Jonathan Mayo Mock Draft

dayan024

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 08:42 AM)
I want them to pick the best available player. Christian Colon was considered a high floor SS prospect too. He appears to be ready to start his career as a bench player, or perhaps as a AAAA player.

Not for the #3 overall pick obviously, but I like each of these three pitching prospects alot

http://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2014/1/8/52875...-pitching-a-fit

Newcomb will likely be gone by the time we make our second pick, same with Medieros, but I really like the idea of taking Cameron Varga

This spring season will do wonders in clarifying how the draft will shake out, and there are always players who have huge seasons and put themselves in the discussion for top picks that previously were not on the radar. I like Kolek, but I don't see them taking a high school pitcher that high up. Rodon will be gone, leaving (for now) Hoffman, Jackson, Turner, and don't leave out Tyler Beede.

The definitely can see the Cubs taking Tyler Beede #4 overall since he is reasonably advanced in his development and would only need a season or two in the minors before jumping into the rotation.

Kolek would likely take longer than the Sox would like to develop despite having an explosive arsenal. High school arms tend to scare the crap out of me, there's too much unknown to take such a risk that high up for me. I could be wrong on him though.

I'm a bit concerned about Hoffman's lack of dominance against sketchy competition in Conference USA. Why isn't he striking out more batters? I need to see a step forward to solidify him as the second best pitcher in this draft, not just hear about his great stuff.

Gatewood I am not a fan of because of the questions surrounding his hit tool. The power gets tons of praise, but I just picture him never making enough contact and fizzling out despite being seen as a "5 tool talent". I'd much rather have Turner who doesn't have much power, but will hit for average/plus speed/solid in the field

Jackson is an interesting bat for sure, and I could see him developing into a star. His value that high in the draft is really at catcher though, not a corner OF. Corner OF are much easier to find and develop than premium catchers, but due to the doubts about his ability to stay at catcher I think the Sox pass.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
I think Trea Turner looks like a special player.

Hoffman has not impressed me. He has to have a really big year or else he's more like a 2nd rounder to me.

I like turner, and he may have the highest floor of any positional player in the draft. I would be happy drafting him knowing his chances of making the majors is very high.

In this draft it would be hard to pass up a premium arm though.

I still have questions about Hoffman's lack of dominance over two college seasons. Yes he posted a 12.21 K/9 in the Cape Cod league, but also was more hittable than you would like giving up 20 hits in 24 innings pitched with a 3.70 ERA. The 9-9 record, 3.37 ERA, 184 innings pitched, 159 hits allowed, 60 walks, 139 strikeouts, 1.19 WHIP, 6.80 K/9ip over two college seasons concerns me a bit. Yes, I know he changed his mechanics prior to the Cape Cod league season, but his strikeout numbers need to substantially improve before I would draft him that high up.

The reason the Sox will draft a pitcher I feel is that outside of Erik Johnson, and possibly Tyler Danish, the farm system doesn't have much in terms of high upside pitchers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 09:20 AM)
I think Trea Turner looks like a special player.

Hoffman has not impressed me. He has to have a really big year or else he's more like a 2nd rounder to me.

I like turner, and he may have the highest floor of any positional player in the draft. I would be happy drafting him knowing his chances of making the majors is very high.

In this draft it would be hard to pass up a premium arm though.

I still have questions about Hoffman's lack of dominance over two college seasons. Yes he posted a 12.21 K/9 in the Cape Cod league, but also was more hittable than you would like giving up 20 hits in 24 innings pitched with a 3.70 ERA. The 9-9 record, 3.37 ERA, 184 innings pitched, 159 hits allowed, 60 walks, 139 strikeouts, 1.19 WHIP, 6.80 K/9ip over two college seasons concerns me a bit. Yes, I know he changed his mechanics prior to the Cape Cod league season, but his strikeout numbers need to substantially improve before I would draft him that high up.

The reason the Sox will draft a pitcher I feel is that outside of Erik Johnson, and possibly Tyler Danish, the farm system doesn't have much in terms of high upside pitchers.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 23, 2014 -> 10:09 AM)
Yeesh. If Hoffman gets hurt and barely pitches some team is still going to take him in the 1st round.

I was thinking more along the lines of "I, Hahn, who has only one first round pick and it is at number 3"