MLB Expanding Replay

lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
So Konerko hits a blooper that lands on the line in which he has no prayer of stretching out to a double he still gets awarded two bases because the umpire blew the call?

The ump should get a reasonable amount of discretion in where they put the baserunners. Or you can do like football does...if its questionable, run the play and see what the end result is before going to the replay.

"The ump might give a guy an extra base that could have been a close play at 2nd" is a lot better than "nobody gets anything because we blew the call"

So Konerko hits a blooper that lands on the line in which he has no prayer of stretching out to a double he still gets awarded two bases because the umpire blew the call?

I think you have to make it uniform. For every Paul Konerko who gets a base he'd never have gotten, there's an Alexei Ramirez who might have made it to 3rd.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
The ump should get a reasonable amount of discretion in where they put the baserunners. Or you can do like football does...if its questionable, run the play and see what the end result is before going to the replay.

"The ump might give a guy an extra base that could have been a close play at 2nd" is a lot better than "nobody gets anything because we blew the call"

If you give the ump some discretion on that, it's going to be two bases everytime as that's the safest call. On current fan interference calls an ump can give more than two bases but how often do you ever see that called? Not very.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
If you give the ump some discretion on that, it's going to be two bases everytime as that's the safest call. On current fan interference calls an ump can give more than two bases but how often do you ever see that called? Not very.

Because most of the time it would actually be two bases and not three. How many guys regularly hit triples anyway?

I don't know how the tennis replay system functions, but is there a reason why baseball can't use the same system as tennis when it comes to foul/fair balls down the line?

In tennis, if a ball is called out but then replay rules it in, the point is replayed. It wouldn't be fair in baseball to tell the batter that if he hits a ball that is ruled foul but then overturned by replay, all he gets is a replay on that pitch.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
I don't know how the tennis replay system functions, but is there a reason why baseball can't use the same system as tennis when it comes to foul/fair balls down the line?

Are you talking about their replay system (technology to display if ball is fair or foul) or their rules regarding a replay?

Because if it's the former, the technology's not in the stadiums yet.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
In tennis, if a ball is called out but then replay rules it in, the point is replayed. It wouldn't be fair in baseball to tell the batter that if he hits a ball that is ruled foul but then overturned by replay, all he gets is a replay on that pitch.

I was more referring to the physical/electronic system that is used in tennis, can that be installed to use for baseball?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:41 PM)
Are you talking about their replay system (technology to display if ball is fair or foul) or their rules regarding a replay?

Because if it's the former, the technology's not in the stadiums yet.

Yeah, the former. Can they install that? It works so damn well with tennis. Although I guess it might be expensive for something that won't be used very often.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
I was more referring to the physical/electronic system that is used in tennis, can that be installed to use for baseball?

I think what tennis uses is sort of like a tracking system where they actually use the ball's velocity and trajectory to determine where it actually hit.

It'd be great if they can get the technology in all baseball stadiums. It'd be a huge help for advanced metrics as well (especially fielding).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:26 PM)
Because most of the time it would actually be two bases and not three. How many guys regularly hit triples anyway?

Well I'm thinking more so for the runner that could be standing on first. There are many times where he would score on a double hit down the line.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
Yeah, the former. Can they install that? It works so damn well with tennis. Although I guess it might be expensive for something that won't be used very often.

Isn't it used after the fact in tennis? Because that still wouldn't answer the question of what do you do with the runners. I really don't think it's ever hard to judge a fair or foul ball with normal video replay in baseball.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)
Well I'm thinking more so for the runner that could be standing on first. There are many times where he would score on a double hit down the line.

And usually they give that runner 2 bases even though he might have had a shot at scoring, while sometimes for a really speedy runner the ump will give them the run.

That's still a heckuva lot more accurate than "The double never happened".

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
Isn't it used after the fact in tennis? Because that still wouldn't answer the question of what do you do with the runners. I really don't think it's ever hard to judge a fair or foul ball with normal video replay in baseball.

Yeah it's really not since chalk usually kicks up.

I still think umpire's discretion should be used for rewarding bases. I mean, they get to decide how many bases a player gets when the ball goes out of play (not every ground-rule double results with an advance of two bases). They can probably see where the runner is at the time of a call and decide how many bases the runner gets depending on where the ball was hit and the speed of the runner.

I still think umpire's discretion should be used for rewarding bases. I mean, they get to decide how many bases a player gets when the ball goes out of play (not every ground-rule double results with an advance of two bases). They can probably see where the runner is at the time of a call and decide how many bases the runner gets depending on where the ball was hit and the speed of the runner.

Actually, every ground-rule double is automatically two bases for the batter and every baserunner. It's fan interference where the umpire has the discretion to award the runners an extra base.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
Actually, every ground-rule double is automatically two bases for the batter and every baserunner. It's fan interference where the umpire has the discretion to award the runners an extra base.

You're right about that.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)

How is the chalk kicking up if not for the ball hitting it meaning it was fair?

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 02:03 PM)
How is the chalk kicking up if not for the ball hitting it meaning it was fair?

Not all umpires are great at making real-time judgments.

And I don't think it's always apparent that chalk did kick up in real-time. That's why it wouldn't be hard to see it via slow-mo instant replay.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
Not all umpires are great at making real-time judgments.

And I don't think it's always apparent that chalk did kick up in real-time. That's why it wouldn't be hard to see it via slow-mo instant replay.

I totally misread your original post about the chalk.

Obviously I'm very interested to see how this gets implemented. It's not that easy in all cases.

Here you go:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Ball hit to right center, line drive, medium depth. Guy on 3rd stays at 3rd to tag. Guy on 2nd takes off towards 3rd and is at 3rd when ball reaches fielder. Guy on 1st hangs at first only a few feet off the bag.

Ball appears to be trapped and is called a trap in real time. Guy from 3rd and 2nd score, guy on 1st makes 2nd.

Replay shows it was a catch. So there's 2 outs.

Tell me where the baserunners end up. Tell me how many runs score.

You're playing complete make-believe baseball, which is tough. Would the guy on 2nd have made it back to 2nd before a throw beat him? If you say no, would he have been out before the runner on 3rd got in to score? Did he tag up correctly? Is that now reviewable on top of the already reviewed catch? What if he was a few few off the base at 3rd. He never went back to tag, but he didn't need to because he was reacting to the no catch ruling.

Good luck.

There are just some plays that can't be reviewable and will become a bigger clusterf*** than just going with what happened on the field.

Edited by IlliniKrush