Guerra and Quintana look to hit "super 2"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
So you are saying middle relievers with a FIP at 3.95 and an xFIP at 4.44 are very effective out of the bullpen, and the type of guys the Sox should pay through arb years?

I am saying that there is very little risk involved in bringing back a player who is Super 2 eligible for approximately $1-1.5 million after he pitched better than his peripheral numbers projected he would pitch this year.

You must really be bored if you are trying to bait this hard.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
I am saying that there is very little risk involved in bringing back a player who is Super 2 eligible for approximately $1-1.5 million after he pitched better than his peripheral numbers projected he would pitch this year.

You must really be bored if you are trying to bait this hard.

I am not trying to bait this, but if Greg pointed out his ERA and was upset the Sox let him go, you can bet these numbers would be used to slam him and you did say he was quite effective this year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
I am not trying to bait this, but if Greg pointed out his ERA and was upset the Sox let him go, you can bet these numbers would be used to slam him and you did say he was quite effective this year.

I'd be upset if they let Guerra go. I would have been upset if they non-tendered Addison Reed if he put up the season he had with the Sox. I would be upset if they even non-tendered Nate Jones, and he might not even pitch in 2015.

There's a difference between justifying a trade or why a move was made and simply releasing a fairly good player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
That contract will end up changing the game. I think you will see teams like Pittsburgh, Houston, and Tampa try and sign guys to long-term deals prior to or shortly after call up and those players' agents will say "let's increase his salary if he qualifies as a Super 2."

George Springer reportedly turned down 7/$23 from the Astros. It's still a joke of an offer by them, but if they had offered him a boost in compensation if he reached Super 2 status - say 7/$33 - do you think he turns that down?

Not necessarily. Teams that don't have a lot of cash started doing that early with players. Rays locked up Longoria to a friendly deal after his rookie year and they've done the same with pitching and Pirates have done this with McCutchen, Marte and attempted to with Polanco.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Sep 30, 2014 -> 12:01 PM)
Not necessarily. Teams that don't have a lot of cash started doing that early with players. Rays locked up Longoria to a friendly deal after his rookie year and they've done the same with pitching and Pirates have done this with McCutchen, Marte and attempted to with Polanco.

Not sure you're following exactly what I'm saying. I'm well aware of those examples of young players signing contracts, but if the Cubs approached Kris Bryant about signing away some possible future earnings for guaranteed payment and offered him, say, 7 years, $42 million, Bryant's agent could approach the club and say "We're OK with that, but if Kris is Super 2 eligible, we want that AAV increased respectively too." So if he is a Super 2 player, the total value of that deal may climb to 7 years, $52.5 mill or something like that.