Rex Hudler

Jeremy Reed's BA after tonight.......

Also includes 15 doubles, 2 triples, 36 RBI in 216 AB's.....

His overall numbers, including both Winston and Birmingham:

Games 122

Avg. .372

Runs 83

Hits 163

2B 33

3B 4

HR 11

RBI 88

BB 64

K 36

SB 43

CS 19

Games 122

Avg.    .372

Runs      83

Hits      163

2B      33

3B        4

HR      11

RBI        88

BB      64

K        36

SB      43

CS      19

:o

Ok Capn12... what is the deal with no Elcaballo on your Boys of summer list there....  You have some explaining to do... :angry:

Right now Carlos is in a very competitive battle with Frank and Maggs for MVP of this team, excluding E LO. :headbang

What is it gonna take to promote him to AAA? Why did they wait so long. It's pointless now, but they should have done this earlier.

What was the purpose of promoting him to AAA? He is not going to the Big Leagues this year anyway. All he would be doing is taking someone else's spot in AAA and causing other players to move up faster than they might be ready.

Ok Capn12... what is the deal with no Elcaballo on your Boys of summer list there....  You have some explaining to do... :angry:

Just put the guys that I have been big fans of since day 1....CLee was never real high on my list, but he's getting there....not really any room on there now anyways :D

Games 122

Avg.    .372

Runs      83

Hits      163

2B      33

3B        4

HR      11

RBI        88

BB      64

K        36

SB      43

CS      19

Hey Rex. U seem pretty knowledgable on the Sox farm system. Do u get baseball america or baseball prospectus? Do u get your info from the net? Do u actually watch gms on tv? Help a brotha out....

What is it gonna take to promote him to AAA? Why did they wait so long. It's pointless now, but they should have done this earlier.

Remember last year when we had Olivo down there? Everyone was wondering if he was going to be called up to Charlotte but they kept him down there to help Birmingham win it all.

Now I know, Miguel Olivo is no Jeremy Reed.

However I think that's still what they're doing.

I'd like to see Reed and Borchard starting next year in AAA.

CWSOX45

Remember last year when we had Olivo down there? Everyone was wondering if he was going to be called up to Charlotte but they kept him down there to help Birmingham win it all.

CWSOX45

Borchard, lol. If he isnt ready to hit major league pitching by next season, he might as well go back to football. Im tired of this waste being hyped. :nono

CWSOX45

If Reed started the year in AA then he would definitely be in AAA by now. He has only spent a half season in AA at this point. I do think there is some validity to leaving him in Birmingham to help out with the pennant race (take him out of the Barons lineup and they are cooked), but I think it is also just natural development.

The Hoover Met where the Barons play is a pitcher's park. Not many HR's are hit there (note only 1 of Reed's 7 w/ Birm.) so hitters are challenged to use all fields and hit the ball in the gaps. Reed does this very well. Charlotte from what I have heard, is a smaller park and guys can tend to fall in love with trying to hit HR's there, which can retard development.

Also, remember that he started off so hot and hitting around .500 for a long time, then he cooled off down to around .390. He dropped pretty quickly, so you might say he was in a slump of sorts. He has gotten hot since and is back over .400, but it is so close to the end of the season, there is not much good to come from a change of scenery now.

So, rather than sending him to AAA for a month, it is just as good for him to stay in Birmingham.

Games 122

Avg.    .372

Runs      83

Hits      163

2B      33

3B        4

HR      11

RBI        88

BB      64

K        36

SB      43

CS      19

Hey Rex. U seem pretty knowledgable on the Sox farm system. Do u get baseball america or baseball prospectus? Do u get your info from the net? Do u actually watch gms on tv? Help a brotha out....

Jordan, my baseball knowledge comes from many sources. To begin with, I have played (college), coached, and umpired (all at the amateur level) for many years, so I have seen many great players and have been around the game all my life. I have friends that have played in the Major Leagues and many that played in the Minors that never made it, so I have a pretty decent idea of what it is like from the players perspective. I know a handful of college coaches and talk baseball with them semi-regularly.

I do follow Baseball America regularly, but the main way I learn about the Sox players is by watching games. I watch probably 70% of the Barons home games so I get to see these guys up close. I have also gotten to know several of the scouts that regularly cover the Southern League, so I talk to them as well. At a Minor League game they are very accessible and always sit at the same place. I know some guys that work for the Barons as well.

Being around the park a lot, you can learn a lot about what is going on, who is coming and who is going. You get chances to see young guys as they arrive at this level. Watching Minor League baseball is much more intimate than the Major Leagues. In most instances, the worst seats in a Minor League stadium are the same as the best seats that most are able to get at a Major League game. Players are accessible. You can talk to them, get to know them a little bit.

After watching for several years, you get a better feel for who is a real prospect and who is a pretender. Sometimes you are wrong, but I guarantee you I am more accurate than I would have been 10 years ago. Watching them play you can see how hard they play. Some guys dog it half the time and could be so much better if they busted their ass.

Hope I didn't ramble too long.

Rex, usually about how many people show up at minor league games?

That varies from city to city.......

The Barons average between 4,000-5,000. Yet some nights are only 1,000-2,000 while others are 7,000-10,000.

I know Kane County up near Chicago draws real well (6,000-7,000 a night, I believe). As a general rule, AAA teams are more well attended than AA teams, and so on... There are definite exceptions, like Kane County, however.

The Barons average between 4,000-5,000.  Yet some nights are only 1,000-2,000 while others are 7,000-10,000.

I know Kane County up near Chicago draws real well (6,000-7,000 a night, I believe).  As a general rule, AAA teams are more well attended than AA teams, and so on...  There are definite exceptions, like Kane County, however.

Kannapolis didn't look to draw too much. They were probably 200 people for one of the games I saw. The 2nd was rained out and they looked to get more like 2000 that night.

There is a big variation in crowd size depending on whether there is a giveaway and what day of the week it is.

The Knights have drawn pretty well at times this year, but they are dead last in the IL or at least they were a while ago in attendance. Still they get around 5000 a game.

Warthogs drew very good the two games i was at. Both games were around 3000 people and the fans were in the games.

The Barons average between 4,000-5,000.  Yet some nights are only 1,000-2,000 while others are 7,000-10,000.

I know Kane County up near Chicago draws real well (6,000-7,000 a night, I believe).  As a general rule, AAA teams are more well attended than AA teams, and so on...  There are definite exceptions, like Kane County, however.

Kannapolis didn't look to draw too much. They were probably 200 people for one of the games I saw. The 2nd was rained out and they looked to get more like 2000 that night.

There is a big variation in crowd size depending on whether there is a giveaway and what day of the week it is.

The Knights have drawn pretty well at times this year, but they are dead last in the IL or at least they were a while ago in attendance. Still they get around 5000 a game.

Warthogs drew very good the two games i was at. Both games were around 3000 people and the fans were in the games.

Yeah, the day of the week makes a huge difference......

For instance, last weekend in Birmingham, the Barons had somwehere around 6,000 on Friday night, 10,000 on Saturday night, 3,000 on Sunday night and barely 1,000 on Monday night.

Mondays usually blow. Attendance also falls off big time in mid-week games after school starts.

The Barons do 25-cent hot dogs on Tuesdays and $1 beers on Thursdays, so they do better on those nights than Mondays or Wednesdays. There have been Mondays or Wednesdays where you can practically count the fans one by one.

And how much are tickets?

$6 - $8 which is typical for the Minor Leagues....... some teams may have some higher priced tickets and some may have some lower, but that is a good range. Minor League baseball is built on affordability for families.