave, parents upset about body image iss

caulfield12

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
I did quote, I just removed the brackets because it was to long and would look really stupid.

Hence why I used:

Quote:

Response:

------

But if that is your excuse for tapping out, so be it.

I'm not tapping out, learn how to post to internet forums.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
Steroids help you work out, they dont cause any serious medical issues for a 13 year old?

If you can show me stats that 13 year old boys are using steroids in a proportion anywhere close to the amount of 13 year old girls that are bulimic or anorexic, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Until that time, it's a ridiculous comparison. And as already noted in the thread, bulimia and anorexia hit young women at a rate 9x that of men. AND the majority of those it impacts are healthy women.

But yeah, let's equate that to the 13 year old boys that are using steroids...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
Generally speaking, depends on the field. Sports? Merit for men, primarily looks for women. Most other fields? Mixes of who you know, race, class, educational background, some merit etc. etc.

Sure, but not constantly on sexuality. They're also not in a dominant position of power so to whatever extent women judge men in a sexual manner in a non-sexual context, the actual impact is much less. Plus our culture as a whole doesn't reinforce the constant sexualization of men.

I hate to break it to you, but men are pretty much constantly judged for their ability to provide, which equates to how much money they make or how much power they have.

In any civilization, both women and men are judged for their overall attractiveness as a potential mate. The characteristics which define that attractiveness just happen to be different.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
You're being so elitist because he doesn't use the quote function...how judgmental and terrible of you...we need to eliminate all intellectual elitism from the world and act like mediocre idiots.

I did use the quote feature, I just removed it because on a really long block of text (I quoted and responded to him point by point), Id either need to quote block every piece of text, or respond within the quote block.

I find both of those to be unappealing.

But I suspected this result. Its hypocritical, there is no denying it.

I dont find it necessary to make every female character hot, but I dont find it necessary to make every male character hot. Thus if Im going to b**** at Disney, its going to be about both male and female characters.

But I assume the mom in question doesnt want anyone to touch her beefcake Gaston.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 14, 2013 -> 10:33 AM)
If you can show me stats that 13 year old boys are using steroids in a proportion anywhere close to the amount of 13 year old girls that are bulimic or anorexic, I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Until that time, it's a ridiculous comparison. And as already noted in the thread, bulimia and anorexia hit young women at a rate 9x that of men. AND the majority of those it impacts are healthy women.

We could just use your previous response...

Is it the biggest problem of the week, no...but it is an issue.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
I hate to break it to you, but men are pretty much constantly judged for their ability to provide, which equates how much money they make or how much power they have.

Ok, that was a pretty broad question, I'll (generally) accept your answer here if you're referring to how a woman might judge a potential partner.

In any civilization, both women and men are judged for their overall attractiveness as a potential mate. The characteristics which define that attractiveness just happen to be different.

Sure, absolutely. But women are judged for their physical attractiveness in non-sexual contexts constantly.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)

http://www.drugfree.org/join-together/drug...increase-muscle

1 in 20 use steroids.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cont...2-0095.abstract

Not a problem at all.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
I dont find it necessary to make every female character hot, but I dont find it necessary to make every male character hot. Thus if Im going to b**** at Disney, its going to be about both male and female characters.

But I assume the mom in question doesnt want anyone to touch her beefcake Gaston.

Are you aware of what the start of this discussion was? It was Disney deliberately changing a very recent character and sexualizing her. That's what is being criticized. They didn't also go back and sex-up the male characters in this movie, just the female lead.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
We could just use your previous response...

Is it the biggest problem of the week, no...but it is an issue.

Dont waste your time

Strangesox quit because he cant read a paragraph.

In 1 second I found stats that show just how terrible steroid use is, but who cares!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:32 PM)
Where's the case where men are sexualized and judged on their attractiveness constantly?

Go read some articles covering female CEO's, actors, and politicians and note how many times their appearance is deemed a legitimate topic of discussion. Then go read some articles about male CEO's, actors and politicians. Look at how many unattractive men hold prominent positions versus how many women.

Go to a bar on a Friday night. All the women judge men equally, right? They all talk to the fat uglies as much as the tall muscular guys, right?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
Go to a bar on a Friday night. All the women judge men equally, right? They all talk to the fat uglies as much as the tall muscular guys, right?

I wont hire pretty female lawyers.

Why?

Because I presume that they never have had to work hard and always have been given something.

Who is going to stand up for their rights!?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
Where's the case where men are sexualized and judged on their attractiveness constantly?

Go read some articles covering female CEO's, actors, and politicians and note how many times their appearance is deemed a legitimate topic of discussion. Then go read some articles about male CEO's, actors and politicians. Look at how many unattractive men hold prominent positions versus how many women.

I can't remember where I was reading this....but lots of financial firms "reverse discriminate" and hire bald/pudgy/glasses-wearing/accountant males for their advertising campaigns.

Supposedly, it makes everyone feel more comfortable, when investing or talking about their finances. We're programmed not to trust someone "too good looking" because they're distracting.

Find an ugly or average looking woman at a BMW/Audi/Mercedes dealership or showroom.

The classic Hollywood example. Once an actress is in her late 30's/early 40's, she's no longer desirable or "sexy" enough, so she becomes a mother/comic in her roles.

Whereas guys like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt are pushing 50 (remember Catherine Zeta Jones and Sean Connery in Entrapment?) customarily have 25-30 year old girlfriends or love interests, the most recent pairing, Cruise and Olga Kurylenko in Oblivion.

Besides THE GRADUATE and American Pie (and those MILF fixations are the storyline or joke that we're all in on), how many movies can you name where the young male lead is with a significantly older woman?

American Gigolo, lol?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 14, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)

And the guy driving the Accord more than the guy driving the BMW...

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)

Man, you just got gold in the 4x4 "not even remotely close to getting it" relay.

A bar with drinking can often be a sexual/attractiveness context. The idea isn't that people are wrong or shouldn't judge others on sexual appeal ever. The reality is that women are judged on sexual appeal constantly, men aren't and that this leads to self-esteem and body issues for women and also marginalization.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
Dont waste your time

Strangesox quit because he cant read a paragraph.

In 1 second I found stats that show just how terrible steroid use is, but who cares!

I saw about 40 separate lines, not any paragraphs. I wasn't going to take the time to break that s*** up. If you actually condense it to a readable paragraph I might!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:43 PM)
I can't remember where I was reading this....but lots of financial firms "reverse discriminate" and hire bald/pudgy/glasses-wearing/accountant males for their advertising campaigns.

Supposedly, it makes everyone feel more comfortable, when investing or talking about their finances. We're programmed not to trust someone "too good looking" because they're distracting.

Find an ugly or average looking woman at a BMW/Audi/Mercedes dealership or showroom.

The classic Hollywood example. Once an actress is in her late 30's/early 40's, she's no longer desirable or "sexy" enough, so she becomes a mother/comic in her roles.

Whereas guys like Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt are pushing 50 (remember Catherine Zeta Jones and Sean Connery in Entrapment?) customarily have 25-30 year old girlfriends or love interests, the most recent pairing, Cruise and Olga Kurylenko in Oblivion.

Besides THE GRADUATE and American Pie (and those MILF fixations are the storyline or joke that we're all in on), how many movies can you name where the young male lead is with a significantly older woman?

American Gigolo, lol?

Demi Moore/Ashton Kutcher is the real life example.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
Man, you just got gold in the 4x4 "not even remotely close to getting it" relay.

A bar with drinking can often be a sexual/attractiveness context. The idea isn't that people are wrong or shouldn't judge others on sexual appeal ever. The reality is that women are judged on sexual appeal constantly, men aren't and that this leads to self-esteem and body issues for women and also marginalization.

And men are judged on their ability to provide constantly, which leads to self-esteem and body issues for men and also marginalization.

Shack and Jenks,

I wouldnt bother. Weve now just gone into "personal opinion".

While some of us can be rationale and admit that EVERYONE is being constantly judged by attractiveness, other people have to make up some argument that "it happens more to women".

I just posted evidence about how many boys take steroids due to image issues, but no one cares. Its just simply "PROTECT OUR INNOCENT DAUGHTERS".

Screw that noise. Either we protect everyone (and contrary to certain people that includes boys), or we protect no one.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:44 PM)

Nice backtrack.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
And the guy driving the Accord more than the guy driving the BMW...

Hence, the dating/pick-up book THE GAME, and all the knockoff's and derivations....teaching average or below-average looking men how to pick-up and have casual sex with knockouts, and that every woman should be rated on a 1-10 scale.

Heck, look at the beginning of FACEBOOK, the "rating" system for "hotties" in the Harvard dorms. Websites like "hot or not?"

Or, ANY TIME a female celebrity either gains weight or looks too thing, it's a fixation for the news media for a week or two. OMG, Jessica Simpson can't lose all that weight post-baby, the world is coming to an end....95% of those stories are about female celebrities.

Ashley Judd wrote a long, and quite well-researched response to her magazine photos and covers being photoshopped.

This photoshopping trend (think the buxom girls like my avatar) on the cover of Cosmo or Vogue or FHM....it's almost always targeting females, is it not? Too fat? Slice off centimeters from her thighs, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
Shack and Jenks,

I wouldnt bother. Weve now just gone into "personal opinion".

While some of us can be rationale and admit that EVERYONE is being constantly judged by attractiveness, other people have to make up some argument that "it happens more to women".

I just posted evidence about how many boys take steroids due to image issues, but no one cares. Its just simply "PROTECT OUR INNOCENT DAUGHTERS".

Screw that noise. Either we protect everyone (and contrary to certain people that includes boys), or we protect no one.

Dar, you win a medal for lacking reading comprehension, dar!

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 14, 2013 -> 11:37 AM)

Fair enough. Steroid use is a bigger problem in high school than I was aware.

Will you, perhaps, concede that bulimia and anorexia are a major helath issue amongst high school girls and that it derives from a standard that makes healthy girls think they are unattractive if they aren't model thin? And that popular culture helps to push an unhelathy standard for women?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
I saw about 40 separate lines, not any paragraphs. I wasn't going to take the time to break that s*** up. If you actually condense it to a readable paragraph I might!

It was your post. I just put in responses. So any complaints should be towards you.

I quoted, not my fault if you dont like your own writing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 14, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
Hence, the dating/pick-up book THE GAME, and all the knockoff's and derivations....teaching average or below-average looking men how to pick-up and have casual sex with knockouts, and that every woman should be rated on a 1-10 scale.

Heck, look at the beginning of FACEBOOK, the "rating" system for "hotties" in the Harvard dorms. Websites like "hot or not."

No one would deny that (1) men do it more often and (2) men are more upfront/open about it. But guys are judged all the time and to pretend otherwise is just stupid.