"Get Up" Guy

mreye

You know at some point all these guys become embarrasing. I still remember the Superfan at Bulls games who weighed like 350 pounds and would sprint circles around the floor. We weren't laughing with him

The worst of all is the "Original San Diego Chicken" is still touring minor and independant league stadiums to keep the glory. Sad replica of when he first came on the scene.

I believe all these guys, and it's always guys, should have an expiration date when they have to adopt a new identity, possibly through gainful employment.

Texsox Posted on Aug 26 2003, 04:41 PM

You know at some point all these guys become embarrasing. I still remember the Superfan at Bulls games who weighed like 350 pounds and would sprint circles around the floor. We weren't laughing with him

The worst of all is the "Original San Diego Chicken" is still touring minor and independant league stadiums to keep the glory. Sad replica of when he first came on the scene.

I believe all these guys, and it's always guys, should have an expiration date when they have to adopt a new identity, possibly through gainful employment. 

This isn't the same though. Anybody who makes noise around home plate is asked to be quiet. I sat in the 2nd row behind the dugout for a twinkie game and had 6 security guys come down and sit in the aisle next to me because I was shouting too much. I never threatened a player or said anything personal to them, and management frowned on me for making noise. I say management because security only does what they are told to do. And I wasn't swearing either.

GUG is not a superfan, he is a real person, a good person, a generous person, a die hard fan, and not seeking glory, just being a sox fan, and he is one of the kindest, most generous people I know, he is for real, and not for pretend glory - he is all about the Sox.

I agree that show off fans are a joke but let me assure you that is not GUG. He is a very good person and a great Sox fan and like me waving my sock or Zach23 and Huge chanting "take him out, leave in him" or HSC yelling "nice ass" to Magglio (or Borchard), just another part of the real Sox fans being themselves.

cwsox Posted on Aug 26 2003, 05:21 PM GUG is not a superfan, he is a real person, a good person, a generous person, a die hard fan, and not seeking glory, just being a sox fan, and he is one of the kindest, most generous people I know, he is for real, and not for pretend glory - he is all about the Sox.

We need more people like GUG.

Let me start by saying that I don't know GUG, and have never met him. Based on everyone's statements about him, I don't doubt for a minute that he's a great guy and a great Sox fan.

That said, I have a hard time enjoying a game when I'm around an OVERLY loud or exuberant fan. When it seems choreographed or repetitive, that just makes it worse.

In his case, I would hear him on the radio broadcasts and it would bug me even then. And since his license plate has some variation of Get Up on it, there seems to be a certain measure of ego or whatever involved, in my opinion.

I have nothing against fans being loud, but not when it disrupts my enjoyment of the game.

Again, it's just MY opinion...............doesn't mean I'm right.

I do have to agree with The Critic... Also, not only were there complaints from the broadcast booth, but there were sometimes complaints about Dan from the players families and wives. Not excessive.. but sometimes in a way only Dan could do.. he was a bit too outspoken. I like Dan a lot. I have nothing but respect for him. But when I sit in F&F I will admit that I act differently than when I am in my season seats. I just can't imagine the players families (home and visitors) were always happy with his cheering. I'm sure this was not just a Rooney & Farmer broadcasting issue.

I don't change for anybody. I talk to the players the whole game without swearing. I try to distract the visiting team and make them think about things they shouldn't be thinking about. I try to get the rest of the crowd around me into the game. I am the same person whether I'm sitting in the bleachers or next to the on deck circle. The ironic part about all of this is that other message boards were bashing the Sox fans for being so quiet at the All-Star game.

I don't change for anybody. I talk to the players the whole game without swearing. I try to distract the visiting team and make them think about things they shouldn't be thinking about. I try to get the rest of the crowd around me into the game. I am the same person whether I'm sitting in the bleachers or next to the on deck circle. The ironic part about all of this is that other message boards were bashing the Sox fans for being so quiet at the All-Star game.

Zach.. I do believe there is a difference from what you do.. and standing up in the aisle and screaming at the top of your lungs.. then proceeding to run up and down the aisle.

I'd never heard of this guy until yesterday.  But from what I read, he sounds pretty cool. I also have never heard of Andy the Clown.  Someone please explain to me.

I will tell you nothing about Andy the Clown because your asking about him, knowing nothing about him, makes me feel very, very old, like I am fan from yesteryear. Which I guess I am but don't need to be reminded.

:lol:

So in your opinion, when is it ok for a fan to be loud and when is it disruptive? Based on what you are saying, Anaheim was way out of line last yr for giving out those thundersticks.

Those Dundersticks are an abomination!

They should be outlawed, and any team that hands out those dopey thumpsticks should not be allowed to quiet any fan, no matter how disruptive they get.

I am not the arbiter of such things, and I personally do not complain to management about loud fans. I only complain when people get out of line, whether it's being physically disruptive or by being overly obnoxious and/or vulgar.

I am only talking about what I personally feel is uncomfortable to me as a paying customer. Generally speaking, I get bothered by foul language, personal verbal attacks on players, yelling just for the sake of yelling, things of that nature. There's no hard and fast rule about when it bugs me, I just know when it does.

The Critic Posted on Aug 26 2003, 07:03 PM

QUOTE (zach61 @ Aug 26 2003, 11:53 AM)

So in your opinion, when is it ok for a fan to be loud and when is it disruptive? Based on what you are saying, Anaheim was way out of line last yr for giving out those thundersticks. 

Those Dundersticks are an abomination!

They should be outlawed, and any team that hands out those dopey thumpsticks should not be allowed to quiet any fan, no matter how disruptive they get.

I am not the arbiter of such things, and I personally do not complain to management about loud fans. I only complain when people get out of line, whether it's being physically disruptive or by being overly obnoxious and/or vulgar.

I am only talking about what I personally feel is uncomfortable to me as a paying customer. Generally speaking, I get bothered by foul language, personal verbal attacks on players, yelling just for the sake of yelling, things of that nature. There's no hard and fast rule about when it bugs me, I just know when it does.

Good thing you weren't a Hawks fan in the old Stadium. You would have really hated it there with all the yelling and swearing and it got real loud too. Plus all the fights if someone wore a jersey for the other team.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I do have to agree with The Critic... Also, not only were there complaints from the broadcast booth, but there were sometimes complaints about Dan from the players families and wives. Not excessive.. but sometimes in a way only Dan could do.. he was a bit too outspoken. I like Dan a lot. I have nothing but respect for him. But when I sit in F&F I will admit that I act differently than when I am in my season seats. I just can't imagine the players families (home and visitors) were always happy with his cheering. I'm sure this was not just a Rooney & Farmer broadcasting issue.

theres only two wives i know of who complain about dan and everything else and they have since been gone.....traded away or cut loose..(their husbands anyhow)....i dont have a problem with fans being loud.... thats what going to a game is for anyhow to cheer on your team ....i know a few of those wives who are louder sometimes... ;) as well as their family members.. hell jose valentins family takes up two freakin rows in that section when they all come to a game... :D ....and they yell in spanish..... :lol: this rendition of "shut up" came from the boradcast booth...and can be attributed to one pissed off farmer... :D

Good thing you weren't a Hawks fan in the old Stadium. You would have really hated it there with all the yelling and swearing and it got real loud too. Plus all the fights if someone wore a jersey for the other team.

yeah, good thing.... :rolleyes:

I was a partial season ticket holder at the old Stadium, and they did arrest a LOT of people for being goons. gave them a nice dose of justice in the holding tanks, too. While there were too many overserved retards there, there was also a basic sense of respect for people, at least in the section I sat in.

maybe I was just lucky..........

I wore an opposing sweater when the mood struck ( Flyers, Bruins ), and never got accosted.

maybe I was just lucky...........