Ortiz to Sox

Cerbaho-WG

Guest hotsoxchick1
Originally posted by Molto

you guys are living too much in 2001. 

seriously, Lee was a solid defensive player in 2000, was bad in 2001, and was solid again this past season.  people just continually remember 2001 and the constant mistakes he made. 

he wasn't bad in 2002, especially since he was playing left field, not a position for defensive wizards.

come on malto... lee is no defensive wizard anywhere on the field .. not in 2001 and certianly not in 2002 either.....face it he just cant catch the ball....lol

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's also nowhere near as bad as advertised. At least the guy has worked his ass of both at his approach at the plate and in the field.

With his potential and the actual fact he seems to work hard, is one reason I wouldn't mind keeping him.

If the deal was going to go, I think it already would of. KW has balked at giving up Konerko, imo, and will look elsewhere and wait and see if Sabean comes crawling back.

Oh ya, officially put me as part of the theory that we aren't going to get Ortiz.

Originally posted by theoldroman

We got Russ Ortiz? Are you positive? THAT WOULD BE GREAT! Screw Koney, just give me some pitching and well be great! I mean, we still have Frank, Maggs, Crede, Jimenez and others for the offense but we have no one other than Buerhle for pitching! Ortiz is a proven winner, hell be great! Koney also pulled a huge choke job down the stretch last year. Real hitters like Frank and Maggs came alive down the stretch. You can tell a good hitter from a great one by how they do in the late months. Koneys not as good as you all think. If we get Ortiz and Snow (Ainsworth isnt even neccessary but he would sweeten it) for Konerko that would be awesome. If the Colon trade happens too, we would have the following lineup:

Jimenez SS

Vidro 2B

Thomas DH

Ordonez RF

Snow 1B (Snows also got a great glove, which Koney doesnt)

Crede 3B

Lee LF

Rowand CF

Barrett C

Rotation:

Buehrle 

Ortiz

Colon

Wright 

Rauch

We would be easy ALC favorites, barring a huge choke...

"SCREW KONEY?????" ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND????? This guy averaged around .300 ALL OF LAST YEAR, was an ALL-STAR (and probable ALL-STAR MVP if Selig didn't cancel the All-Star game), who hits for POWER, who led the AL for a time in RBI's, is the visible leader of this team..... Jesus Christ..... I could go on and on. Konerko did what he could offensively to keep this team above .500 in late May and early June (while the Sox were still in contention) while "real hitter" Frank Thomas did what he could to stay above the "Mendoza Line." "Koneys not as good as you all think"????? Tell me Roman..... besides Giambi, who's better in the AL? And if you think JT Snow could do the job that Konerko did this year I'll know that you and KW are huffing off the same bag of FANTASY DUST that caused KW to make the Ritchie and K-layton deals. And stop all the nonsense in your posts that the Colon/Vidro trade is gonna happen until it does. It just proves that you're living in FANTASYLAND!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

He's also nowhere near as bad as advertised.  At least the guy has worked his ass of both at his approach at the plate and in the field.

With his potential and the actual fact he seems to work hard, is one reason I wouldn't mind keeping him.

If the deal was going to go, I think it already would of.  KW has balked at giving up Konerko, imo, and will look elsewhere and wait and see if Sabean comes crawling back.

Oh ya, officially put me as part of the theory that we aren't going to get Ortiz.

lee is that bad in the field...i cant count how many times DJ said last year stuff like...carlos got a bad jump on that ball..or calros tok a bad angle there ..as routine outs fell in for extra base hits...

and do remember the game in anaheim where carlos failed to run after a foul ball down the left field line that fell into foul territory and not the stands??...would have been the thrid out of the inning...8 runs later before we finally got that 3rd out anaheim was on its way to a 19 run victory or carzy number like that..

plus how many times did guys go 1st to 3rd or 2nd to home on lee on shallow hits where the would have never challenged any other outfielder??.

all these things add up over a course of a season..and the bad thing is they are not things that a lot of team really look at..so to keep a guy like your gonna pay for his bat but your not going to get any money back for his glove...so youll always overpay for a guy like him

PhilRogers wrote this in his latest column (which is speculating on the possiblity of the Rocket pitching in Chicago, BTW):

"White Sox general manager Ken Williams similarly returned empty handed. He was having discussions with San Francisco up until Monday afternoon about Russ Ortiz for a package of young players—the likes of Willie Harris, Jeff Liefer and a pitching prospect like Corwin Malone or Josh Stewart—but didn't make a deal."

I didn't recall seeing this mentioned on this site, so I thought I'd pass it along.

Winter meeting tidbits

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Jayson Stark

ESPN.com

NASHVILLE -- The Giants' party was scheduled to leave the winter meetings and fly home Monday night. 

Instead, they changed their flights, checked back into their rooms and were talking about potential deals involving Russ Ortiz.

The most likely destination for Ortiz at the moment: the White Sox, for prospects. 

The Giants are over budget. And Ortiz will make $4.2 million next year. Coincidentally, Edgardo Alfonzo just signed a deal in which his salary next year, counting his prorated signing bonus, happens to be $4 million

Everyone is making it clear that we dont need to offer PK or Lee, just prospects, YA HEAR THAT KW, DONT GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT!!!!