44 members have voted

1. 1. Deadline deals give Steve Stone something to talk about on air

• No
    • Yes, 1
    • Yes, 2
    • Yes, 3
    • Yes, 4+
    • Fire Robin

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 07:55 AM)
I'm not sure the Giants would part with any kind of ring Barry Bonds used to put around his wood. Maybe Hahn gets a duffelbag (sp?) of clearance items from the SF tourism office. Few bumper stickers, lots of pamphlets, a couple t-shirts, definitely a Golden Gate bridge keychain or 2, etc. Maybe they even make him a custom t-shirt that says "I traded Gordon Beckham to San Francisco and all I got was this T-shirt..." and then on the back it says "Steal!"

"I left my Gordo in San Francisco"

I said one. I think it'll be one of Danks, Dunn, or Beckham...if a trade is made.

The Sox are not really "in" it. They have a far outside chance at the second wildcard, and a lot of things will have to go right for that to happen. At the same time, the Sox aren't way out of it, either. I don't see the Sox shipping Danks off unless they get a decent enough return. Dunn or Beckham could be dealt for less, and there are guys who can fill their spots.

This is looking lilke a boring trade deadline.

AL DH OPS:

Sox: .856 (2nd)

Yankees: .678 (11th)

A's: .675 (12th)

Mariners: .545 (14th)

If Dunn is not on one of these teams by the end of the day, I will be shocked. I can't imagine it would take a lot to get him, since the Sox gain little by keeping him.

EDIT: Pittsburgh and Milwaukee are 13th and 14th in the NL in 1B OPS, so they really ought to be looking at Dunn as well. His defense isn't bad enough to overcome a 150 point improvement in OPS.

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
AL DH OPS:

Sox: .856 (2nd)

Yankees: .678 (11th)

A's: .675 (12th)

Mariners: .545 (14th)

If Dunn is not on one of these teams by the end of the day, I will be shocked. I can't imagine it would take a lot to get him, since the Sox gain little by keeping him.

EDIT: Pittsburgh and Milwaukee are 13th and 14th in the NL in 1B OPS, so they really ought to be looking at Dunn as well. His defense isn't bad enough to overcome a 150 point improvement in OPS.

Good point. Dunn would be a decent add for any of those teams, and he wouldn't cost much at all.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 05:21 AM)
So you listed a 1B, two IFs, and two AA OFs as better replacements for Viciedo than Danks, which makes no sense. On top of that, the only one of those players that actually has a shot of being an important member of our next playoff team is Semien, who hopefully will be replacing Beckham at 2B in the near future. Him playing OF is possible but unlikely, especially this year.

If we trade Viciedo, Danks or Taylor will take his spot on the roster until Garcia is ready.

Saladino and Semien can both play the OF.

Micah Johnson's most likely the choice for 2B, so that leaves Semien as a jack of all trades replacing Leury Garcia unless Alexei Ramirez is traded.

I wouldn't put Semien in CF, but I'm sure he would be fine in LF. The point is that if Garcia is playing in September in RF/LF/DH, then they should give those at-bats to someone who has a future with the White Sox.

Michael Taylor is already 29. We're dumping Viciedo at age 25, why would we want to invest time and development with Taylor at the major league level? Sierra makes just as much, if not more, sense than Taylor. We know what we have in Danks, he's a 4th/5th outfielder at best.

Of course, they also have to trade/waive DeAza if they want to open up LF, since what's the point of keeping DeAza on the roster? DeAza is either going to sit on the bench or take away time from another player.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxnGiants @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)
I think we will add a guy and trade a guy.

1. Gordon will be traded to the NL for a low level prospect

2. We will acquire Cervelli from the Yanks for a mid prospect, nothing special.

Why would we want a veteran back-up in Cervelli?

How is that the solution to the catching problem?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2014 -> 05:35 AM)
Why would we want a veteran back-up in Cervelli?

How is that the solution to the catching problem?

Its not so much what I would do, just what I think they'll do. Really, more of a wild hunch that I think they want to bring someone in to mentor Flowers. Long shot, granted, but I also think Cervelli may be undervalued and Hahn might snatch him up.