MLB to ban

Soxfest

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:09 PM)
None of those are related to guys intentionally going to to cause bodily harm. If an ump believes a guy is throwing at another intentionally, that person is warned or thrown out and then fined. If it's done unintentionally, there is no consequence. It's all about intent.

You may accidentally step on someone's ankle and crush it running to first (see Tim Hudson) or you may accidentally run head first into another player (see Beltran/Cameron from about 7 years ago), or whatever other accidents you can think of. You aren't going to accidentally try and destroy a catcher by colliding with him.

Catchers take enough abuse. There's no need to subject them to getting blindsided by a 220 pound dude comprised entirely of muscle barreling in at full speed.

Yeah. A completely non-contact sport has one random play where "anything goes". It makes no sense. These men are not trained to hit or take hits like in the NFL (well, at least how the NFL used to before contact was stupidly banned from practice). This is a play that will not be missed in baseball.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
But do they start enforcing the rule that catchers can't block the plate before having the ball? If not, this creates a huge double standard. The catcher can stand right in the way with impunity, knowing that the runner will have to go out of his way or be penalized.

Frankly, I think they should take blocking the plate out of the equation entirely. You can, say, shield it, but if the base runner doesn't have a clear path to the base, then it's completely unfair for them too.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:03 AM)
I have no problem with the catcher getting run over if they are blocking the plate. It is when the catcher is in front of the plate or barely covering it and the runner aims for the catcher instead of trying to score that I don't like. But if they are going to ban collisions, they had better start enforcing no blocking of the plate without the ball or runners are going to start coming in spikes up.

This is how I feel as well. No problem with it as long as they consistently call it when the catcher blocks the plate.

QUOTE (StL @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 07:15 AM)
Pete Rose is none to thrilled about the ruling:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-intends-b...19721--mlb.html

How bizzarre, those are the exact same points I made to a friend of mine who is all for this ruling. His answer was "you got to keep the players safe", so I said fine, then ban breaking up double plays at 2nd, make the batters wear shin guards and elbow pads, make the pitchers wear helmets, make every OF wall padded. There will always be things that are not safe for players to do, that doesn't mean it should be changed. There is a risk/reward for making millions upon millions of dollars each year. Don't want to risk getting run over? Don't block the plate. Or don't be catcher. Forfeit that contract and go be a real estate agent. Yes, some safety things like wearing helmets in the NFL and hockey are obvious because they don't change the game at all, but s*** like this annoys me.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
Yeah. A completely non-contact sport has one random play where "anything goes". It makes no sense. These men are not trained to hit or take hits like in the NFL (well, at least how the NFL used to before contact was stupidly banned from practice). This is a play that will not be missed in baseball.

LMAO at some of the comments in here.

Exactly this, Steve. It's a pointless play. No one goes to a baseball game thinking OMG I HOPE I SEE A PLATE COLLISION TODAY!!!

It's a play that just screams for injuries. Catcher's don't want it, they are sitting ducks. It's a crazy physical play in a sport that is not physical at all (you can save your breaking up a double play crap, that's not physical). It's never made sense in the sport.

Not everything in America has to be a physical sport. Go watch football or hockey if you want hits. Baseball is a different game that isn't enhanced by this stupid, pointless play that literally adds zero enjoyment to any game. This isn't the Coliseum in Rome, where fans need to watch people die. Get over it.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/02/27/ber...late-collision/

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
But do they start enforcing the rule that catchers can't block the plate before having the ball? If not, this creates a huge double standard. The catcher can stand right in the way with impunity, knowing that the runner will have to go out of his way or be penalized.

You can bet your ass obstruction will be enforced, it'll likely be HS rules at home plate, or close to it.