'Ace'(?) or 'Tub O' Goo'? Part 24

Guest Ncorgbl

Guest Ncorgbl
On that type of a play?  Walker is running full out to the OF from his 2B position, as an IF your instinct would be to make the closest play (being 2B).  For him to be able to miss the ball, pick it up, turn around towards the IF, and still be able to spot Thomas far away from 3B, and still have enough time to get a throw there to beat him by plenty means that Frank was way too close to the bag.  He must have been practically standing on the bag, or got a terrible break on the ball running to 3B.

Thomas was the lead runner at 2nd, and the one I was watching as the play had him in line of sight. Yes, he was just a very few feet off the bag anticipating the ball to be caught, and I really don't know where Maggs was. I've see the infield fly rule applied in the outfield in the past, but that was very shallow, only feet behind the infield. I don't know the rule, but think it s the umpire's descretion for a call. Last night's ball was too deep for the rule to be implemented, but it had the same effect on the runners. I don't think it was bad base running at all, just a bad break in circumstances.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On that type of a play?  Walker is running full out to the OF from his 2B position, as an IF your instinct would be to make the closest play (being 2B).  For him to be able to miss the ball, pick it up, turn around towards the IF, and still be able to spot Thomas far away from 3B, and still have enough time to get a throw there to beat him by plenty means that Frank was way too close to the bag.  He must have been practically standing on the bag, or got a terrible break on the ball running to 3B.

Thomas was the lead runner at 2nd, and the one I was watching as the play had him in line of sight. Yes, he was just a very few feet off the bag anticipating the ball to be caught, and I really don't know where Maggs was. I've see the infield fly rule applied in the outfield in the past, but that was very shallow, only feet behind the infield. I don't know the rule, but think it s the umpire's descretion for a call. Last night's ball was too deep for the rule to be implemented, but it had the same effect on the runners. I don't think it was bad base running at all, just a bad break in circumstances.

Corg.. were you at the game last night?

My Catch 22, was trying to avoid this thread but there you such a good post that I am now in this thread after all saying

thank you for an intelligent post -

welcome to soxtalk!  :cheers  :cheers  :cheers

LOL! I wasn't sure anybody would "catch" on, but you sure did. :cheers to you and thanks.

well, hell[er], nothing gets by me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(at least nothing literary...)

(most of the time...)

(maybe...)

:lol:

Speaking of the infield fly rule, I always have wanted a Sox infielder to purposely drop a pop up when the infield fly is in effect. I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few players who don't know the rule, and would become confused , and would take off to the next base, for an easy double, or triple play.

Speaking of the infield fly rule, I always have wanted a Sox infielder to purposely drop a pop up when the infield fly is in effect. I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few players who don't know the rule, and would become confused , and would take off to the next base, for an easy double, or triple play.

Yeah, but we traded Jimenez a couple of months ago...

Yeah, but we traded Jimenez a couple of months ago...

Thats more reason to do it. If they did it while he was playing the infield, and threw the ball to him, he'd think that there was a force at second and screw it all up.

Guest Ncorgbl

When called, the infield fly rule is signaled by the umpire, hard to miss for a runner. It is ruled an out before the ball lands, and the runners protected from being forced out, even if the ball is allowed to drop.

When called, the infield fly rule is signaled by the umpire, hard to miss for a runner. It is ruled an out before the ball lands, and the runners protected from being forced out, even if the ball is allowed to drop.

I still think there are players who would be confused. It wouldn't hurt to try it, the batter is out anyway.

I don't think it does, as stated in a previous reply here, so I'll be asking again.

You were at the game and didn't see that it was a shallow pop up to the outfield that should've been caught and kept the runners from advancing? Once it dropped everyone had to advance, so someone was going to get thrown out. It was a play that demonstrated why the infield fly rule exists, but was too far out of the infield to be called.

The fact that Magglio easily made it into 2nd base, and Frank had a better look at the play does nothing for you? It was a bad play by Frank, he was out by a mile. I'm not blaming the game on him, but if was one of your whipping boys out on 2nd, you'd have a different opinion.

No, I wouldn't. The ball should've been caught, the runners saw that and had to stay close to tag up if they had any play after the catch. Maggs is only slightly faster than Frank, and may have 'cheated' a bit on his lead, he does that a lot, but who would you figure to throw out if you were the fielder?

This post brought a thought to mind. Frank had to stay close to the bag since second was so close to the ball. Maggs was able to cheat a little more away from first because of distance.

I don't think it does, as stated in a previous reply here, so I'll be asking again.

You were at the game and didn't see that it was a shallow pop up to the outfield that should've been caught and kept the runners from advancing? Once it dropped everyone had to advance, so someone was going to get thrown out. It was a play that demonstrated why the infield fly rule exists, but was too far out of the infield to be called.

The fact that Magglio easily made it into 2nd base, and Frank had a better look at the play does nothing for you? It was a bad play by Frank, he was out by a mile. I'm not blaming the game on him, but if was one of your whipping boys out on 2nd, you'd have a different opinion.

No, I wouldn't. The ball should've been caught, the runners saw that and had to stay close to tag up if they had any play after the catch. Maggs is only slightly faster than Frank, and may have 'cheated' a bit on his lead, he does that a lot, but who would you figure to throw out if you were the fielder?

On that type of a play? Walker is running full out to the OF from his 2B position, as an IF your instinct would be to make the closest play (being 2B). For him to be able to miss the ball, pick it up, turn around towards the IF, and still be able to spot Thomas far away from 3B, and still have enough time to get a throw there to beat him by plenty means that Frank was way too close to the bag. He must have been practically standing on the bag, or got a terrible break on the ball running to 3B.

Most infileders would be thinking to get the lead runner, inho.