2014 LatAm Pipeline Preview from FutureSox

NorthSideSox72

I could honestly say that I just started playing attention to the minors a couple seasons ago so I really don't know who really any of these international signings are but from your write up, I was definitely impressed with Carlos Diaz's pitching numbers. Since he is turning 20, why hasn't he made his way to the states yet?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 03:41 PM)
I could honestly say that I just started playing attention to the minors a couple seasons ago so I really don't know who really any of these international signings are but from your write up, I was definitely impressed with Carlos Diaz's pitching numbers. Since he is turning 20, why hasn't he made his way to the states yet?

He's the only guy I wrote about based mostly on numbers/age, so it was a bit of a shot in the dark. As for why he isn't in the states yet, there could be a number of reasons. One, he may have started his development later, maybe even signed at 18 instead of 16 or 17. Alternately, it could be his stuff just isn't that good but plays well against DSL competition. Hard to say for sure. But if he's not in the US in 2014 at all, it is likely the latter.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
He's the only guy I wrote about based mostly on numbers/age, so it was a bit of a shot in the dark. As for why he isn't in the states yet, there could be a number of reasons. One, he may have started his development later, maybe even signed at 18 instead of 16 or 17. Alternately, it could be his stuff just isn't that good but plays well against DSL competition. Hard to say for sure. But if he's not in the US in 2014 at all, it is likely the latter.

Ok thank you.

I am really excited by what is going on internationally with the Sox, with Rick Hahn and Marco Paddy the Sox are in shape to become serious players at the INTL market. With that being said the prospect who intrigues me the most is Luis Castillo, prototypical 3rd baseman with above average power tools.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2014 -> 03:22 PM)
I wrote a little piece looking at some of the recent (2011-present) Latin American signings in the Sox system, and who to watch for to "pop" this season. Give it a read and discuss.

Thanks for the article Matt. These young international guys go dark (understandably) after their signing announcement so it's good to hear a little something about them. Thanks for the reminder we made some investments in Latin American, hope one of them comes to fruition!