Anyone else worried about the freaking Tigers next

sox-r-us

How many times have we beat the good teams simply to get into a funk against the cellar dwellers?

Man I better see the Sox play with the same intensity and fire against the tiggers and basically pummel them since this is the last time they meet these guys this season (I believe)

This Detroit series has me scared..... :huh:

Yeah exactly my sentiments. We can't afford to go from pitching and hitting great in New York, to not putting any runs on the board against the Tigers and wasting great pitching performances which we have done over there this year. One slip up in any series to come and it could come back to haunt us.

How many times have we beat the good teams simply to get into a funk against the cellar dwellers?

Man I better see the Sox play with the same intensity and fire against the tiggers and basically pummel them since this is the last time they meet these guys this season (I believe)

This Detroit series has me scared.....  :huh:

I think it's a really big mistake to look past the Yank-Mees to a cellar dweller. Lets worry about the next game before we worry about the next series.

I think it's a really big mistake to look past the Yank-Mees to a cellar dweller. Lets worry about the next game before we worry about the next series.

your right.... but i would like to see this team develop some swagger....

this town loves swagger

I was thinking it, i hope we can crush their ass. But we will take a lot of unknown pitchers...and i assume you know how we do agst unknown pitchers.

Tigers have beaten the Sox six freakin times. I sat through the Saturday night game when Gary "Cy Young" Knotts beat Esty 1-0 on May 24. Heck, Sox needed extras to beat them on a Crede homer the next day -- or we would be talking about two three-game sweeps by the Timid Tigers.

I doubt if they have beaten any other team more than three or at most four times

that, alone, should motivate this group not to have another snoozefest like the last time they passed through Comerica in early July and scored three runs in three games and got ... well, we all know what happened.

BEAT MOOSE!!!!!

I think we'll hold our own against the Tigers... what I want to see is KC lose a game or two. I would feel a LOT better with a 4 or 5 game lead playing them at the end of September. Leaves room for the brain farts on how to play fundimental baseball...

I think we'll hold our own against the Tigers... what I want to see is KC lose a game or two. I would feel a LOT better with a 4 or 5 game lead playing them at the end of September. Leaves room for the brain farts on how to play fundimental baseball...

True, but like I said a couple of weeks ago, we're going to be playing a lot of meaningful games down the stretch, and IMO that's going to be great for us. In essence, nearly every game is a playoff game, and that's going to help us prepare for the pressures of a playoff atmosphere. In 2000, we didn't play a meaningful game all summer because of our division lead, then when it was time to turn it on against Seattle, we couldn't do it. This year, if we make it to the playoffs, we'll be keyed in and we'll obviously be playing good baseball (because to make it, we're going to HAVE to be on our game).

True, but like I said a couple of weeks ago, we're going to be playing a lot of meaningful games down the stretch, and IMO that's going to be great for us.  In essence, nearly every game is a playoff game, and that's going to help us prepare for the pressures of a playoff atmosphere.  In 2000, we didn't play a meaningful game all summer, then when it was time to turn it on in Seattle, we couldn't.  This year, if we make it to the playoffs, we'll be keyed in and obviously playing good baseball (because to make it, we're going to HAVE to be on our game).

Agree... but I still don't trust that this team has completely gotten over the mistakes of early in the season. Their confidence is definitely up. The clubhouse atmosphere is amazing. They are having fun again. Finally!

On a brighter note... Seattle appears to possibly be cramping up a bit. And I would much rather play Oakland. No real reason other than the sting of 2000 with Seattle still hurts.

Guest Ncorgbl
True, but like I said a couple of weeks ago, we're going to be playing a lot of meaningful games down the stretch, and IMO that's going to be great for us.  In essence, nearly every game is a playoff game, and that's going to help us prepare for the pressures of a playoff atmosphere.  In 2000, we didn't play a meaningful game all summer because of our division lead, then when it was time to turn it on against Seattle, we couldn't do it.  This year, if we make it to the playoffs, we'll be keyed in and we'll obviously be playing good baseball (because to make it, we're going to HAVE to be on our game).

In the second half of 2000 we played a few meaningful games, particularly when Cleveland got their regulars back from the DL and made a run at us. Our pitching staff was devastated by injuries to both starters and relievers, our 3Bman had a hamstring, our SS had an abdominal bruise, and our 2Bman had a collision at home plate that had him off center. Some thought the Indians would catch us.

True, but like I said a couple of weeks ago, we're going to be playing a lot of meaningful games down the stretch, and IMO that's going to be great for us.  In essence, nearly every game is a playoff game, and that's going to help us prepare for the pressures of a playoff atmosphere.  In 2000, we didn't play a meaningful game all summer because of our division lead, then when it was time to turn it on against Seattle, we couldn't do it.  This year, if we make it to the playoffs, we'll be keyed in and we'll obviously be playing good baseball (because to make it, we're going to HAVE to be on our game).

I think a bigger difference is that this year you have many more players that have been through a playoff series before. How many guys from the 2000 team had playoff experience? Thomas, C. Johnson, H. Perry, I think that's it.

I think the starting pitching scares people this year too. I don't think any team in 2000 was worried about playing the Sox with the mighty Sirotka, Parque, Baldwin and Eldred taking the hill. Especially since 3? of them pitched hurt in the playoffs